Disney+ Streaming Service

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
giphy.gif

It’s funny that the german guy is the only one not able to spot the dane. English in the Vaterland is terrible indeed.
huh?
1600443556063.png

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Kids have taken over livingroom tv with D+. It’s the gift that keeps on taking. Little shits are keeping me from giving it to Yennefer on the ps, damnit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
its a bit of guess work but apparently Mulan has netted $250-300m at least for Disney so far via their $30 D+ release. This $260m number is just US domestic, Mulan also released for $ internationally at slightly cheaper prices, so that'll be an additional amount of money.

In comparison in the same time frame Tenet has racked around $30m domestic and $220m intl, which is roughly gonna be $70-100m to Warner Bros. Less than a third of Mulan.

This is pretty much the death blow for theaters, it makes way more sense to put out a premium VOD offer than go to out to theaters for the next six months.

Its also gonna be a massive profit tier strategy for Disney now, they can start putting out "premium" movies on D+ for a 3-6 month exclusive $20-40 fee. Sucks ass but clearly people are willing to pay. I'd bet Black Widow pops up this way. The big question is stuff like Eternals.

There's a lot to analyze in those numbers.

260M on Disney+ is probably the equivalent of 600M+ Worldwide Box Office for Disney considering the take from theaters is 50% in US, and much lower internationally. So that's probably considered a success.

It probably also made some people sign up for Disney+ that were before which is some money, that they can hopefully keep a few subscribed all year long which could bring a decent amount too.

The place where they might lose, is some people saw the movie in theater and than bought it on Blu-ray or digitally. Now all of those that watched it on Disney+ don't need to buy it as long as they remain subscribed...this could lead to some losses on the sales of Blu-ray and digital.

Only Disney will know exactly if it's good or bad. One movie is too small a sample anyways, we'll have an idea if they go ahead and release Black Widow on Disney+, that would mean they somewhat satisfied with the results to take another chance, if they don't than it means it's under their expectation.

Probably the biggest factor long term is Disney+ subscriptions. If Disney is able to put 1 Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and other franchise per month on the service as premium this could drive the amount of subscribers up big time, allowing them to make massive money from the service, and right now being only $6.99 there's room for them to raise the cost if they add a lot of value to the service.

One thing that might change over time, is people getting used to this concept and organizing "at home movie nights" where they invite friends and family over for dinner and a movie making the $30 very much a great deal vs $10 per person at the theater + food.

As I've said I don't wish theaters to die, but I am hoping this works as I prefer to watch movie at home than at the theater but will go to the theater for some movies rather than wait 6 months to see it at home.

The thing that could be bad about this is that they move too much stuff to the premium service...imagine if The Mandalorian for example became something like $9.99 premium to watch now, and free in 3 months. It could get messy, and probably will to be honest...greed is a huge motivator.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Vision's body was designed by Ultron who was an alien AI greatly influenced by Tony Stark.

Anatomically, what is he packing down there? and how long until we get some vibranium "so hard" memes.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Show could actually be interesting if it ended up being something like a trip through Scarlet Witch's subconscious as her mental state was crumbling and gets darker and darker as it goes. Along the lines of Mulholland Drive. But it's Disney so it will actually just be some woke faggotry. Probably an indictment of the nuclear family and 1950s American values.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nah. What it will probably do is use changing TV as a metaphor for reality/nostalgia, much in the way TV changed over time to be grittier or “realistic”. Her perfect reality eventually changes as more of the real world seeps into it, shattering her fantasy. The TV show format works because there is a built in natural progression. There is a large gulf between Leave it to Beaver and The Sopranos.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Nah. What it will probably do is use changing TV as a metaphor for reality/nostalgia, much in the way TV changed over time to be grittier or “realistic”. Her perfect reality eventually changes as more of the real world seeps into it, shattering her fantasy. The TV show format works because there is a built in natural progression. There is a large gulf between Leave it to Beaver and The Sopranos.
i liked that premise better when it was called Pleasantville. at least it had actual spiderman in it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
There's a lot to analyze in those numbers.

260M on Disney+ is probably the equivalent of 600M+ Worldwide Box Office for Disney considering the take from theaters is 50% in US, and much lower internationally. So that's probably considered a success.

It probably also made some people sign up for Disney+ that were before which is some money, that they can hopefully keep a few subscribed all year long which could bring a decent amount too.

The place where they might lose, is some people saw the movie in theater and than bought it on Blu-ray or digitally. Now all of those that watched it on Disney+ don't need to buy it as long as they remain subscribed...this could lead to some losses on the sales of Blu-ray and digital.

Only Disney will know exactly if it's good or bad. One movie is too small a sample anyways, we'll have an idea if they go ahead and release Black Widow on Disney+, that would mean they somewhat satisfied with the results to take another chance, if they don't than it means it's under their expectation.

Probably the biggest factor long term is Disney+ subscriptions. If Disney is able to put 1 Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, and other franchise per month on the service as premium this could drive the amount of subscribers up big time, allowing them to make massive money from the service, and right now being only $6.99 there's room for them to raise the cost if they add a lot of value to the service.

One thing that might change over time, is people getting used to this concept and organizing "at home movie nights" where they invite friends and family over for dinner and a movie making the $30 very much a great deal vs $10 per person at the theater + food.

As I've said I don't wish theaters to die, but I am hoping this works as I prefer to watch movie at home than at the theater but will go to the theater for some movies rather than wait 6 months to see it at home.

The thing that could be bad about this is that they move too much stuff to the premium service...imagine if The Mandalorian for example became something like $9.99 premium to watch now, and free in 3 months. It could get messy, and probably will to be honest...greed is a huge motivator.

I know there's a lot of hate for theaters and such and I definitely love the convenience factor of streaming at home but I can't help but wax a little nostalgic for the days of blockbuster hype and even Blockbuster video. Maybe I'm just a little sick of staying home, I miss the "event" of going to a theater.

Anyone else get the sense that this whole virus bullshit is leading us to permanent social distancing a la The Naked Sun?

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I know there's a lot of hate for theaters and such and I definitely love the convenience factor of streaming at home but I can't help but wax a little nostalgic for the days of blockbuster hype and even Blockbuster video. Maybe I'm just a little sick of staying home, I miss the "event" of going to a theater.

Anyone else get the sense that this whole virus bullshit is leading us to permanent social distancing a la The Naked Sun?

Yea def don’t miss going to blockbuster and having to rent some piece of shit because all the good movies are gone.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
So 2021 will be the first 4 Marvel movie year. Black Widow, Eternals, Shang-Chi, and Spidey 3. Black Widow has to have a more important story than we think if they are gonna keep pushing it. Still no word on Falcon and Winter Soldier.