Divinity: Original Sin 2

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
D:OS is fairly unique.
Its a successor to ULTIMA, not Infinity engine games.
What that means is a much deeper interaction with the world, environment, and characters. It is essentially a game of systems. As the notes on tactics are being made. you are entirely supposed to use and abuse the world, and mechanic interactions.
It also has a multiplayer conversation element, not seen in any other game. Where in 2 player, each player can choose their own dialogue options in any given conversation, allowing arguing among yourselves.

And yes, all Larian games are inundated with silliness. Much like a World of warcraft, as apposed to diablo, or even Warcraft rts.

Yeah Divinity 2 is incredibly silly but REALLY good. For instance, if i remember correctly you drop out of a portal like the Terminator to start the expansion.

Wrathin3L

Peasant
Sulrn Sulrn Gave me his second D:OS key at release and we tried giving it a go in the two player. The silliness is a hit or miss thing I thought it was goofy fun, but for him it was hit and miss and derailed us a little after the first real boss. Didn't actually get him to finish it with me until the EE.

Definitely worth a play or two, but at least at release it was really easy to gimp yourself without a few test runs of combat.

• 1SJW
Reactions: 1 user

Sulrn

Deuces
Sulrn Sulrn Didn't actually get him to finish it with me until the EE.

Definitely worth a play or two, but at least at release it was really easy to gimp yourself without a few test runs of combat.

I'd say having you teleport the boss on my head while I was low hp and finishing off the two adds was a good point to take a breather from our original play through.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I couldn't even find the other thread for the original game, so I'm posting here. But happy to move if someone points out where it is.

Been playing through a couple restarts of this game and it seems like combat is dominated by status effects. To that end, I'm trying to understand the point of having a warrior. Or even anything not a mage. I'm playing through with double lone wolf(perhaps a mistake) and my warrior can fist, battering ram, and bitter cold(not 100%) as his CC options. And they are all on medium-long cooldown.

My mage has easily 2x CC options and some of them are down to 1 turn cooldown. So most of the time, my warrior is just sitting around crippling stuff and then whacking them, the mage CCing everything and then doing decent damage on top of it.

I thought maybe the warrior could soak a lot of status effects through boosting willpower and bodybuilding but I don't see the point of those skills unless your whole party partakes equally. Otherwise, the AI could just target the character without high skill and you're just as screwed.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Warriors are unstoppable damage gods lategame. Sure, they don't offer the CC that a mage does, but once you build them up with willpower/bodybuilding enough to get pretty immune to CC and they can charge in + throw their rain of blows thing it oneshots I think actually every enemy? My warrior killed the last boss before it even got it a turn etc. I forget the name of the skill that gives them massive resist boosts as well, to the point of near immunity, but it all stacks up enough eventually that they can ignore basically all magic and just walk around turning enemies in to chum with a 2h.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Hmmm, trying to determine the ideal party comp then(because that's who I am, I just can't "play" a game). 2 warriors, 2 mages? Rogues, melee or ranged, fit in there at all?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Hmmm, trying to determine the ideal party comp then(because that's who I am, I just can't "play" a game). 2 warriors, 2 mages? Rogues, melee or ranged, fit in there at all?

I've always done double Lone Wolf personally. When the Enhanced Edition came out I tried a few different pairings for the Tactical difficulty mode. I already wasn't super happy with tanks in the base game compared to Rogue/Archery stuff and with the changes I didn't like Rogue/Archery all that much either. I settled on double Mage and thought it was really, really fun and powerful. With the introduction of Wands you've got very reliable ranged damage plus elemental effects and you can dual wield them. Even at the very very start of the game Wands are just amazing and by the end game you're dual wielding crazy good wands with piles of stats for tons of damage. +3 int +3 con and I get to wear two of these things? Sign me up.

It took a bit of experimenting but on my last run I felt as powerful at the end of the Tactical edition as I felt at the end of the original game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Provided you build/play correctly, pretty much anything is fine and will be overpowered by like 2/3rd into the game or earlier depending. The most broken in the original was 2H warrior, but I think in EE it was dual wield rogue, although it's been a while. Broken as in, can one round most content after spending a round of buffing. But they buffed mages to be a lot less shit in endgame in terms of damage(they were super strong in terms of control and support, just damage wasn't the greatest without stupid setups with barrels and especially against enemies that healed on poison/fire) and archers have better skills too so they're not awful either, it just doesn't reach the stupid potential a fully stacked buffed melee with near max AP can do in endgame with crafted gear.

So assuming you want the most broken combo, probably mage+rogue or mage+warrior, make sure you have some room for crafting(rogues and warriors can spec crafting and still max damage skills, mages not so much). You can do 4man, but it's generally not as powerful I've found because you can't min max as much on the damage dealer, which doesn't let you take out bosses in 1round. You probably deal with large trash encounters better though, as a 2man in tactician, you have to do a whole lot of weird shit at times cause there's like 10mobs and some fucking anti physical aura bitch ass floating thing and a cleric that can rez it and whatever other nonsense.

Caliane

D:OS 2 is out in early access for kickstarter supporters.

Quick look. looks good.

One major turn off.
The game is built around using a pre-generated character. you CAN make a custom one, however, the game is really designed to be played as one of the prefab ones. More dialogue, more character interaction.
It does have a neat "tag" system, were you can assign tags to your character, which effect dialogue. "noble", "mystic", "rogue" etc. however, reports are all saying, these tags are largely just clips from the prefab characters. like the "noble" tag ends up just being the red prince's noble tag, and dialogue is based on what HE would say, or be talked to as a noble.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
That sounds fine to me, they had shown that before in the char creation video from a couple of months ago, if you want the roleplay shit you tag stuff, if you don't you don't, and if you want the specially tailored dialogue stuff you play a premade char, no real issues with that system. If you're scared you'll miss stuff you could use all the tags, assuming that's doable, or use a mod to do it. But having different interactions depending on your origins means there's some replayability other than playing a different class.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I am playing DOS2 early access and the game looks very very good graphically. The combat gameplay seems a bit faster than the original and I really like the starting area and story. This one is going to be good.

Playing a BattleMage as main and she is raping faces. Also carrying a fighter, mage, ranger.

I started with a custom character vice one of the prefabs... although it seems they are all in the starting area... what i mean is, there are a bunch of characters at starting area and it seems you can play one of them or play your own toon.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
I am so glad to hear that, there are so very few tactical games that are "great," DOS was one of my favorites even with the horrible starting area.

How awesome are the new races you can play as?

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
The elves are cannibals that gain memories from eating people. What more do you need?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Wait what.

My dear christ.

This may be the best game ever.

Elves that retain knowledge by eating their old? I am so glad I've avoided info on this game until this very second.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Playing DOS1 atm, ranger/mage. Just killed a gigantic spider in some shitty dust land that slows. I am now a man. (Boots with slowing immunity, gawd damnit).

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Chris Avellone is working on this project. Nuff Said.

They had me a year ago when he joined the team.

Last edited:

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Wait what.

My dear christ.

This may be the best game ever.

Elves that retain knowledge by eating their old? I am so glad I've avoided info on this game until this very second.
Only seen the screenshot of the talent/trait/whatever it's called in this game, and it seems to be universal, as in not an elven thing to pass on memories. From the wording, you can simply eat any body part and gain access to memories of that person. It seems it'll be something similar to Pet Pal in the original, which is still in this game, which lets you communicate with animals. It added a lot of dialogue like from rats who had witnessed various events, some gave you hints about secret shit, some just lore, and some were actual quest related and would let you end quest in some ways that wouldn't be available without talking to animals(like Jake's murder), or literally take quests from animals(like that cat in the inn you had to find a necklace for so he could propose to his lady cat).

• 1Worf

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Only seen the screenshot of the talent/trait/whatever it's called in this game, and it seems to be universal, as in not an elven thing to pass on memories. From the wording, you can simply eat any body part and gain access to memories of that person. It seems it'll be something similar to Pet Pal in the original, which is still in this game, which lets you communicate with animals. It added a lot of dialogue like from rats who had witnessed various events, some gave you hints about secret shit, some just lore, and some were actual quest related and would let you end quest in some ways that wouldn't be available without talking to animals(like Jake's murder), or literally take quests from animals(like that cat in the inn you had to find a necklace for so he could propose to his lady cat).

It is a trait that anyone can buy but the elves get it by default as well as racial dialog options to go along with it. I just ran into a woman that didn't want to tell me about her missing baby because she was afraid I, as an elf, was going to eat it.

Not sure if you would unlock similar options if you played a human and got that trait later.