Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Did I miss something? I was able to skip them all, either holding esc(cutscenes) or clicking the mouse button for dialogue. I listened the first time, then skipped it all after that.

There were a lot of little sidequest dialogs that I ran into were clicking or spamming escape didn’t do anything (the advance/skip prompts never showed up on the bottom of the screen either).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There were a lot of little sidequest dialogs that I ran into were clicking or spamming escape didn’t do anything (the advance/skip prompts never showed up on the bottom of the screen either).
There is a bug with alt/tabbing that makes it so you cant skip for w/e reason. Alt/tabbing again fixes it. Unless you mean the "Open the gate" and having to wait for the gate to open.. I guess.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
So you would say that incompetent developers changing the game completely from D2 to the point its not even recognizable as a diablo franchise game and adding an RMAH carries no risk? Handing over that franchise to incompetent people who don't care about the IP at all isn't risky?

Interesting
They didn't think that is what they were doing though, that's what we know now with hindsight.

They thought that Blizzard could do no wrong. They thought they were using the lessons learned on WoW to enchance Diablo.

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
They'd have been better off saving the money and scrapping 80% of the pointless shit they felt needed voice acted,

In a post that was responding to someone else about the cost of production, you say they should have saved the money and cut 80% of the voice acting, because you feel like it's 'pointless shit', which is another way of saying you don't like it. You even fucking quote you saying what I said you said as if that proves you didn't say what I said you said.

Double digits.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's too much walking in this game. Walking around in a top down isometric view is gay. Probably gets much better with mounts.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Did I miss something? I was able to skip them all, either holding esc(cutscenes) or clicking the mouse button for dialogue. I listened the first time, then skipped it all after that.
Yeah but you have to wait for the loading screens and follow around the NPCs and skip multiple conversations and fetch the shit they want. So the game becomes a satnav simulator.

Once I know where the quest items are to unlock the final boss, I just want to do that and kill the final boss. Then go collect rewards from the NPCs.

Like in D2 you can just run to the Tree of Inifuss to get the scroll to open Tristram and save Cain, then run to Andariel. You are not forced to go through all the quest dialogue or side quests again.

They have the Statues and the Cellars and the Dungeons and the Strongholds to make you traverse the overworld, I don't want breadcrum quests.

I'm not so much mad at them for this, Genshin Impact does it, Final Fantasy 16 does it. Elden Ring did not do it and we saw how that turned out (Game of the Year).

Fucker

Log Wizard
I think a pure D2 style game/grind would not work with Blizzard's WoW-era fan base, which is why we got the D3 we did. D4 has to attract those who want D2-style runeword grinding/boss runs with those who expect WoW-like ease of progression and gearing. D3 eventually got there (or close enough), and presumably D4 will too. But I won't make the mistake of touching this at launch like I did with D3.
This game has biteberries, though. Biteberries! Instant win in my book.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande

There have been several cutscenes where the characters are frozen that I haven't been able to skip. Maybe a console issue? Plus every time you click on any NPC it pulls their string. Plus voiced follower dialog and side quests. Plus the voiced character: I NEED MORE TIME!!! It's not really adding much to my experience.

That's only part of the point, though. Diablo games have never had great writing, so less was often more. D3 they decided to add a ton more very shitty text popups. Now they though the problem with the D3 writing was it wasn't voiced.

My point is Diablo as a franchise and Blizzard as a company can't seem to sort out the difference between good and bad design, so their solution always seems to be to double down with more resource allotment and more "innovation" like voicing everything... When all they ever needed was better writing, or better judgement masking the banal, cliche story and writing.

How many gasping... voiced... dying... cough cough gasp... side characters we don't care about need to be voiced before someone in a dev meeting suggests maybe the problem isn't the voice actor is gasping and talking too fast and needs to slow it down even further. That maybe the problem is their polishing of too many turds.

Last edited:

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Maybe the problem is that you think your personal preferences make for good game design?

• 2Solidarity

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
In a post that was responding to someone else about the cost of production, you say they should have saved the money and cut 80% of the voice acting, because you feel like it's 'pointless shit', which is another way of saying you don't like it. You even fucking quote you saying what I said you said as if that proves you didn't say what I said you said.

Double digits.

The inane shit they're voicing is pointless shit.

Do I need to diagram the sentence for you to understand basic English, you fucking retard?

The voice acting is pointless because they're voicing pointless shit that doesn't need to be included in the game at all, much less given special resources and dev attention.

Good voice acting of good content is good. This game doesn't have that.

It's like trying to claim I hate all vaginas just because you were ever born.

• 1Imbecile

Chris

Potato del Grande
There have been several cutscenes where the characters are frozen that I haven't been able to skip. Maybe a console issue? Plus every time you click on any NPC it pulls their string. Plus voiced follower dialog and side quests. Plus the voiced character: I NEED MORE TIME!!! It's not really adding much to my experience.

That's only part of the point, though. Diablo games have never had great writing, so less was often more. D3 they decided to add a ton more very shitty text popups. Now they though the problem with the D3 writing was it wasn't voiced.

My point is Diablo as a franchise and Blizzard as a company can't seem to sort out the difference between good and bad design, so their solution always seems to be to double down with more resource allotment and more "innovation" like voicing everything... When all they ever needed was better writing, or better judgement masking the banal, cliche story and writing.

How many gasping... voiced... dying... cough cough gasp... side characters we don't care about need to be voiced before someone in a dev meeting suggests maybe the problem isn't the voice actor is gasping and talking too fast and needs to slow it down even further. That maybe the problem is their polishing too many turds.
The D3 cringe text popups were voiced, that was part of the problem. They did do a good job getting rid of that stuff.

The flashback stuff isn't too bad and they made Lilith and Inarius not be retarded mustace twirling villians and actually have some nuance to them.

The problem isn't the voice acting, everything should be voice acted it's 2023. It's the quantity of filler and breadcrum quests when we should be slaughtering demons.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Maybe the problem is that you think your personal preferences make for good game design?

Ah, nice. The argument that all their individual design decisions are inherently good because somewhere there is someone who might like something.

Sometimes things are just shit and rational people can see it as such.

Any of you desperate shills going to go on the record to defend all the side quests and random NPCs they spent time and resources voicing? C'mon, there's always one. Keyword: immersion. Say the line, fanboy!

Rational people in this thread may or may not like or want to support the game... but then there are the rationalizers.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 4 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Ah, nice. The argument that all their individual design decisions are inherently good because somewhere there is someone who might like something.

Sometimes things are just shit and rational people can see it as such.

Any of you desperate shills going to go on the record to defend all the side quests and random NPCs they spent time and resources voicing? C'mon, there's always one. Keyword: immersion. Say the line, fanboy!

Rational people in this thread may or may not like or want to support the game... but then there are the rationalizers.
Yes you’re very rational. Just a stream of garbage about…voice acting.

• 3Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Twisting blades/Shadow imbuement rogue is completely lulz. It's easily the best spec I've played up to 25 and melts bosses, including Butcher in seconds. Really fun class.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The inane shit they're voicing is pointless shit.

Do I need to diagram the sentence for you to understand basic English, you fucking retard?

The voice acting is pointless because they're voicing pointless shit that doesn't need to be included in the game at all, much less given special resources and dev attention.

Good voice acting of good content is good. This game doesn't have that.

It's like trying to claim I hate all vaginas just because you were ever born.

You know damn well every one of these retard faggots going "but muh voice acting" insta spammed spacebar and escape every time one of these worthless npc fucks uttered a single syllable.

• 3Like
  • 2Seriously?
Reactions: 4 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
Yes you’re very rational. Just a stream of garbage about…voice acting.

Ultimately my complaints are about their decision making abilities, which I find questionable. Keep rationalizing, though.

The weird thing is our society is so fucked people have cognitive dissonance over a video game and have to attempt to mitigate their distress by rationalizing hard on message forum.

Cue the seethe and claims I'm totally upset and melting down and just can't stand seeing people super happy and having tons of fun in a game I'll probably buy once discounted but that does have obvious weaknesses.

• 2Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I'm all for criticizing the game...just bring something with a little more substance.

If there was no voice acting (or very little) there would be just as many people complaining about how there is no voice acting.

• 1Like