Divinity: Original Sin 2

Raign

Golden Squire
But yeah early game don't spend all your point in your main tree necessarily, you'll have good damage scaling from gear+main stat from attributes anyway, so just grab all the various schools you want, and once you have all your basics, that's when you start dumping into a skill for the passive damage specifically. I'd also recommend getting some memory points early on to fit all these skills, you can respec out of them later once you get enough memory slots from normal levels.

This is amazing advice. There are a lot of advantages to this approach, not the least of which is you will actually start to see some of the combos much earlier.. like before the fairly impressive AI melts you with them! Couple of tips I have picked up (mostly related to physical-heavy parties) to add:
  • If you want to steal from a moving character, have another character talk to them, then switch to the thief, this will prevent them from spinning/ roaming around and breaking your steal because they are locked in a conversation
  • Keep every skill book unless you have multiple copies of a skill already in the group, down the road you are likely to have every skill open and in many cases, in duplicate and this will keep you from having to steal.. I mean buy them all over again
  • There are a number of combat highlighting options in the Display menu that make life much easier when the AoE shit-fest has most of the map covered in fire and goo
  • Dip your physical characters into warfare (1 point is fine), especially rogues, having access to Battle Stomp and Battering Ram across all your physical characters make life MUCH easier
  • Most of the skills in Poly are also physical, with 1 point in Poly you get access to probably the best single target cc (Chicken Claw) and an invis (Cameleon Cloak).. a second point gives you wings which is a god send on melee
Such a good game.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
thanks for the tips. I am in Act 2 right now, can I go back to the boat and resepc at anytime? Or did I miss my shot.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
You can use the waypoint (button on the minimap) from anywhere to return to the ship.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Respec is infinite, can do it as much as you want.

More general tips:

• Any foot armor + nails adds spikes that prevent slipping on ice
  • Bedrolls are free and infinite full heals outside of combat, nice time saver to carry one around
  • Pumpkin soup adds a bunch of wits, useful if you don't have anyone leveling it to notice buried treasure etc
  • A single point in necromancy is good for basically everyone to have bone armor - it scales off level and doesn't require int, and the armor it can give is massive
  • Two of the same potion combine in to a better version of that potion, very useful for some fights to have 50% or 75% elemental resist potions around
  • Huntsman high group bonuses applies to magic as well, and the teleport+haste skill is probably the best teleport in the game. Mages can dish out some ridiculous damage by teleporting to the highest point and throwing chain lightning or something
  • Put shields+wand on your casters. Staves suck dick unless you're trying some int-based melee build and the stats they give aren't that much higher than a single wand. A shield basically doubles mage toughness.
  • Weapon skills are all mostly worse than just leveling warfare for the damage bonus there. Some minor sidegrade options for dual wield dodge chance, and at the very end game the crit damage from the 2h skill can become relevant.
  • I like having my entire team with 2 points in scoundrel to pick The Pawn talent. Free moves every turn save you so many AP when you need to re-position slightly to land a spell or whatever.
  • Take Mnemonic talent on everyone, it's more efficient than leveling memory.
  • Savage Sortilege sucks dick unless you're specifically trying to build a dual wield wand character and have wands with huge +critical chance on them; you won't have near enough crit chance for it to ever matter otherwise.
  • Blank skillbook + scroll makes a skillbook of that skill. Very useful to get some of the more expensive or harder to find books.
  • Grab every idol of rebirth you ever see. They can be charged with a res scroll and are just flat superior to using res scrolls manually.
  • Merchants restock inventory every time you level and every hour of in game time. In the mid to lategame you'll want to check them frequently as they will be your best source of gear upgrades.
  • You want masterwork type runes for all your physical based characters. The final form of them increases armor of the item by 40%, which is a fucking shit ton on a shield. It's also 15% physical weapon damage, meaning 2 rune slot weapons are often just the best weapon if you have the runes to put in them.
  • Honey + arrowhead or honey + perfume bottle makes charm arrows/grenades, which is some of the best CC in the game so be sure to pick up all the honey jars you see and fill them at beehives.
  • Air essence + arrow head is a static cloud arrow head, which can turn the tide of entire fights as it cuts off vision and applies stun.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Needless

Toe Sucker
I shall have to try some of those tips, i've been stuck on the fight before you get on the boat (i assume). My damn lohnse is so useless :(

I also didn't realize telling the sanctuary that i'm gonna go fight those idiots, made them all leave the camp so i can't really buy anything or from that place anymore

Caliane

I shall have to try some of those tips, i've been stuck on the fight before you get on the boat (i assume). My damn lohnse is so useless :(

I also didn't realize telling the sanctuary that i'm gonna go fight those idiots, made them all leave the camp so i can't really buy anything or from that place anymore
they are at the new camp.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
2 comments on that list, The Pawn only requires 1scoundrel but you do have to put a point in it, not just use an item(I did it on every char, being able to take even a couple of steps to the side to get line of sight or a bit of range is worth for 0AP is well worth it imo). And Mnemonic is good early game but about halfway you might want to respec out of it since once you cap your main stat at lvl ~15(less with polymorph) you'll have plenty of points to drop into memory anyway. Also you'll have a bunch of free slots from leveling up so you don't need as many. Definitely great early on when you struggle though.

Also arguably Savage Sortilege isn't too bad even without DW wands. I have about 20% on my mage without a crit amulet(using a barter amulet cause I'm too lazy to swap on my fire mage) from wand and gloves and maybe something else. It's not a big improvement to damage but due to the burst nature it can be helpful anyway, and it's not like I had any other talent to take(that's really the main issue, there's not that many good talents). I have The Pawn, Elemental Affinity, Far Out Man, Mnemonic(soon to be respec out) and then what? Everything else looks like garbo or super situational. All skilled up is nice but not on that char since it's my barter char so I don't feel it's worth it and the only point of that talent is the 1civil really. Comeback Kid in case I die maybe? Demon for fire resist so I can supernova better? It's all kinda whatever, Savage Sortilege at least increases damage(sometimes). Can also take Hothead with the next talent point to get a free 10%crit in most situations. With that, a 10% wand, a 9% rune in amulet and a bit of wits on gear it isn't too hard to get 40% crit which is a fair amount.

Raign

Golden Squire

You can cheese that fight big time if you are stuck:

You send one character forward and leave the rest by the seeker camp, once the fight is triggered run the puller back to the rest - both the Archon and the archer will hang out down below without assisting. When the worm shows up, run your characters away and let the Magisters duke it out with the worm. Just pick off the magisters with ranged until the worm dies, then it is just easy mop of mostly dead magisters

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
2 comments on that list, The Pawn only requires 1scoundrel but you do have to put a point in it, not just use an item(I did it on every char, being able to take even a couple of steps to the side to get line of sight or a bit of range is worth for 0AP is well worth it imo). And Mnemonic is good early game but about halfway you might want to respec out of it since once you cap your main stat at lvl ~15(less with polymorph) you'll have plenty of points to drop into memory anyway. Also you'll have a bunch of free slots from leveling up so you don't need as many. Definitely great early on when you struggle though.

Also arguably Savage Sortilege isn't too bad even without DW wands. I have about 20% on my mage without a crit amulet(using a barter amulet cause I'm too lazy to swap on my fire mage) from wand and gloves and maybe something else. It's not a big improvement to damage but due to the burst nature it can be helpful anyway, and it's not like I had any other talent to take(that's really the main issue, there's not that many good talents). I have The Pawn, Elemental Affinity, Far Out Man, Mnemonic(soon to be respec out) and then what? Everything else looks like garbo or super situational. All skilled up is nice but not on that char since it's my barter char so I don't feel it's worth it and the only point of that talent is the 1civil really. Comeback Kid in case I die maybe? Demon for fire resist so I can supernova better? It's all kinda whatever, Savage Sortilege at least increases damage(sometimes). Can also take Hothead with the next talent point to get a free 10%crit in most situations. With that, a 10% wand, a 9% rune in amulet and a bit of wits on gear it isn't too hard to get 40% crit which is a fair amount.

Yea I think Sortilege is probably fine around level 14-15 as you'll have a decent chunk of crit from gear, and most of the other talents are pretty garbage. Smartest peanut in the turd or something like that.

Has anyone played around with Living Armor at all? Does it restore any significant amount?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Why is warfare better than the weapon skills? Both add 5% damage while some of the weapon skills have other bonuses as well

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Why is warfare better than the weapon skills? Both add 5% damage while some of the weapon skills have other bonuses as well

Warfare is multiplicative and the weapon skills are additive. Don't know why, but that's what they did.

Finished Act 2. Game still good aside from the ridiculous item inflation.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah the weapon skills are all additive with your main stat damage bonus. So at low level, the weapon skills are certainly better, but as your damage % from main stat increases, the multiplicative bonuses from the combat skills become better than the same value+side bonus. 2H is arguably the only competitive one due to crit damage, but like dual wield is poop, 1H is only slightly useful and you can use Hothead instead generall, ranged is a very small amount so yeah warfare becomes better.

On Living Armor, it only works on healing spells and potions apparently, not like necro passive healing and I believe I read it doesn't work on poison heals for undead, so it's not really that good. I'm also not sure if it works on overhealing or just actual healing, which would be a lot worse. I haven't found it to be an issue since I always use Soothing Cold on my wits water/air mage at the start, and atm at lvl 13 it regens 115magic armor per turn for 3turns, then I can spot frost armour with either mage for like 300 or whatever it is and all my chars besides my rogue have shields up too, so magic armor is generally fine even though most of my chars are standing in shit every fight. And since I use a bunch of CC myself, enemies lose their armor faster than me and then they can't do shit anyway. I'm pretty surprised so far at how many enemies actually can be CCed, bosses and all.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Do wands effect Mage/skill damage? I think i didn't bother upgrading them since I assumed they didnt but if skill damage is based on the dps of the weapon I can see why I could barely kill things.

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Do wands effect Mage/skill damage? I think i didn't bother upgrading them since I assumed they didnt but if skill damage is based on the dps of the weapon I can see why I could barely kill things.

No. Main stat + level are the only things, but you can get wands with stats/+skills that will help increase damage.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
So I've completely lost access to the lower deck on the Lady Vengeance where the respec mirror is. When i click on the hatch to go down it does nothing. Is it disabled at some point in Act 2 or is my game just fucked?

Rime

<Donor>
For the final fight of Act 1...

I sent Lohse in, she had the highest initiative. Everyone else, I teleported up onto the wall to the left of the area. That way, when the fight started, I used Tactical Retreat with Lohse, then ran back to the group and the enemies all had to run half-way across the screen to get to me - One at a time.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I've completely lost access to the lower deck on the Lady Vengeance where the respec mirror is. When i click on the hatch to go down it does nothing. Is it disabled at some point in Act 2 or is my game just fucked?
That doesn't sound normal, you tried clicking with another char? Maybe you do lose access to it for some quest but I would assume it'd be obvious if you did.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
That doesn't sound normal, you tried clicking with another char? Maybe you do lose access to it for some quest but I would assume it'd be obvious if you did.

Yeah, I've tried everything. I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing but, like you say, it seems like the game would let you know.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
haha ive got like what 5 restarts and 2 current games going and i JUST fucking realized that you could use the wapoint button on the side of your map to insta teleport to any waypoint.....i thought you had to run to a way point to use the system. HAHAH fuck me