DIY Home Security

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any experience with this? I currently live in an apartment so I cannot do a monthly paid setup. I've bought a cheapo security network from Lowe's, but it just seems lackluster in features I want and overabundant in silly features.

I'd like all the doors to make a noise when opening (easy, just looking for a good product), a motion light in one or two of my walk ways, and the hardest one is possibly a motion sensor/door sensor IN my car that would text/notify me via phone. My car is relatively close to my apartment so distance should not be an issue.

If it was all connected via my network or phone that is a plus, but not needed. I cannot drill on the outside of my apartment, so the motion lights have to be setup in a different way. I've already done the door sensors one time with the Lowe's setup, but I'm going to be returning that shortly.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
For the lights, you want something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Beams-Battery-...ights+stick+on

Plenty of the "stick on" varieties. If you want a security system that texts you, you either need to go professional (even Time Warner does it now), or know someone really smart because it's hard to fine tune. TWC lets me monitor my entire house/garage/AC-Heat/tv schedule/etc... through my IPad

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Yeah those are pretty good. I like the ceiling ones they showed also for my doorways. Gonna pick up a few of the doorway alarms just to have them, especially with kids its always helpful.

I was tempted into looking into a fake camera to point where my two cars are, but maybe I should just look into a car alarm.

One tip I can give you is to not waste any money on your door knob lock. Just buy a dead bolt. A bump key can get past almost any lock that can be purchased for say under $200.

1tof1nM.gif

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I probably won't be touching any deadbolts or door knob stuff since I'm in an apartment and the area I live in is fairly nice. I'm just trying to 'scare' the intruder away with noises, lights, and possibly fake cameras.

Though when I buy a house next year I'll take that advice. Thanks.

Gnomedolf

<Silver Donator>
I use Lifeshield. They have lots of features and you don't have to run wires to all the doors and windows. The sensors are all wireless.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
One tip I can give you is to not waste any money on your door knob lock. Just buy a dead bolt. A bump key can get past almost any lock that can be purchased for say under $200.

1tof1nM.gif
He's already mentioned the apartment angle, but for anyone concerned about this, all you have to do is make sure the cylinder you purchase has side-milling. Most every manufacturer now has that option, some specifically touted as "bump-proof", that will fit in almost all of their better quality locks. You're probably right about the $200 thing, but if you're really that concerned, spend $300 and get the better lock that accepts the better cylinder. Most sub-$200 locks are pieces of shit anyway, with a few notable exceptions. Just go to a commercial door and hardware supplier instead of a residential supplier and tell them what you're looking for. You'll spend a few more bucks, but if you're really that worried about it, it is worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Not sure if you're saying to buy a deadbolt because it is bump proof (it isn't), or because it costs a lot less than a lockset. It is a lot cheaper, so often the best route is a commercial deadbolt with a better cylinder for say $100-$150, and whatever lock/handle you want below it to actually look nice.

Here's an example of side-milling, which makes bumping (and most conventional picking even) virtually impossible. Without professional lockpicking tools, it is easier to smash the thing off with a sledgehammer than pick it.

Sardaan

Trakanon Raider
This sounds like what you want. It moves with you and you get to decide if you want to pay for monitoring. My only complaint is that the top tier plan is required to use the cell phone functionality. The pieces are hung on the wall using 3M command strips.

http://simplisafe.com/

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I probably won't be touching any deadbolts or door knob stuff since I'm in an apartment and the area I live in is fairly nice. I'm just trying to 'scare' the intruder away with noises, lights, and possibly fake cameras.

Honestly, in an apartment, I imagine a few stickers thatsaythere's a security system would do most of the job. I mean, it's not like anyone will be specifically targeting YOU. So fuck it, move to your neighbor without the scary sticker.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Honestly, in an apartment, I imagine a few stickers thatsaythere's a security system would do most of the job. I mean, it's not like anyone will be specifically targeting YOU. So fuck it, move to your neighbor without the scary sticker.

as a gun owner i think these signs are funny, but not a great idea - example:

"Nothing in this home is worth dying for"

If i'm a burglar and I see this sign and I don't think you're home - i'm breaking in to steal what i assume will be firearms.

Zombie Thorne_sl

shitlord
My father in law has 1,000 yards marked off and numbered in 50 yard increments on the driveway leading up to their place. Never had an issue... Lol.

As for an apartment, as said above I would guess any basic motion light would be more than enough.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
My father in law has 1,000 yards marked off and numbered in 50 yard increments on the driveway leading up to their place. Never had an issue... Lol.

As for an apartment, as said above I would guess any basic motion light would be more than enough.
Also it's a bitch to rob a place that has a driveway that's over half a mile long.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I wouldn't buy the fancy locks personally. Nobody picks locks to burgle houses when it's easier to just kick the door in or break a window. Even if they do use bump keys (which are harder to use than you think BTW, I have a set and have never been able to get them to work) anyone that will go to the effort to do that is probably also willing to break in and all your doing is getting yourself more expense from the broken window/door in addition to whatever gets stolen.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
If it were me, I'd buy a nice bump-proof deadbolt if I had the option. Living in an apartment, I don't, but if I had a home I would. I work at a company that sells commercial door hardware, and a guy I used to work with could bump a lock in 5-10 seconds max. I can't do it, but he could, so there is obviously a talent to it.

However, I do agree with BrutulTM that if you've got some nice big windows nearby the quality of your lock doesn't mean jack or shit. Kicking a door in is a lot harder than it looks, particularly a front door with a deadbolt, but having any kind of glass pane big enough to stick your arm through next to the door pretty much invalidates the effectiveness of any lock (not to mention one big enough to crawl through anywhere that neighbors won't notice). We sell glass that isn't going to break too, of course, but the cost of that for any decent sized window is enough for you to just pay the deductible on your homeowner's insurance instead. Or buy a nice shotgun for home defense.

Audible alarms (screamers) are a decent alternative, as they are just two magnetic contacts and a horn, and even if you are ready for one to go off (we test them on occasion), it is loud enough to make you almost shit your pants. Add some flashing lights or some shit and that's probably all you'd need in an apartment. Plenty of battery operated alternatives around.

Kinner

Clear eyes. Full Hearts. Can't lose.
Simple solution - 2 German Shepherds. Burglars love German Shepherds.

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
I was working on a house the other day, changing some tiles, and the dog next door had such a deep bark. Eventually had to go to that side of the house, and saw it was a big German Shepherd, and it just stood with it's head in the fence barking at me. Let's just say I didn't get close enough to try and pet it.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I just found out the 6 year old neighbor kid has been playing GTA V and I know his dad has several guns in the house, so we'll either be very safe or all dead.