Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

your_mum

Trakanon Raider
No one is saying they know why Blizzard is doing it…they are questioning why, as it seems like a completely inefficient and pointless design. You can say it’s probably just an issue here or there but when they flat out state they don’t even want to add more than one inventory tab because it’s a problem…it’s obviously an issue.
My point is that it's not a "completely inefficient and pointless design" - they are fetching data before it may be used, so when its used there is no lag... 100% a real life valid design decision

I imagine each town is a process, and there's multiple processes per game server, and there's multiple game servers, etc. The individual process is loading players inventory and stash from additional network calls (from the database) into memory. I'm sure the database calls are the problem (as the process waits for this response it produces lag - they probably purposely treat it as a blocking call - to ensure data integrity). Now the players inventory and stash is in that processes memory, so when things like dropping directly from stash to ground is instant (for everyone that's in that process).

By fetching data before they are circumventing abusive behaviors. Imagine if someone drops a gem on the ground and that's when the process makes a database call (i.e., fetching only when needed). You want to limit that type of exposure, because its variable and not controllable. Especially if the player repeatedly drops gems (to produce lag, i.e., the number 1 way to dupe in d2). By having all that data in memory they are mitigating player controlled produced lag.

• 1WTF
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
My point is that it's not a "completely inefficient and pointless design" - they are fetching data before it may be used, so when its used there is no lag... 100% a real life valid design decision

I imagine each town is a process, and there's multiple processes per game server, and there's multiple game servers, etc. The individual process is loading players inventory and stash from additional network calls (from the database) into memory. I'm sure the database calls are the problem (as the process waits for this response it produces lag - they probably purposely treat it as a blocking call - to ensure data integrity). Now the players inventory and stash is in that processes memory, so when things like dropping directly from stash to ground is instant (for everyone that's in that process).

By fetching data before they are circumventing abusive behaviors. Imagine if someone drops a gem on the ground and that's when the process makes a database call (i.e., fetching only when needed). You want to limit that type of exposure, because its variable and not controllable. Especially if the player repeatedly drops gems (to produce lag, i.e., the number 1 way to dupe in d2). By having all that data in memory they are mitigating player controlled produced lag.

This explanation is even more asinine than loading another players stash when you get into range. My god...

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
Its amost like this thing has never been done before, and we need armchair game developers to develop a solution. Man if only games had done this before Blizzard could have modeled after. Maybe another arpg with MMo-Lite design, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I did stronghold runs to level to 50 this season. It's funny but not surprising that the best and funnest way to level in the game is probably unintended and mimics older Diablo games. It's far more satisfying than horsing to dungeons where you then spend even more time backtracking in the form of carrying a box to open a door. The amount of backtracking in this game drives me up a wall. Small wonder Twisting Blades is top on the ladder with the movespeed. How are slower classes going to compete on a ladder with this much backtracking? It was so refreshing to just hit reset and reclear a linear route. Bets on this getting removed?

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
How much of a damage loss is bloodsurge useeage over your blood lance build? You think it'd be doable at 47 without blood lance build?
I did it at 45 with a random bonespear build that I was using without looking at anything. Hell, I don't even think I had hearts in when I did it because of accessory upgrading.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Don't watch dude at all, but the fact that people with this kind of reach are leaving the game speaks volumes, should have been such a better launch :(
Ah yes, people with reach, who don't play ARPG games at all but stream it for a bit because its popular and thus easy money. What a tragic loss.

• 2Moron
  • 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 4 users

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Asmon quit D4

Pretty sad they didn't have a functional resist system in at launch and it won't be in till Season 2. On top of it all they added a something with resists(I forget what) on it this season. It's basically a worthless item. These devs are fucking retarded as shit.

I just now realized the next patch 1.1.1 won't be out till after Baldur's Gate releases. This game is going to be a ghost town on August 3rd.

• 3Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Pretty sad they didn't have a functional resist system in at launch and it won't be in till Season 2. On top of it all they added a something with resists(I forget what) on it this season. It's basically a worthless item. These devs are fucking retarded as shit.

I just now realized the next patch 1.1.1 won't be out till after Baldur's Gate releases. This game is going to be a ghost town on August 3rd.
Think about how fast everything will load though

• 7Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Yaamean

Molten Core Raider
Ah yes, people with reach, who don't play ARPG games at all but stream it for a bit because its popular and thus easy money. What a tragic loss.
I mean, you aren't wrong, but at the same time I get it, if that makes sense? The game has potential, but the company running it shows they haven't a clue what people enjoy about it.

I took a break with my seasonal Barb once I hit WT3, hoping the patch will bring back some of the fun I had initially, not holding my breath though.

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Man I haven't read this in a couple days. But that comment from a dev about loading everyone's stash around you is the most amazingly retarded thing I have read in a long time. Zero reason for it to exist at all. Even if there is a future ah/market/trading, why does any player need to load another's stash. Holy shit that is dumb. That one comment honestly dropped my opinion of any coder on this team further then anything else. The only people I respect left are the ones doing the art(world, items, mobs, etc). The people doing combat too, because that is smooth. The person doing horses needs to be fired along with the rest not part of the two mentioned.

• 3Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Asmon quit D4

He is 59 trying to do the capstone for WT3 to get into WT4. Those 8 minibosses all do that cone AoE that 1 shots low levels. I was playing an almost exact same necro (sever/army instead of spear/storm) at release and getting one shot by that ability at level 58 and 62. You just need to learn when it is coming and fish for it/not stand in front of them, then resummon your pets. They were long ass fights that required a shit ton of corpses to spawn or army off cooldown. Also, any extra trash at that level and you are are going to lose.

I highly doubt he was going to be able to beat the end boss with a 59 necro, even if he learned how to suffer through killing those mini bosses.

Edit: Also, did they fix the 1337 hax to remove the two malus (debuffs) count downs? On release, you could just port to town and then back to permanently remove them, once you got the door to stage 2 open.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Nester

Vyemm Raider
He is 59 trying to do the capstone for WT3 to get into WT4. Those 8 minibosses all do that cone AoE that 1 shots low levels. I was playing an almost exact same necro (sever/army instead of spear/storm) at release and getting one shot by that ability at level 58 and 62. You just need to learn when it is coming and fish for it/not stand in front of them, then resummon your pets. They were long ass fights that required a shit ton of corpses to spawn. Also, any extra trash at that level and you are are going to lose.

I highly doubt he was going to be able to beat the end boss with a 59 necro, even if he learned how to suffer through killing those mini bosses.
This, I got owned on my sorc at 60. One shot a ton. Leveled to 75 or so and beat it no deaths. It’s a cone effect with a telegraph.

He needs to get good

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Don't watch dude at all, but the fact that people with this kind of reach are leaving the game speaks volumes, should have been such a better launch :(

Day 1 fucking EVERYONE on my twitch follows was on D4.
Day 2 there were like 4-5.
Day 3 there's 2.

Right now I see 1.

• 1Like

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
Day 1 fucking EVERYONE on my twitch follows was on D4.
Day 2 there were like 4-5.
Day 3 there's 2.

Right now I see 1.
So what you're saying is, twitch is full of people who hop on bandwagons for quick money? Wow, what a revelation, minds blown all over the world.

I mean, you aren't wrong, but at the same time I get it, if that makes sense? The game has potential, but the company running it shows they haven't a clue what people enjoy about it.
Yeah they're definitely not going in the direction i'd like them to either and it's a little concerning but I got a decent amount of hours into s0 before I took my little break and now i'm still having fun in s1 at 54 on my necro when I logged off tonight. It probably won't hold up for weeks and weeks because of the limited growth/slow pace of the game but maybe in the future (or maybe not).

• 1Moron

zombiewizardhawk

Potato del Grande
And yet when I browse twitch by viewers d4 is #13 at 12:35 am est on a tuesday morning. Dead game for sure, rip.

• 1Picard
  • 1Moron
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider

You do know that stuff you drop is only in your own personal game, and doesn't show up for other people, right?