Divinity: Original Sin 2

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I actually felt the dialogue and narrative in PO:E to be average, certainly nowhere near Planescape in quality. Now Wasteland II, that had dialogue/narrative closer to Planescape quality.
See, I didn't think the Wasteland 2 story was all that great. Arizona was pretty good, but shortly after starting California, the narrativereallystarted to drag for me. Plus, theyheavilycopied from the original Wasteland. It almost felt like the same fucking story, with just slight tweaks here and there.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Now it looks like getting that 2M stretch goal is actually a possibility

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
After playing through the EE for free, this is one pre-order I have no issues with. Love the idea of different races having different responses from the NPC's, I'd laugh how that crazy bitch in the first city would react to an undead stealing her smelly panties.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah well fuck Early Access. Definitely picking the game up once it releases though, first one was really cool, I spent like 200hours on it counting the original and EE, and this one looks way better in a lot of ways. But playing an unfinished version early sounds like a good way to not feel like playing the game once it releases, which seems like a waste. That and potentially getting annoyed at them balancing shit in a way that nerfs the shit you liked or what not. I remember the EA for the original had a bunch of people complaining about stuff like that.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Hmm I might pick up EE - is it sort of like Pillars of Eternity? Better?

Different, PoE is real time combat, this is true turn based. Otherwise I would say they are roughly about the same quality wise. Obviously very different engines and details, but still both roleplaying games with OK stories and fun combat.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
If narrative tone matters, D:OS does tend a lot more towards the "silly" in its writing (the stealth mode has your character tiptoeing around disguised as a bush; that's a fair indicator of the general tone of the game). Aside from that, yeah, it's turn-based combat, and there's a fair amount of emphasis on the idea of having different effects interact with each other (water douses fire, lightning is amplified by water, poison gas explodes on contact with flame, etc.).

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider

I think it's better, though both are good games. Definitely play divinity on the special difficulty mode, I forget what it's called. Even on the hardest mode, you can become godlike about halfway through the game with just some light metagaming, but it's still a good playthrough. The tactical options in divinity are great, such as placing special oil barrels before a fight in order to detonate them with fireballs, or doing synergy comboes like nuking a guy with ice (spawning an icepatch) then hitting them with a fireball (melting the ice, leaving them in a water puddle) then unleashing a lightning storm, which electrifies the new pool of water, stunning everyone on it.

Caliane

D:OS is fairly unique.
Its a successor to ULTIMA, not Infinity engine games.
What that means is a much deeper interaction with the world, environment, and characters. It is essentially a game of systems. As the notes on tactics are being made. you are entirely supposed to use and abuse the world, and mechanic interactions.
It also has a multiplayer conversation element, not seen in any other game. Where in 2 player, each player can choose their own dialogue options in any given conversation, allowing arguing among yourselves.

And yes, all Larian games are inundated with silliness. Much like a World of warcraft, as apposed to diablo, or even Warcraft rts.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user