Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I am honestly surprised anyone is even playing this patch. With how little they give a fuck about the quality of their game and how fucking stupid this season is.

I logged in made a Barb got to level 7 and thought what's fun about this and logged off.
Broooooo. You’re the sort of flagillant sycophant to blizzard that makes this thread entertaining. I haven’t even thought hard about putting my money into this game. I get to live vicariously through the poor choices of others here.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
dev team
brianna-wu-desk.jpg
Hey we’re going to do a photo shoot.
*grabs least sweat stained shirt he owns*
Still fails.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Now we know why everything is so heavily instanced.

These people are pants on head wetahdet.

As someone who is not a coder computer science person what is up with this? It sounds like they took a massive shortcut early on that is going to 100% be a monster problem later?

Nerds, please explain.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
As someone who is not a coder computer science person what is up with this? It sounds like they took a massive shortcut early on that is going to 100% be a monster problem later?

Nerds, please explain.

I am a coder and I can't think of any reason to do it. I honestly cannot think of a single reason for the game to load other people's stash info if you get close to them

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard

Nerds, please explain.
Well, I am assuming they took the code from D3 and used it in D4. In D3, they did it to simplify accessing your stash from any of the towns and for crafting. In D3, you aren't accessing a different "stash" you are simply accessing something you are always carrying around. With a max of 4 players, the overhead isn't all that big of a deal. Cheap, fast, and it works...in that game. I bet this code first saw light in D2.

I am not surprised they didn't consider this when making D4 an MMO, and instead rely on instancing to make things bearable for the player. I can't imagine what a mess their servers look like with all these instances floating around. I threw stuff on the ground and came back an hour later after having logged out, and it was still there. I thought...wow, what a dumb fucking idea, why didn't that shit get timed out?

Now we know why the instancing is so heavy handed, and why there's so much lag. Keep in mind this is from a company that has what used to be the world's most popular MMO. They shouldn't be learning how to do shit like this.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I am a coder and I can't think of any reason to do it. I honestly cannot think of a single reason for the game to load other people's stash info if you get close to them
Maybe if it was coded that way for bazaar type behavior? I can’t think of any other reason this would exist.

Just another reason this should have been an offline type arpg where you just connect to other players when you want to.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
Apparently they did the same thing with D3. They made the same mistake twice.
That makes zero sense. D3 was a lobby game. Even if you had to *gasp* load all three other players stashes it wouldn't matter. This game you can encounter 30+ people jerking off when going back into town, etc. It's a dumb mistake for sure, but I don't see any relevance to D3.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That makes zero sense. D3 was a lobby game. Even if you had to *gasp* load all three other players stashes it wouldn't matter. This game you can encounter 30+ people jerking off when going back into town, etc. It's a dumb mistake for sure, but I don't see any relevance to D3.
The relevance is they likely copy pasted code from Diablo 3 without being smart enough to know what was going to happen when it went from loading 1-3 people to hundreds. This may sound like I’m joking but I’m not. Bad coders take shortcuts like this all the time without thinking shit through.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
The relevance is they likely copy pasted code from Diablo 3 without being smart enough to know what was going to happen when it went from loading 1-3 people to hundreds. This may sound like I’m joking but I’m not. Bad coders take shortcuts like this all the time without thinking shit through.
I'm sure there's a ton of truth to copy and pasting code, but the wording should probably be rephrased then as this was not a problem in D3.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
In D3, they did it to simplify accessing your stash from any of the towns and for crafting. In D3, you aren't accessing a different "stash" you are simply accessing something you are always carrying around.

That's an argument for keeping your own stash loaded, which is fine, that just scales linearly with players. If I understand the explanation, though, all players are sent all nearby players' stashes in addition to their own, causing exponential backend congestion, which is just moronic.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
In any design process that is not retarded you account for what gets moved around, either networked to the client, server backend, or database manipulations. Whatever type of data is "bulky" and would cause the most problems is identified very early on and not just rammed through with no thought, again assuming the design process is not retarded.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
It's funny, since I only started playing yesterday I have enjoyed every minute so far. I don't know anything different from this patch so I have no complaints.

Last edited:
  • 4Like

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Got tired of the infinimist build and found this minion version of it on tiktok. Seems pretty good so far I’m only level 56 and don’t have the unique ring, comments were saying the ring is bugged. Dude has a video of himself almost one shorting Lilith 😂 I’m not hitting that hard but treasure goblins ain’t getting anyway anymore

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
im not sure why they need it all in memory... you inspect someone, just load their inventory then... someone drops something, that item gets loaded into memory for other players... idk, must not be realizing something... everyone here acting like they know shit about why they chose this... i imagine that inventory + stash space x 30 (or w/e max people is per town) is seriously not a memory issue at all, nor is it a database issue... probably just a few issues here and there as they optimize certain queries or network calls

imagine thinking a number that represent an item base, a number that represent an affix, a few numbers to represent their values, a few aspects with some numbers, and w/e other shit can be on a particular items amounts to a lot of data...

it's not even a retarded idea to preload so other actions are faster, quit acting like it is... the opposite end can be said just as retarded "wahhh everytime i drop an item other people lag - shit programmers fetching static data on demand and not preloading it"

• 1Cringe

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
im not sure why they need it all in memory... you inspect someone, just load their inventory then... someone drops something, that item gets loaded into memory for other players... idk, must not be realizing something... everyone here acting like they know shit about why they chose this... i imagine that inventory + stash space x 30 (or w/e max people is per town) is seriously not a memory issue at all, nor is it a database issue... probably just a few issues here and there as they optimize certain queries or network calls

imagine thinking a number that represent an item base, a number that represent an affix, a few numbers to represent their values, a few aspects with some numbers, and w/e other shit can be on a particular items amounts to a lot of data...

it's not even a retarded idea to preload so other actions are faster, quit acting like it is... the opposite end can be said just as retarded "wahhh everytime i drop an item other people lag - shit programmers fetching static data on demand and not preloading it"
Except it is not loading their inventory when you inspect or try to trade. It’s loading any time a person appears on screen. So you have thousands of people loading thousands of other people just by seeing each other. Millions of unnecessary queries loading shit up all the time. A persons inventory is likely a small amount of data yes, but queries can be very expensive, depending on indexes and query efficiency.

No one is saying they know why Blizzard is doing it…they are questioning why, as it seems like a completely inefficient and pointless design. You can say it’s probably just an issue here or there but when they flat out state they don’t even want to add more than one inventory tab because it’s a problem…it’s obviously an issue.

Last edited:

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>

There is no conceivable reason why they would do this outside of maybe how something they use for tracing items that could duped maybe or something like that. I honestly have no idea why they would do this.

Somehow, you can have 500 of them in PoE.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thsi is also why the game has massive laag when you enter the city and see people, you are essentially loading them and all of their 100s of items, lol.

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I am not a coder, have no clue about coding, but can confirm the Developers are pure faggots.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf