Diablo 4 / IV / IIII / Fore / Cope / Seethe

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Taking a break from Starfield after hitting max narrative stupidity and came back to this for because some RL friends are still playing. Its improved in a number of areas, seasonal story isn't bad, XP is better, S2 powers aren't bad, horse, et al. They aren't nerfing builds flat everywhere, Loot is still mostly trash, new game mode is cool, gems are better, a fair amount of QoL (stashes everywhere, niiice) its a lot of improvement with lots of improvement to go, but a good step in the right direction.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
imo the big one is just loot. Combine affixes and get them down 10 or less. Its just ridiculous since inception. When your players come from a event or dungeon full of loot and they sigh/grumble because now they have to sift through it all looking for 3-4 affixes out of the 30+ they need, on top of looking for aspects to extract. Its a sad when loot is the bad part of an ARPG. The only exciting part is unique items. Downsize your affixes pronto and make the extraction of aspects a permanent one time thing that gives the max value(aka d3 cube). Then you can concentrate on season themes and new items/bosses.

The above also removes the need to cart around a ton of legendary items you "might" need later and can just remove the stupid aspects inventory tab. Will still need to save items for other builds, or rares that might be good later, gems and sigils.

The combat and world are fine and fun, leveling is easy enough now and not a slog once you get to 65-70 like before. After you are full ancestral, you are still just playing for unique or better rolls, but that's an ARPG for you. Since there is no endless exp grind, there is a pretty definitive finish line outside praying to the item rng gods.

• 1Like

Brodhi

I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.
<Donor>
They can take all the steps they want, but all the QoL in the world doesn't matter if 1) the game world is so fucking generic, you have this zoomed in perspective on endless dirt and rocks. Oh what zone is this? Dirt and rocks. Ah here is a season event I guess, go run through the dirt and rocks zone. Hey this new dirt and rocks part of the map is pretty cool. And 2) itemization is still shit. Endless piles of garbage. having to analyze every piece of shit to see if you got a .5% better item.

Make an interesting looking World, Make an interesting lootsystem. Is it that hard to design a fucking aRPG?

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
They can take all the steps they want, but all the QoL in the world doesn't matter if 1) the game world is so fucking generic, you have this zoomed in perspective on endless dirt and rocks. Oh what zone is this? Dirt and rocks. Ah here is a season event I guess, go run through the dirt and rocks zone. Hey this new dirt and rocks part of the map is pretty cool. And 2) itemization is still shit. Endless piles of garbage. having to analyze every piece of shit to see if you got a .5% better item.

Make an interesting looking World, Make an interesting lootsystem. Is it that hard to design a fucking aRPG?

Not sure why people make the dirt and rock jokes. There's a snow/ice area, forest, sand dunes, caves, farmland, volcano, and overtaken city off the top of my head. Not sure what else you're expecting

Brodhi

<Donor>
Not sure why people make the dirt and rock jokes. There's a snow/ice area, forest, sand dunes, caves, farmland, volcano, and overtaken city off the top of my head. Not sure what else you're expecting

Well the few hours I've watched other people play, I don't see any of that. Its just zoomed in dirt and rocks. I guess the interior (dungeons?) look different, but again they all look like some procedurally generated map using the same tileset as everything other interior.

Just to make sure I was giving the game a fair chance I just checked twitch again, top 4 streamers -- I'm guessing all these people are all doing completely different things?? Yea looks super different, can really tell the area they are in by the different shades of dirt being utilized.

Screenshot 2023-10-31 000506.png
Screenshot 2023-10-31 00064422.png
Screenshot 2023-10-31 001109ddd.png
Screenshot 2023-10-31 000701.png

Last edited:

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Well the few hours I've watched other people play, I don't see any of that. Its just zoomed in dirt and rocks. I guess the interior (dungeons?) look different, but again they all look like some procedurally generated map using the same tileset as everything other interior.

Just to make sure I was giving the game a fair chance I just checked twitch again, top 4 streamers -- I'm guessing all these people are all doing completely different things?? Yea looks super different, can really tell the area they are in by the different shades of dirt being utilized.

View attachment 498018View attachment 498019View attachment 498025View attachment 498026

Oh, so another "I never played the game so let me tell you what's wrong with it".

• 2Picard
  • 2Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 5 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mean you can say they are the cliche fantasy biome choices, but that is about it. Generic could be another word for it. But given the theme of the game, all are you are going to see is dirt, rocks, plants/grass,stone and wood. Any kind of outpost, barracks, temple etc setting, is going to be in a dungeon though.

Would a area of all crystals be cool, maybe, if it fit in the game lore wise. Or say giant mining pit(which is just dirt and rocks again, so bleh). Curious what you expect to find on a earth like planet set in basically medieval times.

But your not going to see anything that wild, like gold plated roads/buildings, steel buildings, concrete etc.

And I can only pray they never introduce water content.

The only thing really missing is a "Hell" biome. Which is dirt, rocks and fire. And a "heaven" biome, which can vary wildly from artist to artist. Since atm it all takes place in "Sanctuary" aka "The mortal realm", I don't forsee either of these 2 until maybe an expansion/dlc(if at all).

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
And yet, Immortal had more varied environments and dungeons-- using stock mobile assets retrofitted from D3.

Keep making excuses as to why D4 is just variations of dirt and rocks.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
And yet, Immortal had more varied environments and dungeons-- using stock mobile assets retrofitted from D3.

Keep making excuses as to why D4 is just variations of dirt and rocks.

all-1-1-0a-patch-notes-for-diablo-4.jpg

7396381f4e70bca659372510e083756f.jpg

AmberSands_2.JPG

wayside-cave-feature.jpg

Almost as dumb as when Khane Khane came in here and embarrassed himself by claiming you could only fight the world bosses once a week

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
all-1-1-0a-patch-notes-for-diablo-4.jpg

7396381f4e70bca659372510e083756f.jpg

AmberSands_2.JPG

wayside-cave-feature.jpg

Almost as dumb as when Khane Khane came in here and embarrassed himself by claiming you could only fight the world bosses once a week

You picked some nice Immortal-esque screenshots there. I'll give you that.

But that snow is grayscale ass ugly and about the same palette as the shot posted below it, which is what Bodhi is referring to. And that's just 4 cherry picked screenshots. There is way too much of that palette similarity bullshit in the game.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
You picked some nice Immortal-esque screenshots there. I'll give you that.

But that snow is grayscale ass ugly and about the same palette as the shot posted below it, which is what Bodhi is referring to. And that's just 4 cherry picked screenshots. There is way too much of that palette similarity bullshit in the game.

Why are we still defending this game against people that don't play, or just making assumptions.

That's not what Bodhi was referring to. He clearly said "they all look like some procedurally generated map using the same tileset as everything other interior."

It's the effects like fog, dust and time of day that potentially make things look similar in screen shots.

Also, the story zips you right through the different biomes and then you're generally in the desert for the "endgame" for a lot of the activities like PvP and Helltides.

That out the way. The fog being used to show depth of field is over used and add "atmosphere". When it's not being used you can tell the difference. They need to tone that shit way down. That's your greyscale.

Below I've attached a screenshots to show what I mean in the snowy area.

Personally I think the game looks gorgeous and extremely detailed. Best looking ARPG I can think of off the top of my head.

Screenshot017.jpg
Screenshot020.jpg
Screenshot021.jpg

Screenshot001.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
The dirt and rocks thing is real. Enough people have commented on this, it isn't just one guy who hasn't played.

Yes there is one sand dune zone and one city zone and one lava zone so the claim is a bit exaggerated.

But the camera angle and map layouts means that you are normally looking at some dirt road in a small open area surrounded by maze paths and following a satnav.

Doesn't help that there were only 3 variations of the Season 2 mechanic zones and they were all in boring areas. They didn't put it in the ice field or the sand dunes or the lava temple. Helltide is the same, in the boring areas.

Also two of the acts are deserts. PoE has a lot more variety, I think the camera angle is more tilted there?

I don't really see this as a problem though, it's just more realistic and the loot is the issue.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Brodhi

<Donor>
Oh, so another "I never played the game so let me tell you what's wrong with it".

I don't need to play the game to tell you whats wrong with it dumb fuck, I can just watch people who do play it and come to obvious conclusions. I wouldn't think this is up for debate, but the game is ugly as shit, not because of graphical fidelity, but because of color palette and style, and instead of cherry picking some "diverse screenshots", I literally went at any given time to the top 10 streamers of the game, took a screenshot, and provided evidence to back it up. Remember this was in response to your comment that you "couldn't figure out why people keep saying the game looks like dirt and rocks". Well, I showed you why.

• 1Cringe
  • 1Faggotry

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I don't need to play the game to tell you whats wrong with it dumb fuck, I can just watch people who do play it and come to obvious conclusions. I wouldn't think this is up for debate, but the game is ugly as shit, not because of graphical fidelity, but because of color palette and style, and instead of cherry picking some "diverse screenshots", I literally went at any given time to the top 10 streamers of the game, took a screenshot, and provided evidence to back it up. Remember this was in response to your comment that you "couldn't figure out why people keep saying the game looks like dirt and rocks". Well, I showed you why.

Stop being retarded. Of course I cherry picked diverse screenshots. You think I'm going to show 4 shots of the same place? The fuck is wrong with you?

I've only seen you and one other guy people complain about every place looking the same and the other guy never played it either.

• 1Picard

Chris

Potato del Grande
Stop being retarded. Of course I cherry picked diverse screenshots. You think I'm going to show 4 shots of the same place? The fuck is wrong with you?

I've only seen you and one other guy people complain about every place looking the same and the other guy never played it either.
It's not like you chose a random 4 of the many diverse areas of the game.

If I was going to do this I would choose the one snowfield, the one sand dune area, the one lava area, Caldeum and then something green. There are no other options. And... yeah you choose 4 of the 5 I listed.

How about doing it with the Blood Harvest and Helltide areas? Let's see how different the moorland and the swamps are, or the sand desert and rock desert.