Divinity: Original Sin 2

Caliane

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but finesse armor is the best armor in the game at least for tactician mode right? The only bonus I'm not sure they can roll is +int or +str, but then again I'm not sure they can't. It just seems with the current armor/magic armor system that if you were to play a tanky fighter or any kind mage your best setup would be one hand/wand and shield with finesse armor to keep both your armor and magic armor high. Of course traditional rogues and archers will wear it anyway. The only subset I could see not using it is the two handed or dual wielding fighter archetypes if finesse indeed can't roll strength.

edit: You would have to spin a couple points here and there in to finesse instead of your main stat to equip the armor but I don't think it would be that bad especially if you are running lonewolf.
In the sense, finesse armor is balanced for AR/MR. sure. but you can beef up either with spells. Fortify/steel, or hydro MR spells.

Vimeseh

Trakanon Raider
In the sense, finesse armor is balanced for AR/MR. sure. but you can beef up either with spells. Fortify/steel, or hydro MR spells.

Maybe I'm missing something but do the spells like fortify actually take you over your armor limit while in effect or can they only fill to the point at which your passive armor is capped? If its the former then yes you can toss that fortify on a mage when he is about to be in trouble and he could wear int gear that can roll +int. If the latter though then you would still be better off with the finesse armor because of its more balanced armor type spread and you could utilize the full effect of the spell. I think it is almost a given that characters should all have a point or two in necro/aero/geo/pyro just to get those armor/mr buffs not to mention the status they all remove.

Caliane

Maybe I'm missing something but do the spells like fortify actually take you over your armor limit while in effect or can they only fill to the point at which your passive armor is capped? If its the former then yes you can toss that fortify on a mage when he is about to be in trouble and he could wear int gear that can roll +int. If the latter though then you would still be better off with the finesse armor because of its more balanced armor type spread and you could utilize the full effect of the spell. I think it is almost a given that characters should all have a point or two in necro/aero/geo/pyro just to get those armor/mr buffs not to mention the status they all remove.
some do, some dont. Fortify does. (provides phsy a) mend metal does not. (restores phys a)

yeah, need to do that with everything. haha.
2 in a martial skill for teleport. (cloak and dagger, tactial retreat, phoenix dive, or spread your wings.) 2 in geo for fortify. (worth for decay break alone.) 2 in hydro for restor/arm of frost.
2 in areo for teleport.

also opens up alot of combo skills of course. blood rain is pretty beast.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I managed to defeat Dallis at the first meeting in Fort Joy at the games start using some very cheesy tactics. Gives a hidden achievement as well. Way I used to do it was:
First of all, don't approach Dallis and her group at the gate when you start the game, take the side ladder up the wall and do every quest/exp possible in the fort to level up without actually escaping the fort into the swamps (that despawns her party even if you don't speak with them). As long as you don't approach their party or enter the swamps, Dallis and her crew stand idle at the gate waiting forever. I made it to level 5 from the stuff in the fort (Tactician mode).

Once leveled, climb the wall to the side of Dallis's party and use Telekinesis with huge crates to block off the top of both ladders up the wall. Put your entire party on the wall above Dallis's group, but out of line of sight from the ground. Start combat by shooting an arcing projectile into their group (fossile strike works). The enemies will try to get to you, but because a crate is blocking the upper part of the ladder, they can't actually get up the wall. One of the magisters has a crossbow, and he will shoot the crate from the ground, trying to break it. Have one of your party walk to the wall's edge, teleport that magister up into your group on the wall, then move back away from the wall's edge during the same turn. If you end your turn in line of sight of the guys on the ground, it's over because the Pet's will blink up with their backstabs and Alexander will netherswap people down.

Finish off the crossbow magister, then start bombing the guys on the ground by using 1 AP to approach the walls edge, cast a few spells, then your last AP to end your turn out of LOS from the ground. It's slow, but apparently none of them know any healing spells, so you win eventually. Once Alexander or Dallis get to about half life, they both retreat from combat and give you the achievement (and Dallis's unique hammer). The magisters and the 2 Geist pets remain, and you can just clean them up with the same hit and run tactics from out of LOS.

To speed it up some I teleported the Geists up as well so my melee could help finish them, but they must be CC'ed at all times or their backstabs will one shot your low level team at that point in the game (on Tactician at least).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Nice thinking Sinzar, was actually thinking of trying that earlier tonight (fighting her) since i skip that part to go get all my people. Creatative!!

Hey dumb question, i went shadow instead of rogue and it defaulted beast to guerrilla for his talent (40% damage on sneak). Is there a functional way to really take advantage of this in a fight? After combat starts doesn't reallly seem viable. I use my ranger long range to put me in combat alot and don't think doing that with sneaking rogue would be good.

Caliane

yeah, never got a chance to figure out how to cheese the dallis fight myself. (Aside from quickly noticing the ladder. read too many strats spoiling it.
Fav one, came out yesterday.
(pump STR in char creator. grab a deathfog barrel from the prologue.)

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Nice thinking Sinzar, was actually thinking of trying that earlier tonight (fighting her) since i skip that part to go get all my people. Creatative!!

Hey dumb question, i went shadow instead of rogue and it defaulted beast to guerrilla for his talent (40% damage on sneak). Is there a functional way to really take advantage of this in a fight? After combat starts doesn't reallly seem viable. I use my ranger long range to put me in combat alot and don't think doing that with sneaking rogue would be good.

I assume that skill also works for invis, so IE: You can use the chameleon skill (Polymorph 1) combined with the teleport skill from scoundrel (cloak and dagger?) which should let you teleport behind a mob invis and backstab for 40% extra. There are also items (mushrooms and the likes) that triggers invisibility (or use them to make potions).

For me, think I am closing in on finishing the first island.... Only 44 hours played! (restarted a few times). In the maze now.
Skipped it first time since I showed the ring there, but didn't have a shock spell for rat, so had to go back and now I can't skip it.

I think I have done everything except the witch (she wiped me hard the first time) and then I guess going towards the boat. Since I discovered that NPCs react so differently to the various party members, I end up talking to nearly everyone 4 times. This game is going to take forever.

That said, please note that if using Fane and having him in an illusion, he will not trigger conversation options. When your party reacts to something with !, he will not get one if in an illusion. Can anyone confirm if he still triggers his origin quests in that form? I've stopped using illusions due to being afraid that he will suddenly not trigger things like "I want to talk to that person, do you mind?". I really want him in elf form for the racial buff, but not at the expense of missing/breaking a quest. Don't care that much about the one liner ! parts.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah, it's a minor pet peeve that he can't talk when he's faceswapped. especially since when you meet him... he's face swapped.

Caliane

For me, think I am closing in on finishing the first island.... Only 44 hours played! (restarted a few times). In the maze now.
Skipped it first time since I showed the ring there, but didn't have a shock spell for rat, so had to go back and now I can't skip it.
maze
shock spell? thought it was just any magic, though I suppose my main magic being aero/hydro, could have just picked shock by chance.
A heads up. The historian seems a bit bugged. There is no clear indication of what you are "supposed" to do, imho. bless direct, doesnt work. blessed water, etc. does not work. you need to bless BLOOD, under him. blood rain works. or, create a blood pool, via melee attacks on yourself, or easiest way is flesh sacrifice from an elf. Then, teleport him onto the blood pool and bless him, or it.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I'm on Act 3 right now and I don't see how they could end it without another one coming up.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
The acts as we are referring to them are not as the game labels them. The game refers to the prison ship in the beginning as act 1, fort joy island as act 2, etc

Caliane

I've seen chapter 6 mentioned in reddit repeatedly.

Prerelease I see talks of 3 chapters, and 4 maps.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
I consider Nameless Isle as a (relatively short) Act 3. And tutorial ship as not a thing at all, thus 4.

Kriptini

Vyemm Raider
This fight was amazing.

Necrofire.jpg

Rime

<Donor>
Yeah. The Blackpits fight was insane. One of the few I just started over from the beginning, as I knew I was beyond boned (Two biggest hitters were a Geomancer and a Pyro.)

Del

Vyemm Raider
So I just ran into a bug where the game put Saheila into my party and let me take control of her. lol

I have a 5 man party now apparently.

79E960F731B6E4635ABBE2F78428272AFFFB24AC

Last edited: