Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The wikis, especially the oldDivinity: Original Sin -DivinityWiki - Wikiaone which has the most info and not that much has changed.

I'd say if you don't want to fuck up your chars, and assuming you don't play on easy mode, the main thing is avoid hybrids(specialized chars is the way to go, so like warrior doing warrior stuff, not like warrior with some scoundrel and fire/air magic stuff) and mostly level your main stat(str for wars, int for mages, dex for rogue/archer)+speed up to 9 or 11. Constitution is unnecessary even on the tanks, perception can be nice to have a few points on archers or for detecting stuff but you can swap perception gear/buff perception when you enter trapped areas and stuff so not a big deal. Then focus on combat skills first, stuff like charisma, bartering, pickpocket and so on aren't really useful, a few are ok to have 1pt in and you do probably want one crafter on your team(that'll take both crafting and blacksmithing).

If you know what you're doing you can do stuff out of these advices but it's a good way to fuck up your chars if you do too much. Like you can use some novice spells on any class with minimal investment but it's situational and really doesn't add anything but flavor since pure classes are the most efficient.

On the classes, a mage is VERY useful and is vastly recommended in any party. Two is also good, because you cannot max all schools of magic on one but on 2 you can cover everything. Every mage should have 1pt in every school for basics, the heal and freeze in water, the spider and oil/boulder in earth, teleport and blit bolt in air, fire actually sucks at 1 so you kinda want 2 for the haste buff, preferably 2 also in witchcraft for oath, charm and destroy summon. Starting with 1pt water 1pt earth with spider+heal is particularily recommended for the early fights.

Every other class is fine to have, though you probably want to avoid stacking because of itemization issues. Like if you have 2rogues you need 4daggers which sucks and such. However one tank war and one 2H war would be fine. The companions you can get are an air/water mage, a 2H warrior, a rogue and an archer, if you want to plan around that. You can also hire henchmen which fills a bunch of different roles but don't have quests/stories and shit. The best ones at low levels are tank war and archer, most of the other archetype are built like retards.

The game isn't really that hard if you don't ruin your chars entirely and if you can play turn based stuff relatively inteligently. There's also a lot of freedom for inventive solutions to combat, as in, you can pretty much cheese everything in the game if you find it too hard by like building barrel forts, using invisibility to setup a bunch of explosives around the enemies before you engage and shit like that.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Your title is apt Pyros. Every single time I ask a question about a game you give these detailed, wide breadth answers. Must spread reputation and such.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Online or split screen.

The PS4 version is really good, btw. Aside from inventory management, which is a fucking nightmare, the gamepad controls are very well done. So much so that if I play it again on PC there's no way I could go back to kb/m.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
That said you can still proc Bully with Slow and Crippled, they removed those from the description but I checked and they still work fine.
Hm slow/cripple is still on my descriptor. My setup is Ranger + 1H/S warrior + Madora + Jahan. I usually just Bull Rush the two warriors into battle knocking down shit in their way. I then use the single target knock down. Then I cripple shit. I then have Jahan freeze someone away from combat (usually an archer or mage) and then slow someone while my Ranger just starts proccing bully after I spend all her AOE skills on the first two rounds.

Tenks

I have to say I think this game may be my favorite CRPG ever made

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There's something so deeply satisfyingly tactical about mixing the elements and reacting to the changing battlefield. Even though most of my fights are fundamentally the same (use same skills, cc as much as possible, etc), it's stillfunevery time. Like I don't avoid fights or get upset if there's a surprise encounter.

What do you love about it?

Tenks

There's something so deeply satisfyingly tactical about mixing the elements and reacting to the changing battlefield. Even though most of my fights are fundamentally the same (use same skills, cc as much as possible, etc), it's stillfunevery time. Like I don't avoid fights or get upset if there's a surprise encounter.

Pickpocketing, sneaking, stealing. For whatever reason I love any game that does this well. Elder Scrolls fucking sucks at it and it pisses me off.

The battlefield landscape and figuring out how to exploit it. Like yesterday I was fighting the undead pirate boss. I was having some issues. Well I found out he paths around so I snuck Jahan into a bush and I fired off a fireball when he pathed over some explosive barrels. So he started the fight burning and with 1/4 his life gone.

The music, voice acting and sound is all top-tier. The story is so-so but workable.

I like the homestead. I wish I could customize it more but it gives a feeling of a bit of housing and unlocking the rooms is satisfying.

Cyseal can get a bit long and tedious but after that the environments shift fast enough that you're rarely getting tired fighting the same shit over and over again

Itemization is RNG and that makes it interesting (but can also make it very uninteresting if you save scum)

Vendors offer good gear which brings me back to point#1 where if you have a good gold supply you can keep your party very well equipped

As a more abstract point I can play this game for hours and it feels like minutes. Time flies when I'm playing this game.

Caliane

yeah, this is why I dont like seeing people ask for builds, etc. handing out the tactics to easy mode the game, removes all the fun of figuring out clever tactics with what you got on your own. there are tons of ways to make skills, and systems interact to win. no need to rely on some preset strat/combo.

Tenks

yeah, this is why I dont like seeing people ask for builds, etc. handing out the tactics to easy mode the game, removes all the fun of figuring out clever tactics with what you got on your own. there are tons of ways to make skills, and systems interact to win. no need to rely on some preset strat/combo.
IMO the default difficulty is almost perfect. If you don't intentionally min/max the difficulty is still there for boss battles (and some trash fights) but it is still fun figuring out all the ways to exploit the given circumstances.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
About that undead pirate boss in Black Cove...

Maybe this is a tactician difficulty only thing, because I don't remember it from my original play through, but that ballista on the ship is totally activatable by players. I entered combat with just my rogue (to bring out the whole skelly crew) and fled combat. Then I used the pyramids to get back to the main group that was just outside the door. I entered combat with just the rogue again and invis'd on the first turn. Then I went to the ballista and activated it once or twice per turn. Because I was invis the skeletons and boss just kept passing. When activated, the ballista selects a random target then assaults them with a random element... one shotting whatever sorry sap it chooses lol. It was glorious. Probably the easiest boss fight in the game, but one of the most fun just because it's completely unexpected.

Tenks

About that undead pirate boss in Black Cove...

Maybe this is a tactician difficulty only thing, because I don't remember it from my original play through, but that ballista on the ship is totally activatable by players. I entered combat with just my rogue (to bring out the whole skelly crew) and fled combat. Then I used the pyramids to get back to the main group that was just outside the door. I entered combat with just the rogue again and invis'd on the first turn. Then I went to the ballista and activated it once or twice per turn. It selects a random target then assaults them with a random element... one shotting it lol. It was glorious. Easiest boss fight in the game (probably), but one of the most fun just because it's completely unexpected.
I figured that out after the fight. When I clicked on it and it nuked my entire party to death.

Vorph

Did you go get Nick first? He tells you that's how to beat that fight.

Tenks

Did you go get Nick first? He tells you that's how to beat that fight.
I tend to play this game on retard mode and just brute force things. Like I'm sure there is an easier way to fight the big ass robot as well (someone mentioned a controller?) but I just put people on the three switches to depower his electric charge every round while it was mostly the friendly NPCs that cleared up most stuff.

Vorph

Yeah, if you join the Fab 5 and then talk to Arhu he gives you a controller that lets you disable the charge for 4 AP instead of having to hit three separate levers.

Not sure how you got the retard NPCs to clear up anything though; when I did it he one shot them all with melee even just on Classic difficulty.

Tenks

If you disable his charge that seems to skip his round so the big robot wasn't really doing anything and the mages were constantly charging him for damage so I really just ignored him. Though 2/3 of the NPCs did end up dying.

Vorph

Ah, maybe I should have left the mage on the left alive. I killed both mages and the archer almost immediately, which let the robot do whatever it wanted to.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
On tactician difficulty it still attacked without a charge. I had to keep a tank up there to keep the NPC's from getting gibbed.

Re: Nick. I've had his head but never found his body.

Tenks

On tactician difficulty it still attacked without a charge. I had to keep a tank up there to keep the NPC's from getting gibbed.

Re: Nick. I've had his head but never found his body.
His body is down the stairs from the pirate hideout in black cove, yeah?