Diablo 3 - Reaper of Souls

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would make jokes about Season 16 tie-ins that whore out the mobile game but I really don't want to give them ideas.

Needless

Toe Sucker
with the disappointment of that mobile announcement i played like 20 hours of D2 this weekend and holy fuck do i ever remember now; the soul crushing disappointment of hell pit runs, forgetting to remove a MF item only to have that Monarch finally drop.. as rare ;(

god d2 owns

xzi

Mouthbreather
I do like their seasonal themes but they don't really add that much to the game.

Also I fully believe Kripp, he's been buddybuddy with a lot of blizzard devs for a very long time now. I'm sure they're working on something like they've even said that is more than a mobile game, but fucking yikes at even thinking to announce it.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I wouldn't be surprised if D4 has been scrapped/reworked multiple times. Same shit happened with D3. Especially with big changes in the roster at blizzard, that shit's ripe for "changes in direction."

They're also watching other ARPGs lean more heavily into build/system complexity and be rewarded for it, which seems to go against Blizzard's core ideals at this point, which probably raises internal concerns.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You know the funny thing is we weren't expecting much. In my circle we were all predicting a new patch at most with new items and shit, maybe a Druid class. We were almost certain D2:Remastered was getting announced. And of course one person in the group said its going to be a mobile game. All of us laughed at him and said we aren't expecting much but Blizzard wouldn't tea bag us like that. I'm sure that same scenario played out across a ton of other groups and guilds. Literally got trolled by the worst expected outcome of that shit.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't be surprised if D4 has been scrapped/reworked multiple times. Same shit happened with D3. Especially with big changes in the roster at blizzard, that shit's ripe for "changes in direction."

They're also watching other ARPGs lean more heavily into build/system complexity and be rewarded for it, which seems to go against Blizzard's core ideals at this point, which probably raises internal concerns.
They had said even before the Blizzcon debacle they were working on multiple projects and they said during blizcon they were, there's no reason not to believe it. The issue is they didn't announce shit in the end, so nothing's guaranteed. D4 might go the way Titan went where it's in dev for like 7years and then eventually cancelled. And what are the other projects really? Surely D3 is done for by now, or maybe they have one last class pack? If they did surely they could have cobbled together 30secs of early footage to show off with some design art. Maybe that D1/D2 remake people have been talking about since they've done both SC1 and War3 now. But again, why couldn't they just announce that? Obviously not coming out soon with them still working on WC3, but surely they have at least something to show for it already?

It just feels weird that they couldn't get anything prepared at all to show along the mobile shit. I get that apparently they're so tonedeaf they thought people would be extatic about playing a mobile game made by a chinese company with the Diablo IP, but surely the more the better for this type of big announcements right, like "eh guys last year Diablo had a 2square meters stand near the toilets but this year the Diablo franchise is back in full force with all these cool projects to look forward to". But instead of talking about any of these cool projects, they just say they're working on vague stuff? Are they that fucking far off you can't even show 30secs? Not a playable demo which takes a bunch of time to make, just you know, a trailer, a few shots?

xzi

Mouthbreather
You know the funny thing is we weren't expecting much. In my circle we were all predicting a new patch at most with new items and shit, maybe a Druid class. We were almost certain D2:Remastered was getting announced. And of course one person in the group said its going to be a mobile game. All of us laughed at him and said we aren't expecting much but Blizzard wouldn't tea bag us like that. I'm sure that same scenario played out across a ton of other groups and guilds. Literally got trolled by the worst expected outcome of that shit.

That's the thing dude! I was like oh, there's a switch port. Obviously the best case scenario right now is we get a druid for D3 to launch with the switch, or even just a new map/biome/whatever. That was my highest expectation which isn't very high considering they released necro around the same time they announced console ports. But... a mobile game lol

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
idk, I think you're simplifying it a bit. How much do you think it cost to develop, test, and release the necro and how much do you think it made? And then compare those number to whatever those manhours would make put on another product.

Compare that to what Path of Exile does with a tiny fraction of the budget. Yeah, I don't think hes simplifying it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
idk, I think you're simplifying it a bit. How much do you think it cost to develop, test, and release the necro and how much do you think it made? And then compare those number to whatever those manhours would make put on another product.

I bet they spent more on the cinematics that came along with the necro, then on the models / animations of the class itself.

Seems a really good business to blow several 100.000s of $ on cinematics which the average player watches once in their 800 hours playtime.

Wonder what the cost ratio of the diablo mobile reskin vs the diablo mobile cinematics is.

2:10?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I guess bingedrinking after a healthy mix of bird seed and tree roots will make you look like that yea.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
They had said even before the Blizzcon debacle they were working on multiple projects and they said during blizcon they were, there's no reason not to believe it.

They keep repeating that they are working on multiple Diablo projects, alright. Diablo mobile, Hearthstone rip-off, first person pvp moba game, dungeon keeper lite for mobile. Boom, four Diablo projects but nothing anyone wants. If they had any intention to make a D4 in the next 5 years they would mention it for damage control. But they don't, it is always multiple projects but no mention of D4. Read between the lines.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
That's not a fair comparison. GGG does not have the stable of games that Blizzard does, thus manhours have a much different opportunity cost at both companies.

Sure it is. Let's say GGG has 100 devs working on PoE and Blizzard has 10 working on Diablo. Does Blizzard make 10 times more than GGG? Easily. They have the funds to have enough man hours at a cost that will barely affect their bottom line, the tradeoffs in increased revenue with some solid Diablo 3 content or new Diablo stuff, would easily make up for it.

EDIT: Think about it. They have a practical GUARANTEE that they will get revenue from new Diablo 3 content or Diablo 4 or D2 remaster. Guarantee. 100%. It's a for sure bet. Why would you not go after this?

Fedor

<Banned>
They keep repeating that they are working on multiple Diablo projects, alright. Diablo mobile, Hearthstone rip-off, first person pvp moba game, dungeon keeper lite for mobile. Boom, four Diablo projects but nothing anyone wants. If they had any intention to make a D4 in the next 5 years they would mention it for damage control. But they don't, it is always multiple projects but no mention of D4. Read between the lines.

multiple projects

diablo book
netflix show
etc

Neki

Molten Core Raider
multiple projects

diablo book
netflix show
etc

Yeah, 'multiple' projects

Diablo Immortal Companion popup book