Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ok so I played this, got to level 25 and unlocked a lot of things.

Here's my thoughts:

4. Random events are cool, and being able to do those are great, but I feel the rewards really blow. It reminds me of Diablo Immortal. Grats on clearing this, here's your radiant chest with a blue and some gold and 4 potions you never needed to use.
5. There's still some extremely unintuitive things. Like as a necro, having to keep the golem on your hotbar for it to be able to be used at all is dumb. You basically get 2 hotbar abilities and left/right click. Unless there's another way I dont know.
6. Evade seems retarded. I dont even know what this is for.
7. I legitimately hate the dungeons. They are huge, and predictable. Oh this is a big dungeon where I'm going to have to perform a task 2-4 times to open a door to a mini boss, to open an area to the boss at the end. Bonus: Sometimes there's a second floor exactly the same.
8. I do like the skill system, although I don't like how underwhelming some of these things are.

All in all it's running a 6/10 maybe a 7/10 for me. I think the potential is there, but I cannot believe I'm playing a diablo game, and I am getting bored with it already. Even in D3, I ran act 1 like 30 times and leveled up every class to max in the open beta. After this one level 25, I'm done till release.
4. They need to redo the rarity of chests altogether. A radiant chest should have at minimum, a rare, in it. If you do an event and catch it at the ass end of it, you should get a basic chest. Events should have a participation bar altogether. The fact that I can roll up into one, tap the boss, get his loot and the events loot, in full, is just ass design.

5. You can tell its just taking up a slot just so they can balance the ability - but I agree, each ability slot should have an active that concentrates its power. The Druids wolf companions are really, really shitty versions of the skeletons. But they actually designed the druid companions section really well. In that if you press the ability, if you built them correctly - they'll create an execute action. For Druid, you poison the enemy, then send the wolves on that do X(times) the damage to enemies that are poisoned. The vines do passive damage in an area around you to individuals, but if you press it, it roots everything around you and poisons them. Etc. (It's one of the only things I can compliment the Druids designer for.)

6. Evade is built in as just another ability in my mind. Each piece of gear has a passive thats in the top portion, and boots generally have something tied to Evade. Whether its more stacks, or more move speed after a dodge, etc. The most powerful combo I found was on the Barbarian where his evade was paired with move speed buff and unstoppable would launch me into a killing spree. Which I thought of as almost an "I dare you to root/immobilize/stun me!" kind of thing. I think it'll be far more valuable when all classes are properly balanced.

7. Was somewhere, Twitter? PC Gamer? Idk where I saw it. But the dev said that they were actively trying to think ahead of their design to stop cheaters, botters etc. in their design. It ultimately looks like that boiled down to some predictable "unlock the boss" mechanics. Where as another developer has said that they are "looking into" making it more diverse before retail launch. As Im sure you'll agree, Ill believe that if/when I see it.

8. This is pretty much my take on several of the skills. There are just several sections of trees across all the classes where just one ability is far more powerful than anything else in that section. Sometimes those sections are so fucking useless that the most popular builds completely skip those sections altogether. Again, this game needs to balance the classes something fierce.

I hope they can optimize it more for non-bleeding edge computers before it launches, but I am fine paying the box price for what is already in the game. I won't be buying battle passes or cosmetics, so none of that matters to me.
Fucking lol, game is using 20gb VRAM. What is happening...
Which is one of two problems this game has for someone coming into it that isnt biased. This game runs like complete ass on machines that arent relatively new, and thats just not what Blizzard is known for. Even watching it on my g/f's 2070 Super PC, it hitches, rubber bands, loads slow etc. Thats a better computer than probably 80% of the world. The second problem is the game is poorly balanced with the classes. Like below, the Druid and to a lesser extent, the Barbarian - just shouldnt have been playable. That or they should have buffed every class out the ass, similar to League of Legends new champion releases, for beta.

These two problems are absolute shit tier marketing mistakes.
They have to do something for barb and druid for the start. Maybe not so much barb as I hear it gets much smoother and quicker later(Even in the beta). But druid just felt bad the whole way(I tried werefolf, storm and wind versions). Necro felt broken, as my pets tanked and killed everything as I spammed my 3 bone spikes across the screen and barely used resources or more then 1 charge of health pot. Sorc felt more squishy but the dps was there at least. I didn't try rogue.

Otherwise I feel like release is just going to be all the ranged classes.
All these videos of content creators shitting on Druid are going to lead to it being the most overtuned bullshit on release
Asmongold was just dogpiled today for saying exactly as much, except he made it clear its a general melee problem. Druid sucks like this, barb sucks like that arguments aren't necessary. "Do this for Barb to make it suck less, do this for Druid". No. No hairs split.

This game has a melee problem. It's not class-specific. It's a melee issue. Whether that resolves with X Y Z build or what doohickeys you slap on your character is completely irrelevant. There is a problem with melee leaning toward fairly unfun to play. As Asmon said "It gets better later" from random chatters who don't have a clue isn't an excuse for poor gameplay in Act 1. Hopefully Blizzard is paying attention and tunes melee overall. I know rogue has some builds that are moderately fun and balanced, before anyone tries to dive in and use an exception to the general rule of melee in this game.
I am trying not to log in and just binge the fuck out of every little thing on my necro. I have mild (not so mild, really) OCD that makes me want to go out and do every dungeon and unlock every bit of the map and grab every lilith statue. No... no....... save that shit for retail.

Tried a little bear druid. It sucked. Melee needs to have some built in damage reduction/absorption.
Played the Sorcerer last weekend, barely died unless I was doing something dumb/not paying attention. Was busy yesterday, heard how powerful the Necro was (Watched my G/F play it. Its every bit as OP as the Sorcerer.) - So I avoided it and played the Druid. Leveled the Druid up to 25 and put some gear on it, but even though it hits on the "theme" a bit - it is by far the weakest class out of all of them.

A lot of the skills use too much "spirit" (resources) and even when you get the passive that increases spirit gain and spirit usage for damage - your abilities are just too one dimensional to be worth as much as they are. I turned off the spirit usage for more damage passives and I can get out a few more uses out of the entire pool. But then it does way less damage and still doesnt deal with trash properly. I then tried to go with stats that would make me overly tanky in comparison to the damage with Thorns etc. and.. then you just do too little damage and thorns dont take care of bosses at the same rate you recover life. Never mind your abilities hitting like wet noodles. The last build I had the most success with and that was stacking poison damage and being tanky - but then you're just trying to outlast everything thats challenging. All different variations, and even the legendary builds Ive seen online just suck on the Druid and can barely (if at all) kill the Den Mother. If you've only played the Barbarian, or the Druid - swap to a Necro and you'll see the polar opposites of the power spectrum and just how badly balanced they are.

--//
If the developers really have a say in the game - they need to heavily concentrate on the performance of the game and balance the classes. If they can pull those two things off before launch - they'll knock it out of the park for a while to come. If they address these issues down the road, the game will get some positive press - but will have completely missed the boat on "what could have been." Truth be told, I think if you have friends to play this with - it would be dumb to miss playing something new with them. But I sure as fuck dont think they are going to change much of anything before release and thats kind of sad.

• 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Anyone bought keys to open the locked chests? I found one and decided to TP to town and get a key, but the chest was replaced when I returned. :p

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Controller support.
I have PoE on PS4 now lol, plays great.

Sound desgin, music, graphics, story, the feel of skills that give them weight, being able to sit someone down and say have fun and not have them ask you 10000 questions in the first hour cause it isn't an incomprehensible mess to new players, being able to try out different skills without rerolling a character.

I mean the issue is you are looking at a beta that goes to lvl 25, has no horses for quickly getting around implemented, late game not implemented, end game systems not implemented, and comparing it to ALL of PoE.

If PoE released a beta today of JUST Act 1, with the only skills available being act 1 gems, NOONE WOULD BUY IT.
I disagree, in fact the PoE beta which I think was the first 2 acts was better than the D4 beta!

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Anyone bought keys to open the locked chests? I found one and decided to TP to town and get a key, but the chest was replaced when I returned. :p
Ive found plenty of them and always keep about 100 obo worth of keys on me. I usually fill up to 550 or w/e the cap is before I run out of keys. You have to do the math in this situation - as one key is 20 obo. If you roll with obo at the shop its at minimum, what, 40 obo? Where as that 20 obo key unlocks a chest that may have multiple items. I have a theory that those chests were once "loot boxes" and they decided to take them out and nerf them into the dirt. But theyre still worth the extra effort in keeping keys on your character. Just wish they were account wide.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Ya know, I hate voice acting in most games too. That doesn't mean that younger people who didn't grow up back in our days find voice acting as stupid and meaningless as we do. I know a lot of people, some who aren't even really much younger than me, who absolutely love all the voice acting in games. I know it's hard to accept, but you and I aren't the only people in the world that companies are trying to sell games to.

To be clear, I'm here because I find it fascinating watching people unable to make rational arguments.

For instance, your anecdote about nebulous "people" you know (a lot, even, allegedly) who like a generalized thing... that relies on a misrepresentation of my beliefs or argument... That relies on a personal appeal that the problem is I'm having a hard time coming to terms with something.

I don't hate voice acting. I hate poor, wasteful decisions by companies that want my money for current and future projects. As I very clearly addressed in the post you quoted and thought you were responding too.

They've put a lot of effort, money and time into a bunch of one-off side quests that I don't believe even need to be in the game. And your argument is you know a ton of young people and people not that young too who generally like voice acting? That's really retarded, sir.

Unless you're trying to make an argument this Diablo is being uniquely designed and marketed to these young people you don't attempt to define? Please do, that would be a funny argument.

• 1Like

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

A couple, but didn't seem too interesting. Think I got a mediocre rare from one. So exactly as expected, just another whack at low odds loot pinatas.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
What's actually better in D4 compared to PoE?
Okay dude. Go troll somewhere else. If we had PoE devs here themselves they'd probably admit much of their game is inferior to D4.

Where PoE has a niche is unique game systems - not its production values.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Interesting bug on Xbox. When shit posting and the Xbox goes darker into inactive mode, it sticks there in game. Happened to me once in a boss fight, too, but thought it was some visual mechanic. Have to go out to the home screen and back in to lighten it back. New TV so maybe something weird Dolby vision turning off until the game reloads.

amigo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Every class is gonna have 1-2 cookiecutter builds and that's it.
How long before they put in D3 sets with 5x dps increase or some retarded shit like that to tell you what and how to play?

Modern Diablo players are just like the actionbar in D3: limited mental capacity, unable to know more than ~1/10 of what they've leanred.

• 1Moron

Chris

Potato del Grande
They've put a lot of effort, money and time into a bunch of one-off side quests that I don't believe even need to be in the game.
It's insane how many forgettable filler side quests RPGs have now.

I did a bunch yesterday and the only one I remember is the one with the exocism in the cellar.

Diablo 2 had 6 per act, all voice acted, and I remember every single one.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

I did a bunch yesterday and the only one I remember is the one with the exocism in the cellar.

You really get your money's worth out of those voice acted side quests.

• 1Worf

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Please. everyone remembers the good ones, beacause they gave a skill book or resist etc, so you did them on every character. The others that didn't give good rewards, never done and forgotten.

Daidraco

In other news - the current theory in a closed forum suggests that some specific legendaries are not only able to drop in certain areas, but some even have certain criteria. Such as destroying objects with a specific skill. Some of which dont even relate to the skills being used.

Wonder if thatll be data mined out or how long itll take to find everything - if true. Especially when people could unknowingly complete the criteria, get the Legendary and have no idea, or on the other hand, complete the criteria and not get the Legendary. Which will be made even worse in retail when the legendary drop rate plummets.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
so how do you improve the game from D3 while satisfying a die hard fanbase while bettering your position against competitors in the genre but not overly change your positioning within the genre all the while satisfying your publicly traded shareholders desire for return.

Create a game called Path of Exile with blizzard polish. Allow currency to auto loot and add a shitload of QOL, like auto-looting and auto-salvaging. Make a more simple crafting system that uses components of this salvaging. Simplify the loot mods a lot, and add smarter loot drops and not as much.

Money printer.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Whoever made the comment about them making the leave dungeon on the wheel thing more clear, I totally agree. I didn't even realize that was an option, I assumed it was all just emote crap which I don't care about on those wheels. All day yesterday I was running back out the empty dungeons because I thought my other option was just to tp to town and have to run back from there anyways.

And reading this, I realize its a wheel option.

I was opening the map and clicking the stairs, which also ports you out.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Guess my install of D4 decided to die, ha. Logged out an hour ago, and now when I login the game hangs at an empty character select screen.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Create a game called Path of Exile with blizzard polish. Allow currency to auto loot and add a shitload of QOL, like auto-looting and auto-salvaging. Make a more simple crafting system that uses components of this salvaging. Simplify the loot mods a lot, and add smarter loot drops and not as much.

Money printer.
And for the love of god make a coherent trading system that isn't universally despised.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider

Money printer.
I was told on good authority that PoE already has blizzard polish.

• 3Worf
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Smuggly
Reactions: 5 users

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Got to 20 on a necro and I dunno, just not clicking with this mmo-lite bullshit. I see all the faction meters/achievement shit and it's an instant turnoff. Throw dailies/weeklies on top of that and yeah, no thanks.

Was looking forward to minion stuff but seeing minions being put on some lame pullout menu with three options of customization(really two options as the third is a sacrifice that minion thing) just seems low effort.

Doesn't seem like it's going to be awful or anything but just not going to be for me.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Got to 20 on a necro and I dunno, just not clicking with this mmo-lite bullshit. I see all the faction meters/achievement shit and it's an instant turnoff. Throw dailies/weeklies on top of that and yeah, no thanks.

Was looking forward to minion stuff but seeing minions being put on some lame pullout menu with three options of customization(really two options as the third is a sacrifice that minion thing) just seems low effort.

Doesn't seem like it's going to be awful or anything but just not going to be for me.
Each minion type (warrior, mage, golem) has three subtypes and those subtypes each have three options (one of which being sacrifice). I'm not sure what more they're supposed to do but still keep it in line with other class mechanics. Shrug.