Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Lol killed it on the first round?! I clearly am not exploiting the brokenness enough.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Lol killed it on the first round?! I clearly am not exploiting the brokenness enough.
Yeah nothing crazy either, I just used one mage to debuff the boss, one mage to buff my rogue and summon to deal with adds, used my warrior to start killing adds cause I didn't expect to win that fast, then got my rogue behind the boss and just killed him pretty much right away. I even had like 6AP left(so 2 full attacks).

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I got to Hunter's Edge (the final city) about a week ago, but just kind of lost interest. The game's still great, made better with the enhanced version, but I've already done like 3 playthroughs previously. The story changes from the original are extremely minor, and my team had reached godhood from poor endgame scaling which is still a thing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The very end zone has a bunch of changes, but yeah when I got to phantom forest I had a hard time finishing, I was on the temple right before the end for like 2days without logging in.

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Played this a little bit for PC and loved it. Since I played it there's been tons of updates so everything is fresh, looking for some advice:

Playing on tactician, both characters I created have lone wolf, one a mage the other a dex/str hybrid.

I'm level 6 now and heading to fight the orcs on the beach. I struggled early on due to only having 2 pcs, once I levelled and added the spider to off tank all kinds of doors open.

Two questions, how important is constitution with having lone wolf, I assume huge? And question two, I'm duel wielding on My melee character, is that more or less dps than a 2hander?

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
From everything I have read 2 handers are completely superior to dual wielding, expecially since you get increased range. I have never went lone wolf, but I have read its not as viable as it was pre-enhanced edition. If you want dual wield, I believe maces is what you want to use....which just looks badass.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=607492091 is a good guide, That ranger is really good, but it takes awhile to get her going. I currently have a suspended playthrough just past the GIGANTIC spider on the second map. I will come back to it eventually. I get so bored with games now.

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Thinking about restarting this, I got distracted during my last playthrough and stopped what felt like 1/3 or so of the way into the game - is it worth dropping cash on the EE?

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
Yes, this game is one of the most fun Co open experiences I've had in awhile, and my solo playthrough is just as good if not better because I can only blame myself when I die.

Playing on tactician is a must.

I am level 7 on tactician and just finished black cove, some of these fights I've had to redo a few times due to my build.

I'm running a pure mage with 3 aero 2 hydro 2 earth 2 witchcraft, no points in weapons or defense. Got int to 16 right now with gear and stats, and put 1 or 2 points into constitution and feel like I should continue that route since I'm struggling. Lone wolf on both characters leaves me with just my 2 gentlemen and my spider summon. Benefit of lone wolf and high int is my cool down and most spells is nonexistant.

My other characters has 12 or 14 str, 9 speed, and I believe 8 or 9 dex. Gets right in the mix while my mage buffs him/debuffs/ccs. Dual wielding two 1handers and crushing people, everyone keeps saying 2h is superior but I don't know, I have 3 points in DW and it's already just a tornado of dps.

Can anyone break down to me how crafting works now in terms of spell books? What spells should I be going after? Any stick out now as must haves since the game is all patched now?

Dandai

Lesco Brandon
<Gold Donor>
Thinking about restarting this, I got distracted during my last playthrough and stopped what felt like 1/3 or so of the way into the game - is it worth dropping cash on the EE?
Everyone who already owned the original got the EE for free I believe? But yea, I would restart a fresh play through on EE. I started to do a 2nd play through when the EE released but I had a lot of other games to chew through and limited free time. I'm definitely going to fire it back up when I have time.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Is EE actually better? Reading through that guide it seems like a lot of the changes were questionable. Tactician mode seems nice, and there is a lot of new dialogue supposedly too.

Did they fix the massive gulf between melee and mages end game? My warrior was a waste of skin at the start of the game, but by the end was a solo beast that one shot everything.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
One of those games I really want to finish but I'm not sure I ever will. I finished the first act when it came out and then kinda lost interest. Started again with the EE, but I'm not really enjoying the trial and error approach to fights and there are far easier games to get into :-/

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Is EE actually better? Reading through that guide it seems like a lot of the changes were questionable. Tactician mode seems nice, and there is a lot of new dialogue supposedly too.

Did they fix the massive gulf between melee and mages end game? My warrior was a waste of skin at the start of the game, but by the end was a solo beast that one shot everything.
I started replaying EE in tactician when it came out. there definitively was huge changes made to balance, etc. that said, it was shortly before something else came out. fallout I think? so, I was sidelined by that. haha. I haven't gone back yet to finish the EE playthrough. So, can't really say how well balanced ended. That kind of game always has balance issues. its core to the design really. A game of systems. that is almost the REAL game, finding and exploiting fun/op setups and systems. And, from what I did see, EE and Tactician is the "right way to play" the game. all around massive improvements.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

It's been a while since I replayed the game and I forgot about most of it, but pretty sure it was the same. They did nerf endgame melees a lot, but they're still far ahead when buffed properly and mages are mostly relegated to utility with some decent aoe damage potential on the side. The utility is invaluable though, and especially with the buffs they provide to make melees better.

Iirc I was a bit disapointed with EE because Tactician only changed a few things, and it only mattered early game, but as you go through the game most of the additional stuff was the same and fairly pointless(like they add random trash and some non combat enemy that has an anti physical damage aura or whatever so you have to kill it first and most fights are like this with different rules on the auras). The ending is entirely redone though and is fairly different, and makes more sense/is better.

On 2H vs DW, iirc DW was viable, and better in some situations than 2H. 2H was better at using skills, because skills have a flat cost regardless, but DW was better on normal attacks, and eventually your normal attacks outscale most skills so you don't really use any of them besides flurry. That's for Warriors obviously, for Rogue DW was far superior. There's also the enchant situation where DW would get better enchants than 2H, which would even out the differences some more. Like 2H was still vastly superior in terms of "per hit" damage, but DW was better as sustained damage due to additional AP and lower AP costs. That said the difference is irrelevant for the most part, since damage scales so high that everything dies in 1 or 2 turns, even if you use 1H+shield, assuming you build your team around abusing all the modifiers properly and all that shit.

Also Grenades were OP as fuck if you bothered crafting them.

radditsu

It's been a while since I replayed the game and I forgot about most of it, but pretty sure it was the same. They did nerf endgame melees a lot, but they're still far ahead when buffed properly and mages are mostly relegated to utility with some decent aoe damage potential on the side. The utility is invaluable though, and especially with the buffs they provide to make melees better.

Iirc I was a bit disapointed with EE because Tactician only changed a few things, and it only mattered early game, but as you go through the game most of the additional stuff was the same and fairly pointless(like they add random trash and some non combat enemy that has an anti physical damage aura or whatever so you have to kill it first and most fights are like this with different rules on the auras). The ending is entirely redone though and is fairly different, and makes more sense/is better.

On 2H vs DW, iirc DW was viable, and better in some situations than 2H. 2H was better at using skills, because skills have a flat cost regardless, but DW was better on normal attacks, and eventually your normal attacks outscale most skills so you don't really use any of them besides flurry. That's for Warriors obviously, for Rogue DW was far superior. There's also the enchant situation where DW would get better enchants than 2H, which would even out the differences some more. Like 2H was still vastly superior in terms of "per hit" damage, but DW was better as sustained damage due to additional AP and lower AP costs. That said the difference is irrelevant for the most part, since damage scales so high that everything dies in 1 or 2 turns, even if you use 1H+shield, assuming you build your team around abusing all the modifiers properly and all that shit.

Also Grenades were OP as fuck if you bothered crafting them.

Thing is you have to put a few points into grenades and eventually they fall off usefulness endgame. if you dont put enough points into it and you have a bad throw and its game over.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I don't remember them falling off. But I wasn't talking about damage grenades either. There's heal grenades, CC grenades and iirc charm grenades, and all these are broken as fuck when used properly, and even if you miss a throw, you're simply adding a small disadvantage that you usually can counter anyway. The damage ones mimicked spells so they fell off in damage I guess, but endgame is so much easier than early game anyway imo if you build your team properly.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok so I just started playing this even though I have had it for a long time. I am level 3 - and inside the city. I am solving the murder at the moment. I have been told I need to go talk to Evelyn, who is north of the City. I have a quest for a cave investigation west of the city. Whenever I leave the city, I get immediately destroyed (And this is on the easiest difficulty). I am not sure what else I can do in the town. What level and how many party members should I have before heading out North or West? I defeated 3 Zombies when heading north, but was quickly attacked by a pack of 8 enemies shortly after and got smashed.

Caliane

Golden Baronet of the Realm
ha. honestly like 40% of the game occurs in that town. There is a ton of stuff to do, talk to everyone.
As for getting destroyed. this is a common mistake. Guards, and npcs will warn you, but its easy to misread, or overlook. Exit west, out of the west gate, (or secret exit.), but not to the western beach. the beach is like level 8, or so iirc. When leaving town its west, north, west-beach, east iirc. then on to new area. level 3 is fine for the actual western forest.

you can have a full 4 members by the time you leave town. starting two, and 4? npcs, to pick 2 from.

The game is very mechanically minded as well. I personally also went out the beach gate first, at level 3. But lived, due to heavy use of mechanics, and some quickloads. you can cheese stuff like you can't even imagine... using your imagination.

Last edited:

radditsu

Ok so I just started playing this even though I have had it for a long time. I am level 3 - and inside the city. I am solving the murder at the moment. I have been told I need to go talk to Evelyn, who is north of the City. I have a quest for a cave investigation west of the city. Whenever I leave the city, I get immediately destroyed (And this is on the easiest difficulty). I am not sure what else I can do in the town. What level and how many party members should I have before heading out North or West? I defeated 3 Zombies when heading north, but was quickly attacked by a pack of 8 enemies shortly after and got smashed.

Do every dick licking job in the city to get level 4. Also get the firefly spell. And go to the north gate and throw grenades/ firefly that entire Fucking bridge and let the zombies kill themselves with poison explosions. A grenade and someone with dual wield 2 and double wands are OP as fuck. Rangers become OP once you get a ton of arrows.