Divinity: Original Sin 2

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Do not bother with Wasteland 2 yet, unless you absolutely have to play a game right now. Wait for the upgraded engine version due out in October.
Don't you need to buy the new version for that though?

iannis

Musty Nester
Have you played the previous Divinity games?

Larian got a whole shit-PILE better at the story telling aspects of the game with D:OS. Divine Divinity was basically nonsensical -- but fun. Their first Divinity was like an UO rip. They had a RTS-ish recently that I think the only point was to mock SJWs. The studio has had a real steady progression in getting better at making them. Which is pretty neat. They've been doing this for a while.

I'll give 'em a pledge, then promptly forget about this shit for 2 years. It'll probably wind up taking them about that long.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'll give 'em a pledge, then promptly forget about this shit for 2 years. It'll probably wind up taking them about that long.
Well it says in the KS Dec of 2016. I imagine this one will come out quicker than the original since it should just use the tools and engine they already wrote and designed for D:OS.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Have you played the previous Divinity games?

Larian got a whole shit-PILE better at the story telling aspects of the game with D:OS. Divine Divinity was basically nonsensical -- but fun. Their first Divinity was like an UO rip. They had a RTS-ish recently that I think the only point was to mock SJWs. The studio has had a real steady progression in getting better at making them. Which is pretty neat. They've been doing this for a while.

Oh yeah, Divinity 2 was fun but very much off the rails, doubly so the enhanced edition. I'll never forget the lightning tree that killed everybody who came close because nobody tried to actually ask it to stop
biggrin.png
OS was about on par with that I'd say.

Rime

<Donor>
Don't you need to buy the new version for that though?
Wasteland 2: Enhanced Edition_sl said:
Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition is a free upgrade to all owners of the game on PC, Mac and Linux, developer inXile has announced.

Wasteland 2 Game of the Year Edition is an enhanced and expanded version of inXile's Kickstarted old-school post-apocalyptic role-playing game, and is due out late summer.

The visuals benefit from a switch to the Unity 5 game engine, with improved textures, character models and lighting. Thousands of lines of new voice-over have been recorded.

Meanwhile, new Perks & Quirks have been added, as well as the new Precision Strike system, which lets players target individual body parts on enemies to inflict debilitating effects.

InXile also promised overhauled game balance, item drops and reworked combat encounters.

"We wanted to re-affirm our gratitude to our backers and our dedication to RPG fans, as we have been most fortunate to return to our roots," said inXile boss Brian Fargo.

"We plan to continue our proud tradition with Bard's Tale 4, which we'll crowdfund later this year."
Nope. According to them, if you own the current version of Wasteland 2, you get the Unity 5/enhanced edition for free when it comes out in October.

You have to buy it on the PS4/XBone/etc.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh yeah, Divinity 2 was fun but very much off the rails, doubly so the enhanced edition. I'll never forget the lightning tree that killed everybody who came close because nobody tried to actually ask it to stop
biggrin.png
OS was about on par with that I'd say.
yeah. Larian definitely has a house style in terms of writing. They take epic stories, then make them a bit silly. Take nothing to seriously.
The games themselves are a bit all over the place in terms of genres. They clearly like to experiment, take risks, and frankly over reach their means.

2002 Divine Divinity. Was originally intended to be the first "Ultima" style rpg. however, at the time Diablo 2 was in full swing. (2000) the publisher demanded they make it an ARPG.
2004 Beyond Divinity. Sequal/expac.

It shouild be noted Larian LOVES to rerelease... 2004. Beyond Divinity: Deluxe edition. 2009 Remaster Divine Divinity.

Divinity 2 is their biggest hit prior to OS.
2009 Divinity 2:Ego Draconis. game was incomplete. 3d fable/morrowind/etc type gameplay. Very easy to cheese. worth playing if only for the writing.
2010 Divinity 2:flames of Vengeance. part 2
2011 rerelease (divinity 2:the dragon knight saga) Full game finally.
2012 re-rerelease. divinity 2:developers cut.

2013. Dragon commander. Dragon commander is kindof a mess. An attempt to blend rpg, Rts, and risk/4x...
Failed miserably. Notable mostly exclusively for the character designs and writing.
no re-release to fix the game yet.

2014 Divinity:OS. Obvs super well received. Probably the most complete at launch. Although they did still keep updating it. Companions. 4 player parties, etc.
2015 Enchanced Edition.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Did they ever get around to finishing the first game? I heard there was a patch recently.

It had a super polished complex first act but each act after had less and less to do.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They've got a hands on pvp arena at Pax and it's pretty damn slick. Playing with a controller is miserable, but otherwise the combat seems great. Nothing really playable in terms of story so who knows there.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Did they ever get around to finishing the first game? I heard there was a patch recently.

It had a super polished complex first act but each act after had less and less to do.
Enchanced Edition is due in October on all systems/pc.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Shame it doesn't look like that 2M goal will be hit. I wanted to dungeon keeper some fools.

iannis

Musty Nester
Avalone, guys. Remember Planescape? Remember Fallout? Remember New Vegas?

I hope the furreners treat him right. I want to see Larian systems + Avalone story. It will be glorious!

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Avalone, guys. Remember Planescape? Remember Fallout? Remember New Vegas?

I hope the furreners treat him right. I want to see Larian systems + Avalone story. It will be glorious!
He did work on PoE also. I was really surprised that was never a larger selling point for most people.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
I actually felt the dialogue and narrative in PO:E to be average, certainly nowhere near Planescape in quality. Now Wasteland II, that had dialogue/narrative closer to Planescape quality.