Divinity: Original Sin 2

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
Been playing this co-op with two friends, having an awesome time with it. Gripes are largely minor and have been stated, though I will emphasize that I think they went a little too overboard with the ground effects and the interaction between fields and spells. Have had to reload more than a few times when that patch of steamy-bloody-necrofire-fuck also has a tiny patch of electricity you couldn't mouse over/see. Path over it, instant stun, end of encounter.

The 'hire your own merc' thing is extremely useful if you're trying to shuffle out the story characters and have your own party, though a bit unwieldy in execution. Kind of wish it was more like Pillars where you could just hire a custom character out of the box.

Got the first real 'dungeon crawl' experience clearing out Mordus' place last night. Good stuff.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Been playing this co-op with two friends, having an awesome time with it. Gripes are largely minor and have been stated, though I will emphasize that I think they went a little too overboard with the ground effects and the interaction between fields and spells. Have had to reload more than a few times when that patch of steamy-bloody-necrofire-fuck also has a tiny patch of electricity you couldn't mouse over/see. Path over it, instant stun, end of encounter.

The 'hire your own merc' thing is extremely useful if you're trying to shuffle out the story characters and have your own party, though a bit unwieldy in execution. Kind of wish it was more like Pillars where you could just hire a custom character out of the box.

Got the first real 'dungeon crawl' experience clearing out Mordus' place last night. Good stuff.

I would say biggest gripe is how utterly confusing the quest journal is. It's honestly hard to track anything in it and it's just a a total fucking mess. Especially when 4 of you are running around doing shit.

The UI is vastly improved to me though and its nice to see what is in everyone's bags at any given time so you can trade or whatever with eachother easily. Not even distance limitations on it. I don't know why you gripe about NPC talking in COOP Palum Palum you don't even have to listen to people talking in conversations you are not leading unless you want to. This was not the case in the first game though which is probably what you're referring to. Whoever starts the dialog controls the entire conversation you can fuck off and do whatever or listen to it just to get the story.

The story in this series was always doofy though. But that's not the strength of the game so fine by me.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I would say biggest gripe is how utterly confusing the quest journal is. It's honestly hard to track anything in it and it's just a a total fucking mess. Especially when 4 of you are running around doing shit.

The UI is vastly improved to me though and its nice to see what is in everyone's bags at any given time so you can trade or whatever with eachother easily. Not even distance limitations on it. I don't know why you gripe about NPC talking in COOP Palum Palum you don't even have to listen to people talking in conversations you are not leading unless you want to. This was not the case in the first game though which is probably what you're referring to. Whoever starts the dialog controls the entire conversation you can fuck off and do whatever or listen to it just to get the story.

The story in this series was always doofy though. But that's not the strength of the game so fine by me.

I feel the journal is intentional as OS1 was same way and i honestly dont feel i look at it that much - but they wanted it to be the kinda of experience where you have to try to follow the story as it branches out - I just finished the Doctor fight which was fun - but since my team is ridic OP it was a cake walk - my Red Lizard Prince has 17k hp and just doesnt care. I have like 200k gold and everything you can buy since when you work at it you can steal goal constantly if you steal and TP out of sight. 1 toon is maxed on persuasion, 1 on thievery, 1 on bartering and it just makes everything so easy.

Gf says she liked 1 a bit better but i much prefer OS2.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The journal being that way works okay for the main storyline, but it fucking sucks for sidequests.

I'm not going to remember what insignificant problem I was dealing with for side character 342 and where I was supposed to go look for whatever the fuck at.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well if this was a TRUE Scotsman RPG, then the important info you got from the NPC should be IN the journal as it's implied you are, you know, literally writing shit down in a journal.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I never really looked at the journal anyway except when I was on quests where I had no idea of what to do. I guess it didn't really tell me much, because I left several things unfinished in my SP game (the Seekers, Gratiana's quest, the teleport guy, etc). About the only thing I did accomplish was Slane's quest.

When I go through it again, because I'm already at that point of planning my next play through, I'll look at it more closely. This game is the shit, the fucking bees knees. This game truthfully is what it feels like to have a table top RPG group.

If Larian was smart, they could pump out campaigns to this all day long, charge 9.99 for them and I would be one very happy camper.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
i THINK the journal is intentionally the way it is due to the freedom to solve quests. i mean, take the locked up elf in griff's camp. you CAN talk to griff, go find the real thief, turn him in to griff and free the elf. OR you can find and kill the thief yourself, then find out it's not oranges he's really after, then not turn the drugs in to griff, etc, OR you can just kill griff and get his key without even having talked to the elf. if the journal tried to lead you to somewhere it would directly effect how we solve quests in ways that we might not otherwise.

• 2Like

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I like.to do everything and some quests are not clear. I didn't even know there was more to Griffs quest. But it is a minor gripe. Items are annoying because you replace all the time. I prefer Baldur gate items way more.

But! The fighting is top notch. Alexander encounter was great. That wurm was a big wtf and I thought I was done. But you can do a lot in fights to turn the tide.

Also party building is great. I feel like I can do so many different things with build. I went with a Lot of movement skills. Everyone has several skills to reposition and fights are a lot of fun this way. I don't even have a real mage for ranged damage. But so far it is working great. I never finished the first one, because the story bored me to tears and item mudflation and inventory were too much. Hope it's not the same here. Also no stealing. Fuck having everything.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I like.to do everything and some quests are not clear. I didn't even know there was more to Griffs quest. But it is a minor gripe. Items are annoying because you replace all the time. I prefer Baldur gate items way more.
Yeah, color me surprised that I just found out there was a drug trade involved in it. What the fuck?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I am starting to get burn out, but am close to finishing so I guess it's good I was so thorough in my main play. My coop game with the gf is probably going to die unless we go explorer and can just blast through most of it since she doesn't care that much about side quests.

Still in my top 3 non mmo games of all time though.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
yeah quest journal sucks balls, I have like 20 open quests in A2 and half of them have 0 clue as to what to do.

• 1Solidarity

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, color me surprised that I just found out there was a drug trade involved in it. What the fuck?

You honestly wouldn't even know about the drug thing unless you specifically talked to the Stingtail lizard and accused him. If you had Sebille in your group she just kills him instantly.

Caliane

You honestly wouldn't even know about the drug thing unless you specifically talked to the Stingtail lizard and accused him. If you had Sebille in your group she just kills him instantly.
nah. its obvious. I had sebille, and let her murder stingtail.

the orange very clearly is labeled "oddly sized" or something, and the icon shows a hole in it. Just need to look at it, and open it.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
nah. its obvious. I had sebille, and let her murder stingtail.

the orange very clearly is labeled "oddly sized" or something, and the icon shows a hole in it. Just need to look at it, and open it.

yeah, the icon of the orange, which is labeled like, griff's orange or something, CLEARLY has green leafs hanging out all haphazardly out of the middle of the orange. if you click on it, you can open it like a backpack and it's got drugs in it

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Oh... lol. What happens if you use the drugs?

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
See this shit is what I mean. You have half a page of discussion about one stupid fucking quest in the first 30 minutes of the game that you can solve in like 20 different ways. The whole fucking game is like this.

This is the game's appeal along with the complex interaction mechanics both in and out of combat.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So speaking of the humor in the game, I laughed that there's essentially a pizza party in the game.

The one guy asks you what "flavor" of stew you prefer (feminine, masculine, or surprise me). Was disappointed there wasn't a hairless stew option.