Do we want a separate MOBA/TCG Forum?

khorum

Murder Apologist
Keeping the forum eclectic is a benefit that outweighs whatever bookkeeping gain you'd get out of segregating the topics.

I couldn't give a shit about competitive Mobas or fighting games or ccg's but I'll admit to reading up on a popular thread when circumstances bump it up during a sale or a tournament. Likewise I know a few folks who wouldn't care about xcom or strategy gaming have admitted they gave it a try after wandering into certain discussions.

Honestly I wouldn't complain against be merging a lot of the gaming threads together.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
From what I understand, Sean wasn't banned (though he did have his moderator privileges stripped). After that he left of his own free will. So I doubt he'll be back. Sean was a great, quality, poster but was terrible as a mod. He really did bring a lot to the forum but he also really overstepped his bounds.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just simply putting everything under a specific drop down menu similar, frame, under the main thread would solve a lot of problems. You click on the down arrow next to EverQuest Next and it displays the frame below it, allowing certain threads to be created that wouldnt normally be created on their own. (A thread for a specific class for example). The frame displays the most popular threads connected to EverQuest Next, plus EQ Next itself is a thread. If you want to get rid of the frame, you can hide it via the same arrow. If you want to see all the sub threads for EQ Next, you can click View Forum. It keeps the user on the same page and makes important information quickly accessible. The forum used to have useful information, but it would quickly be buried. I think if the forum was displayed this way, that the forum could once again become a source of useful information and strategies.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Keeping the forum eclectic is a benefit that outweighs whatever bookkeeping gain you'd get out of segregating the topics.

I couldn't give a shit about competitive Mobas or fighting games or ccg's but I'll admit to reading up on a popular thread when circumstances bump it up during a sale or a tournament. Likewise I know a few folks who wouldn't care about xcom or strategy gaming have admitted they gave it a try after wandering into certain discussions.

Honestly I wouldn't complain against be merging a lot of the gaming threads together.
What?

As for Sean, he just got embarrassed and bailed. Or self righteous and bailed. Either way no one made him leave. And certainly no one made him go through his posts and delete them to teach the forum a lesson about how much it would miss him.

As much as I'd like to say he'd be welcomed back with open arms it would depend on him being able to take the retarded abuse that would come his way at this point. Which...I mean...it would just lead to giant stupid derails constantly I think. To the point he'd probably be better off just picking a new name, which I'd frankly encourage for his situation.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Just simply putting everything under a specific drop down menu similar, frame, under the main thread would solve a lot of problems. You click on the down arrow next to EverQuest Next and it displays the frame below it, allowing certain threads to be created that wouldnt normally be created on their own. (A thread for a specific class for example). The frame displays the most popular threads connected to EverQuest Next, plus EQ Next itself is a thread. If you want to get rid of the frame, you can hide it via the same arrow. If you want to see all the sub threads for EQ Next, you can click View Forum. It keeps the user on the same page and makes important information quickly accessible. The forum used to have useful information, but it would quickly be buried. I think if the forum was displayed this way, that the forum could once again become a source of useful information and strategies.
I think what you are talking about means recoding the very forum software itself.

Not exactly something our admin and "part time moderator / owner" are capable of.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well if it was really popular, I wouldnt mind matching donations for it to be done. Granted the person that creates it is reliable, experienced and not obscenely expensive. Ive been with the original forum and this one, ever since I was in the guild. It is the least I could do.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I'm behind branching off some of the topics, Other Games seems to be one of the most popular forums other then general and SS. There are only a few threads I read in there, and if they aren't one of the big ones, they get bumped off the front page pretty quick. I.e. MTG thread when there isn't spoilers or some big event.

I'd also like to see a semi active minis thread, but I think the lower traffic those threads get push them off the front page too quickly in that forum. Either taking out a couple of the big threads due to making this forum, or lumping those games into the new, would both work.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Or threads that people actually post in can stay where they are based on activity, you know like a forum?

The juggernaut that is the Puzzle & Dragons thread is finally losing steam. It's falling off the front page a couple times a week and only getting a few posts. Even the mighty fall eventually.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
The strength these forums has always been the Mega Threads... A single place for to have super-long conversations. It's been very easy to hop into a mega thread wherever I've left off before and read until I'm caught up. Having multiple threads is going to be terrible.

If I want Syndra builds I'm not going to come to rerolled at all. There are a slew of better sites out there with much more information. You can create a subforum, sure, but I'm not sure it's necessary. You can easily move the mega discussions over and those topics will continue to flourish, but all of the miscellaneous discussions will likely be lost OR the mega threads will start hurting due to people choosing to create random threads rather than just posting in the mega thread.

My prediction would be that eventually people will realize their random discussions aren't being seen unless they post in the mega-threads and the random discussions will cease being created.

In the end, the decision is if you want the mega threads in their own sub-forum? It really doesn't matter to me. Sometimes I get annoyed when I see that the LoL thread is on the 2nd page, but that's all you'll solve.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The strength these forums has always been the Mega Threads... A single place for to have super-long conversations. It's been very easy to hop into a mega thread wherever I've left off before and read until I'm caught up. Having multiple threads is going to be terrible.

If I want Syndra builds I'm not going to come to rerolled at all. There are a slew of better sites out there with much more information. You can create a subforum, sure, but I'm not sure it's necessary. You can easily move the mega discussions over and those topics will continue to flourish, but all of the miscellaneous discussions will likely be lost OR the mega threads will start hurting due to people choosing to create random threads rather than just posting in the mega thread.

My prediction would be that eventually people will realize their random discussions aren't being seen unless they post in the mega-threads and the random discussions will cease being created.

In the end, the decision is if you want the mega threads in their own sub-forum? It really doesn't matter to me. Sometimes I get annoyed when I see that the LoL thread is on the 2nd page, but that's all you'll solve.
Pretty much, I tried to create 2 threads on Starcraft when it was in its heyday and only one of them ever really got used anyway. It's also much easier to ask questions without having to make a whole new thread. I think the votes have been rather convincing so far

Antarius

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty much, I tried to create 2 threads on Starcraft when it was in its heyday and only one of them ever really got used anyway. It's also much easier to ask questions without having to make a whole new thread. I think the votes have been rather convincing so far
Right, SC2 had good discussion, a thread for each race worked out well, because the strategy discussion was so much different.

I voted no but...

If anything I'd like to see mobile gaming get it's own subforum, before moba/tcg/ I think segregating those types of games is relevant, since the platform is different. Or maybe just make mobile devices forum in general, which could take the smartphone thread out of tech too. And give more viewing time to smaller/independant apps, people would still visit for megathreads like Puzzle and Dragons, and smartphone general thread, so I think it'd still get more use than say, the book forum.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
While I think moba/tcg/real life games (minis/rpgs/etc.) should get it's own forum, I think some of the more dead forums should get combined at the same time. We have like 5 super active forums, and a bunch of barely active ones. Other games gets more posts/threads then any other forum. Branching off a little of that just makes sense. None of the super threads will die off, like some are afraid of. It'll just give some of the smaller threads a little more time on the front page before they fade into oblivion.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Which would accomplish what? You mention there's only a few active forums then suggest breaking one of them up which would make it less active.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
If you combine the less active forums at the same time, it would result in more overall discussion. Worthwhile threads get pushed off the front page within a day because they aren't one of the 8-10 super threads in there. If we follow the logic of the argument for keeping it together, then we'd just want to combine everything into one big forum for maximum activity. That obviously doesn't work, so it's a matter of whether Other Games is big enough to handle being broken up, and considering it's the most popular of any forum on here, then yes it can.

A few times previously, a forum has gotten a huge spike in activity (such as SC2) so it got broken off, but that was a bit of a knee jerk reaction to a new game's popularity. Other Games has consistently been the busiest forum for a long time. It's a bit too wide of a subject now that MMOs are no longer the main subject of the site.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Fv0ko.png