Disappearing from the internet

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Thank you, this is a great idea. You mean like make your username "Superman01a" or something, because that will bring up a million results and be almost impossible to even get a hit for, like, a web forum? And of course sign up to whatever forum with a burner email.

And great idea for the disinformation. I can tell you for sure that it's really cold in Montana right now! Freezing when I go outside!

Thank you, this is a great idea!

I looked into this, this is what they said:

"
ProtonVPN respects its users’ privacy and enforces a no-logs policy. This means your VPN connections remain private and we do not store information about your connections or the websites you visit.

For the purpose of securing your account and making sure it’s you who is signing in, we store a single timestamp of your accounts most recent login. Again, we do not store any information about where you signed in from or how long you were logged in."
FYI all those websites that mine your phone number, address, etc then aggregate them - often times you can either delete or edit the info. I'd argue it's sometimes best to edit it. Change your age, party affiliation, household income, race, etc. The idea is to sow distrust in people about the info they're able to get.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
FYI this guy has some good books. Some of the stuff is pretty extreme but it's good info to have just in case especially with how fast things are accelerating. The internet isn't your friend. It's a tool that should be regarded with skepticism.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
"
ProtonVPN respects its users’ privacy and enforces a no-logs policy. This means your VPN connections remain private and we do not store information about your connections or the websites you visit.

They've changed that then, the bods at KF didn't recommend the VPN due to it's logging but that was a while back. Guess they are alright now - good to know.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Good Lord, I spent a couple minutes looking around that place. What the fuck?

Its probably for the best that the end is nigh.

• 1Like

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
They say otherwise on their website, would that be false information ? Or did I mix ProtonVPN and the Prontonmail vpn ?
They save a timestamp to ensure its you logging in as they say in their 'no logs' policy. This exceeds what autists consider acceptable in VPN logging, which is exactly nothing.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
They say otherwise on their website, would that be false information ? Or did I mix ProtonVPN and the Prontonmail vpn ?

They logged certain info when they launch although it seems like now they are a logless vpn.

• 1Like

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
It appears we in EU are protected against the last Whatsapp change. I wonder if this is really effective, I mean they can virtually do whatever they want on their own servers.

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Kiwi Farms, they have many knowledgeable IT people posting and many threads similar to this one as it's one of the most hated websites on the internet.

Oh wow. I just went there. What a completely bizarre website!!

It appears we in EU are protected against the last Whatsapp change. I wonder if this is really effective, I mean they can virtually do whatever they want on their own servers.

I mean, we already know these companies all lie and collude. They could be doing *anything*

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I was reading about that with the Parler hack. Like “deleted” content is flagged to be invisible but still exists in the database. Fucking insane.
That’s just databases. Once a record exists on a table, it is related to tons of other records. Depending on how it is set up, you can’t delete a record on one table because it’s related to some other table that doesn’t allow deletion. Most databases want to keep all their records anyways, because why create it if you’re going to delete it, and you never know when you might need it. Especially these companies that query their databases for information to sell/drive advertising.

Record storage is pretty cheap so instead of setting up deletion scripts, usually a record just has a column that signifies whether it shows up in the UI or not. So example the “History” column on a record has a value of 0 in it, and the UI has something built into its default query that basically says if history =0 then display it. When you “delete” something all you actually did was tell the database to change that value in the history column to a 1. The record still exists in the database, it just doesn’t display through the UI anymore because of the history =0 setting.

Many times you’ll hear of archive databases too, and those are for offloading all that history data to a storage database that doesn’t interact with the production database. This is to make queries faster on the production database while still retaining all that historical data you have.

• 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Oh wow. I just went there. What a completely bizarre website!!

KF is an interesting place as they have been de-platformed. Nobody will provide them with colo services, hosting, IT infrastructure services, payment services and some software like xenforo plugins are blacklisted for them, so they code their own stuff and run all their own infrastructure. The operator has written about the woes of being blacklisted quite a bit, I believe they are now an ISP and that's why they are online. On top of that they are frequently targetted by cyberattacks, exploits, hacks and DDoS attacks.

Their IT threads are autistic as fuck but they have some excellent system admins, network guys and coders among their user base.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
ProtonMails VPN keeps logs. Don't use a VPN that keeps logs folks.

1610569816537.png

• 1Moron

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Do you remember how bad Windows computers were? All the shit ware that would come installed, and like if you just opened your computer up and put it on the internet it would get hacked in like minutes or something if you didnt have a firewall??
windows 10 actually does this now w/ their "app store"

on my htpc playing cyberpunk i'm thinking "why the fuck is skype installed here" when optimizing it.

along w/ a slew of other win 10 "apps"

Fucker

Log Wizard
windows 10 actually does this now w/ their "app store"

on my htpc playing cyberpunk i'm thinking "why the fuck is skype installed here" when optimizing it.

along w/ a slew of other win 10 "apps"
He's talking about the days when Windows had no real firewall at all. You could visit a malicious website and get your PC properly fucked in under a minute. ISP at my old place rolled out their cable internet with the wrong config and you could see other computers and browse their drives.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I just installed and setup the ProtonVpn this morning. I havent touched a vpn in a long ass time. Im shocked at how easy the setup was and the throughput I am getting. I should have done this ages ago. In the old days setting up vpn and getting them to work right was Coronavirus.

Is there any reason not to have it engage on windows startup? Or just turn it on manually when I want to?

• 1Like

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I just installed and setup the ProtonVpn this morning. I havent touched a vpn in a long ass time. Im shocked at how easy the setup was and the throughput I am getting. I should have done this ages ago. In the old days setting up vpn and getting them to work right was Coronavirus.

Is there any reason not to have it engage on windows startup? Or just turn it on manually when I want to?

I can’t imagine any reason not to turn it on wi try startup. I’m glad it works so well. I’m about to get mine turned on too.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I can’t imagine any reason not to turn it on wi try startup. I’m glad it works so well. I’m about to get mine turned on too.
With the bundle discount this and the pro email account was like just over $100 a year. and I found out they are in beta for their proton-onedrive encrypted shared drive product.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
He's talking about the days when Windows had no real firewall at all. You could visit a malicious website and get your PC properly fucked in under a minute. ISP at my old place rolled out their cable internet with the wrong config and you could see other computers and browse their drives.
You didn't even need to visit a website, unpatched Windows XP starts getting worms the moment you plug in an ethernet cable to a working modem.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users