Die Hard 5- A Good Day to Die Hard.

Szlia

So bad that it's almost unbelievable. So bad that you wonder if it's not some kind of art house film dealing in an abstract and poetical way with the raw energies of action films. Bizarre.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
im an hour in and its fine so far, sure its not girl with the dragon tattoo, but its easily better than 4 so far, considering i walked out on die hard 4 in the theater. this is a pretty ok popcorn flick.

-edit
yep solid movie. i would say its as good as die hard 2. what happened to the actress that plays Mclane's wife? she should have had a cameo at the end. it seems odd she wasnt there at the airport. is she afraid she will be typecast?

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I'm in Australia, still another month till this gets released here.

Still in 2 minds about seeing it, I am a huge fan ( a Diehard fan, get it, get it??) of the series. But not too sure about viewing a potential low point / weak final gasp.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it depends, if you wanna see a riveting, intelligent story that makes you emotionally invested in the characters then this isnt for you. if you wanna see john mclane make cheesy jokes, destroy large amounts of russia, kill many russians and defy the laws of physics in an R rated die hard movie. then this movie IS for you.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
If you wanna see john mclane make cheesy jokes, destroy large amounts of <INSERT BAD GUYS PLACE>, kill many <INSERT BAD GUYS> and defy the laws of physics in an R rated die hard movie. then this movie IS for you.
Cool! Sounds like a Diehard movie to me.

Syringed_sl

shitlord
After watching this, I just think that a lot of people are upset that this movie wasn't better than Die Hard 1 and 3. I went into the theater fully expecting it to not be as good as those two movies, it wasn't. I just wanted it to be better than that piece of shit Die Hard 4, it was.

Vinen

God is dead
This movie was god awful. I almost requested the money back I paid for... should have been straight to DVD.

Gaige

Legal Ephebophile
See, after the first one four is by far my favorite so I just couldn't get into five. It's just... I dunno. It was all over the place.

Warrian

╰⋃╯ლ(´ڡ`ლ)
This was by far my least favorite die hard movie. I had to cleanse my soul and watch the first one to make up for it. By no means was this a die hard movie. Hans Gruber would be turning over in his grave if he knew this shit went down.

Szlia

An even vaguely decent plot? Film making that somewhat manages to make the action scenes understandable? One-liners that do not feel pasted over like the ones of an annoying side-kick in a bad video-game that has no consideration for context nor timing?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
die hard isnt about the plot. btw they recycled the plot from die hard 1 and 3. euro villain trying to make a heist. again what were you expecting?

Budrick

Molten Core Raider
I wasn't surprised with this movie, but I had extremely low expectations going in. IT was kind of reminiscent of the last Indiana Jones movie where my memories probably made the previous movies way better than they actually were. Not saying the earlier Die Hards weren't good, but my mindset was different because I was younger too.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Bumping an old thread here. But the movie has only just opened where I live.

I liked it, action sequences were good, at times getting too over the top.

But still good. But I kinda knew going in to just switch off and enjoy the ride. As has been mentioned by others above, the first Die Hard really is a classic and masterful piece of movie making it's going to be hard for anything to compared to it.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Side note about the first Die Hard, how it broke new ground. I've got it on DVD and in the commentary track the director talks about a sequence where one of the bad guys runs with a steadi-cam running after him, but then also running ahead of him looking back and it cuts back and forth between the two (importantly as he takes a few corners). The director of photography (Jan de Bont) knew that this would work, but the old school Hollywood editors told them that it couldn't possibly work. Because the 2 movements were too dis-similar and would make it jarring. Jan de Bont used a European editor for that sequence and it works fine. That sort of shot is an action movie staple now, but back then it was un-thinkable. <- think I explained that right.

Sylverlokk

Golden Knight of the Realm
Wow this movie was a turd. It takes the entire premise of the Die Hard movies, which is that McClain doesn't go looking for trouble, but that it always finds him and then he handles it, and turns it on its head. The script was beyond weak, there was zero chemistry between father and son, they cloned Micheal Bay for the assplosions and fast camera switching, the story was both nonsensical and extremely predictable. I plan on forgetting this monstrosity.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Just realized I haven't seen this yet! I will be downloading and popping some popcorn this weekend for it.

As much as it may pain me, I gotta go with Astro...it's Die Hard people, if you went into this expecting some sort of cinimatic masterpiece...well, I dunno what to tell ya.
tongue.png