Disaster Preparedness and Survival Training

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Rename the thread to survival training and let's get all bear grylls up in here.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
If there is one thing I would consider stocking up on, it is ammo. Probably mostly NATO caliber's but a few other ones that are common in the US besides that. Doesn't matter if I own a gun to shoot the specific caliber or not, that stuff will be as good as currency in a doomsday scenario.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
True. Some people go to extremes. But hey id rather spend a bit of money being prepared than being am idiot begging for shit if the shit hits the fan. And i do think an econmic collapse will happen in my lifetime.
There is a big difference in doomsday, and prepping etc
Unless you live on a few thousand acre ranch/farm, there is no "prepping" for an "economic collapse". Seriously, fucking retards who live in the middle of a major city having stockpiles of food for what? Where are you gonna get the water to cook that 100 pounds of rice? Where are you gonna get the fuel to boil the water to cook the rice?

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I feel like I would be in a pretty ideal situation in a doomsday scenario. I am on a cattle ranch 50 miles out of a town that is nowhere near any major or even minor metropolitan area. I have up to 800 gallons of gasoline and 1000 gallons of diesel depending on how long it's been since I've had a delivery. I have houses with wood stoves for heat, a dozen wells (wind, solar, electric, and artesian) and as many developed springs, horses, generators, tractors, guns and ammo, welders, power tools, etc. and of course several hundred cows that could be slaughtered, not to mention deer and elk and such. None of it was purchased for prepping purposes, but I feel like i have most of what I would need as long as nobody fucks with me. I can't help thinking though, that if society really did break down somebody would just kill me and take my shit sooner or later.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
My prep consists of two bullets. One for me and one for my wife. We are fat, lazy, easily bored, and have no desire to continue existing in whatever shitball world that would result from any doomsday scenario. Plus we live near LA and would be among the first killed by the rape gangs, anyhow. The survivalist shit interested me when I was younger, but now, fuck it. I had a good run.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
My prep consists of two bullets. One for me and one for my wife. We are fat, lazy, easily bored, and have no desire to continue existing in whatever shitball world that would result from any doomsday scenario. Plus we live near LA and would be among the first killed by the rape gangs, anyhow. The survivalist shit interested me when I was younger, but now, fuck it. I had a good run.
Pretty much the same for my wife and I. I have no idea why anyone would want to continue on in a true "doomsday" scenario.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Survival instinct? You gonna kill your kids too if you have them? Fuck that cop out.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I feel like I would be in a pretty ideal situation in a doomsday scenario. I am on a cattle ranch 50 miles out of a town that is nowhere near any major or even minor metropolitan area. I have up to 800 gallons of gasoline and 1000 gallons of diesel depending on how long it's been since I've had a delivery. I have houses with wood stoves for heat, a dozen wells (wind, solar, electric, and artesian) and as many developed springs, horses, generators, tractors, guns and ammo, welders, power tools, etc. and of course several hundred cows that could be slaughtered, not to mention deer and elk and such. None of it was purchased for prepping purposes, but I feel like i have most of what I would need as long as nobody fucks with me. I can't help thinking though, that if society really did break down somebody would just kill me and take my shit sooner or later.
Cow manure = source of potassium nitrate, locate a source of sulfur and you have gun powder (charcoal is easy). Read up on Fischer Tropsch, and coal gasification. No reason for you to run out of gunpowder or diesel. Or for anyone to take your shit.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Survival instinct? You gonna kill your kids too if you have them? Fuck that cop out.
Hey, if you want to spend the 4-5 agonizing, miserable months(maybe less, maybe more) it takes to run into a roaming band of murderers/rapists/etc., in a scenario like that, be my guest. You see it as lazy, I see it as humane.

"HONEY! LET'S GO DRAG OUR CHILDREN THROUGH COMPLETE TORTURE, AFTER THE TOTAL AND UTTER COLLAPSE OF SOCIETY! DURING WHICH, WE'LL LIKELY BE SUBJECT TO ALL MANNER OF HUMAN HORRORS AND ATROCITIES."

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Hey, if you want to spend the 4-5 agonizing, miserable months(maybe less, maybe more) it takes to run into a roaming band of murderers/rapists/etc., in a scenario like that, be my guest. You see it as lazy, I see it as humane.

"HONEY! LET'S GO DRAG OUR CHILDREN THROUGH COMPLETE TORTURE, AFTER THE TOTAL AND UTTER COLLAPSE OF SOCIETY! DURING WHICH, WE'LL LIKELY BE SUBJECT TO ALL MANNER OF HUMAN HORRORS AND ATROCITIES."
You are describing a scenario more likely to happen to the non prepped or the poorly prepped. The trick is not to prep via unsustainable storage of a limited amount of goods but to prep your own going forward food supply like Brutal's ranch (though he should also be growing some basic foods such as potatoes or grains in addition t the animals)

And if course you should prep in small groups, not alone - or at least with your extended family.

Those roaming bands aren't prepped and most will end up dying of starvation or turning on each other. So you just have to tough through the first few terrible months.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
I live about 5 min on foot from the weapon vault on the base. Prepping completed.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Me and my family have a place to go. See above. There is no way in hell I would kill myself and my family.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have no kids and live too close to LA to be anything other than an early casualty. Living in a hole eating ramen while fending off the rape gangs until supplies run out is not what I consider living, just prolonging the inevitable.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
I have no kids and live too close to LA to be anything other than an early casualty. Living in a hole eating ramen while fending off the rape gangs until supplies run out is not what I consider living, just prolonging the inevitable.
You should be more concerned about a nasty quake not the end of civilization. At the least, you should own a motorcycle so you can get out of LA if the big one hits and hang out in Phoenix until things improve.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You are describing a scenario more likely to happen to the non prepped or the poorly prepped. The trick is not to prep via unsustainable storage of a limited amount of goods but to prep your own going forward food supply like Brutal's ranch (though he should also be growing some basic foods such as potatoes or grains in addition t the animals)

And if course you should prep in small groups, not alone - or at least with your extended family.

Those roaming bands aren't prepped and most will end up dying of starvation or turning on each other. So you just have to tough through the first few terrible months.
Most groups aren't going to actually meet up once the shit hits the fan - family is believable, anything else is going to almost always feed upon itself unless you know how to network properly to build up a network of people once things come up and proper resource management to keep it appropriately sized.

Additionally it's very easy to fall to infighting if you've got too many different families sharing the same supplies without good personnel management.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have preparations for that sort of scenario. End of civilized society is another entire scenario. A few weeks of hunkering down is different than permanent fucked out of all modern conveniences and law.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I have preparations for that sort of scenario. End of civilized society is another entire scenario. A few weeks of hunkering down is different than permanent fucked out of all modern conveniences and law.
Exactly. It cracks me up how many of these people think they are going to be the next Mad Max in a scenario like that. Chances are, you're going to hunker down for as long as possible, then die off to starvation/sickness/random gang.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Exactly. It cracks me up how many of these people think they are going to be the next Mad Max in a scenario like that. Chances are, you're going to hunker down for as long as possible, then die off to starvation/sickness/random gang.
Speak for yourself buddy. As long as a person is not planning to stay in a big city they have a decent chance of survival. As a species we've survived ice ages, wars, black death, famines and etc.