Disaster Preparedness and Survival Training

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Lol snipers. Retards with guns shoot up anything and everything, especially stuff like transmission lines out in the middle of nowhere.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I've been without electricity/heat/running water for over a week at a time on four different occasions in the past 4 years. The prepper shit doesn't seem all that crazy to me now, but honestly, the only thing that was really useful was a portable butane stove. EDIT: Also, peanut butter M&Ms.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Both of those incidents are old news tad, just because your media options arejjust picking them up doesn't mean shit about them being 'covered up' I could find dozens of stories to conflate because they didn't get much airplay to imply conspiracy shit.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Whatever. The attack on infrastructure was a dry run and the fact it wasn't revealed until now raises the questions of how many other such dry runs have occured that we don't know about. Take the Jan 4, Minneapolis apartment complex explosion. It was likely a bomb factory that exploded (any other reason we'd have known about and the claim of "gas" was repudiated day one by the local gas company) and all information was promptly buried.

The point of posting it in this thread wasn't to argue for drones circling overhead but to remind people that the world isn't as safe as "some" seem to think and it is worthwhile being prepared because you really don't know what's going to come, or even (as this news report indicated) what's already happened.
You have proof this was a dry run? You have proof there was a bomb factory?

I agree, this is not the thread to argue theories. It also isn't the thread to post theories about what you think someone should prep for. It is a thread for how to prep, period. Now, the reason someone is prepping is relevant to how and what they prep, of course, but linking articles that have nothing but speculation in them isn't helping that. You could have just as easily linked your Fukushima articles and said we need to worry about radiation more than "some" of us do. Or fucking chemtrails. Or HAARP. Regardless of validity, none of that makes any difference to the topic at hand. If piggyvomit wants to prep for radiation exposure or power grid collapse, then fine, he can say that and we'll give our advice on how he should go about doing that. And others, same thing. But this isn't the thread for trying to convince us that any of that is actually going to happen. You have a thread all your own for that, so leave this one to the topic at hand.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Within half an hour, snipers opened fire on a nearby electrical substation. Shooting for 19 minutes, they surgically knocked out 17 giant transformers that funnel power to Silicon Valley. A minute before a police car arrived, the shooters disappeared into the night.

I don't know how "surgical" it was if it took 19 minutes to shoot 17 "giant" transformers. Sounds like it could have been some drunk teenagers as easily as an elite terrorist strike force.
Transformers go boom and make some nice sparkles when they explode, I would assume. What's more likely, a "dry run" for a terrorist attack (thereby tipping off authorities to the plot, how many "dry runs" of 9/11 did Osama do again?), or some kids fucking around with guns? Shit, sounds like something I'd have a blast doing if it weren't for the legal issues.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
The article I read said that the shooting spots were pre-marked by an advanced scout and shell casings were wiped clean, but it seems like different agencies have (or are publicly portraying) different opinions on the seriousness of the attack. Time length of the attack could very easily be to test response time. Also the entire event could be a distraction to throw investigators off the real trail of what the terrorists are attempting to pull off.

*note:I have been re-watching 24 and that may influence my opinion of the events.

iannis

Musty Nester
It might take longer than you'd think. There's a small transformer up the street. I'm pretty sure it would take more than 2-3 bullets to disable it.

Not saying anything more than I'm saying which is only it may very credibly take about a minute of shooting relatively small bullets at a relatively large pile of metal to disable it.

Sounds like a case for Mythbusters.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It might take longer than you'd think. There's a small transformer up the street. I'm pretty sure it would take more than 2-3 bullets to disable it.

Not saying anything more than I'm saying which is only it may very credibly take about a minute of shooting relatively small bullets at a relatively large pile of metal to disable it.

Pretty sure there's sniper shells designed to penetrate and then shred things with a light metal casing - I know there's some sort of sniper shell designed to punch into the block of a lightly armored vehicle and disable it with a single bullet from how it penetrates then fragments - pretty sure the same shells would rape a transformer quickly. Especially considering how easy it is for them to go wrong even with the case unpenetrated. (One nearest us in our previous home would freak out all the time just from a tree branch falling on it or other such shit - 45 min fixes or less for the power company, but really easy to knock offline temporarily for something trivial...)

Assuming they were a real terror cell and not yahoos - they'd have access to real hardware like that.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>

Shooting at the coils themselves would be hit and miss. At best you might hit the coil windings themselves, but that isn't guaranteed to take one out. At worst, you hit something like the iron core laminations and you do little or nothing.

Your residential type pole mounted transformers do get shot frequently, and normally they aren't damaged by bullets. They're damaged when the oil they're immersed in drains out, the coil overheats because the oil isn't there to radiate away heat any longer, and if you're lucky you get to see the last of the oil flash over and possibly explode.

Chris

Potato del Grande
How about living somewhere with the least number of possible natural disasters possible instead of building bunkers full of tinned food? Where I live I don't think that a single natural disaster could hit me other than a meteor.

Man made is another matter though, I have moderate nuke risk.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
How about living somewhere with the least number of possible natural disasters possible instead of building bunkers full of tinned food? Where I live I don't think that a single natural disaster could hit me other than a meteor.

Man made is another matter though, I have moderate nuke risk.
That's always been my plan. Though theoretically an earthquake can hit anywhere: e.g. New Madrid quake.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I remember back in like 2003-4 when we had that extended black out of the entire north east. It only lasted a few days, but still, people were already going bonkers. Stores were all sold out of everything, no one could pump gas, water was shut down, we had no means to even boil water because all our shit is electric. We had an infant at the time that required milk and formula and I had to drive well over 2 hours to get water and milk. We were one of the lucky ones because we had a small generator to back-feed 1/2 our house it made things more tolerable and this was in the summer too so no cold weather to contend with.

And this was only a few days of no power. Now imagine something like this happening for an extended period of time, maybe in the winter, for more than just the north west. Shit would get out of hand real quick. Imagine the simple fact of not being able to get to your cash. Shit I never thought of things liek that before that blackout, but I had no cash on hand, I rarely do, I use my debit card, but I could not even use ATMs, and the banks were closed.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
And this was only a few days of no power. Now imagine something like this happening for an extended period of time, maybe in the winter, for more than just the north west. Shit would get out of hand real quick.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Imagine that scenario, on a major scale, no end in sight, people starving, etc. Humans are fucking savages and it's hilarious to think that you're going to "REBUILD! 'MERICA! FUCK YEAH!" from your backwater ranch in Michigan/Montana/Kentucky, or wherever. You'll be lucky to even make it out of the city, let alone survive for the years it'll take to get society back to a "livable" situation.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Shooting at the coils themselves would be hit and miss. At best you might hit the coil windings themselves, but that isn't guaranteed to take one out. At worst, you hit something like the iron core laminations and you do little or nothing.

Your residential type pole mounted transformers do get shot frequently, and normally they aren't damaged by bullets. They're damaged when the oil they're immersed in drains out, the coil overheats because the oil isn't there to radiate away heat any longer, and if you're lucky you get to see the last of the oil flash over and possibly explode.
Lightning struck a ground box transformer thing that was right next to the building I work in. It caught fire then exploded catching a car near it on fire. It was intense.

I want to say the valley in CT is horrible for natural disasters but one of the best places for nuclear fallout if anything were ever to happen to NY or Boston.

Eorkern

Bronze Squire
rrr_img_59490.jpg

TXjohnny

<Bronze Donator>
Stores were all sold out of everything, no one could pump gas, water was shut down, we had no means to even boil water because all our shit is electric...Imagine the simple fact of not being able to get to your cash. Shit I never thought of things liek that before that blackout, but I had no cash on hand, I rarely do, I use my debit card, but I could not even use ATMs, and the banks were closed.
Did this experience change what you make sure to have at the house? What, if anything, did you buy/stock up on after this?