Disaster Preparedness and Survival Training

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So just because civilization breaks down, everybody just turns evil and goes on raping sprees right? We set up shop, form communities, protect each other and build new. If we all jumped off cliffs at the first sign of adversity we would not even be here as we are now, you fucking fools.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
So just because civilization breaks down, everybody just turns evil and goes on raping sprees right? We set up shop, form communities, protect each other and build new. If we all jumped off cliffs at the first sign of adversity we would not even be here as we are now, you fucking fools.
Yeah. I didn't get Vaclav's point at all. One of the best places to survive is in a small town, particularly if it is in an agricultural area. Small towns stick together.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you are doing that, then the skillsets required are much lower. In a community you only really need a few people with a given skillset and each person only needs a few.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
You just can not be prepared for this...

doomsday-dc-white.jpg

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you are doing that, then the skillsets required are much lower. In a community you only really need a few people with a given skillset and each person only needs a few.
Yeah its like a mmo with the trinity and interdependence.
biggrin.png
Check out the show Colony on Netflix. I know all that shit is fake circumstances, but it shows how much people can achieve if they work together.

Vaclav

Yeah. I didn't get Vaclav's point at all. One of the best places to survive is in a small town, particularly if it is in an agricultural area. Small towns stick together.
Uh you clearly didn't understand me then... I meant that PRESET stuff is going to fall apart outside of families that networking post-disaster would basically have to be fresh. (i.e. in a small ag town - disaster happens with people stranded at their workplace with the roads blocked - neighbors going squirrelly - neighbors getting overrun by aggressive assholes before things get set up, etc)

Plenty of things would work, but they would largely need to be REWORKED once the shit hit the fan thus the importance of knowing how to network.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Yep. The smart prepper wouldn't be building a bunker in the middle of nowhere he'd be buying a house in a small town somewhere, maybe with a little acreage, and joining the local elk club.

Vaclav

Yep. The smart prepper wouldn't be building a bunker in the middle of nowhere he'd be buying a house in a small town somewhere, maybe with a little acreage, and joining the local elk club.
That he lives in and stays in, perhaps - but if it's just a house to run to - property rights would be out the window, squatting would be common.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
That he lives in and stays in, perhaps - but if it's just a house to run to - property rights would be out the window, squatting would be common.
Depends on how well he has integrated into the community and his particular skill set. I would agree, it would be a little tacky for him to expect the community to help him if he had previously done nothing for the community and wasn't a doctor or other needed specialty.

Vaclav

Wasn't really talking integration with the community there - if you don't live there when disaster hits you might get to the property and find it's been taken over by squatters that are going to be defending it violently..

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Let the Kurins of the world kill themselves. We don't need pussies while we are rebuilding society. Resources are going to be short and we will only be able to support those that actually pull their weight.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Wasn't really talking integration with the community there - if you don't live there when disaster hits you might get to the property and find it's been taken over by squatters that are going to be defending it violently..
A tight small town community is not going to allow squatting.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
If I still lived in rural Wisconsin, I might make a go of it. Anyone living near a major population center during a civilization ending event has zero chance. When food and water disappear, people turn into animals. Hell, Arab spring got kicked off just because food became more expensive. New Orleans Katrina rape dome anyone? Now take away all hope of relief and rule of law, then watch what happens. Plus factor in how greedy and selfish everyone has gotten the last couple decades. Yeah a few small town communities might avoid infighting over medicine and resources long enough to get stable. Then the remaining rape gangs roll in once the cities get bled dry or worse surviving remnants of law enforcement or military looking for food. That's just assuming something that dorks over electricity or our food supply. Worldwide pandemic hits, and you can forget any sort of banding together.

But yeah Tad, you go all mad max and Valcav lets see how far your middle management networking skill get you over someone who actually has useful survival skills. "networking" is the most important survival skill and you call me unrealistic? Sure the human race has survived natural disasters, but that was with a fraction of our current population and before the invention of the iPhone.

Vaclav

Phaz: I was talking about networking as another skill set beyond obvious survival skills, not independent of them.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
@Phazael the world doesn't go immediately to shit, and 9/11 should show you that the people affected by a disaster don't all immediately go "fuck you all I'm getting out." The only world ending events that don't have some warning such as global thermonuclear war are generally so devastating that anyone who survives is going to want to stick together with anyone else.

Also, modern Americans have lost all sense of scale these roving gangs even if they show up aren't going to make it past any of the major mountain rangers in the United States once the gas runs out (pretty freaking quickly). And it's also a long way on foot even for the 328 miles from Chicago to Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in Winter, without food.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
On the bright side, both my kids are good at FPS! That's got to count a few points.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No one ever mentions prescription medication in any of this doomsday talk. A 50 year supply of food and water would do me a whole lot of good after I run out of meds, and die of an asthma attack.

McQueen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It was more a comment on the type of people that you see on prepping related TV shows than my own genetic short-comings. I have food and water for the occasional natural disaster, and a healthy stockpile of my own medicines. I've always tried to fill prescriptions seven days early, which is the earliest that any pharmacy I've been to will allow.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
No one ever mentions prescription medication in any of this doomsday talk. A 50 year supply of food and water would do me a whole lot of good after I run out of meds, and die of an asthma attack.
Not much you can do unless you know scientists from a good chemistry department/research hospital except stock up and hope civilization restarts quickly.

Also buy A Barefoot Doctor's Manual - I think they had acupuncture for asthma, IIRC.

Edit: for the record there is hope for diabetics if they take the time to read up now on how to extract insulin from sheep pancreases (pancreasi?).