Do You Cheat in Video Games?

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I said yes in single player games because I did in the past when I was younger.

Most of the time I'll do the kind of stuff that Tuco talks about in his post. Nothing like god mode or anything.

I've never cheated in a multiplayer or MMO game.

Grizzlebeard_sl

shitlord
About the only time I "cheat" is when I read up optimal ways to play RPGs such as Final Fantasy. That said, I'll generally play it through once and then go back with hints and tips to fully experience the game.

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
It really depends on the circumstance for me.

For example: I hadn't touched SC2 since the first month it came out, so I went back through the WoL campaign the day before HotS came out. I didn't feel like doing some of the ultra long build-up missions so I popped out god mode and steamrolled it. But I had already beaten everything on brutal, it had just been a long time. So on that one I cheated to get a story refresher.

When I was a kid I would use game genie and shit for nintendo and super nintendo, but who didn't? It was the damn game genie!

MMO's or any other online game I don't cheat at, as I think it cheapens the game and frankly ruins it for the people who don't cheat. APB is a great example here.

I can't really think of any other time I've cheated in the past 10 years though.

Dioblaire

And now my Watch has ended...
<Donor>
I only cheat in first player games when I either beat it, or get bored with it (pretty much every GTA).

Devlin

Golden Squire
I used to "cheat" in PSO on the Dreamcast, duping and creating special gear/weapons that you couldn't normally get within the game and just give them out to people randomly.

There was the option for PvP combat in that game which I could have abused but I just don't get where the fun/joy comes from in beating someone that can't possibly beat you, it's the same as ganking low lvl players in WoW, I think you need to have a certain amount of psychopathic tendencies to get off on it.

Needless

Toe Sucker
I did when i was younger, I'd use gameshark to give myself gold and shit, but i stopped that a long time ago.

example: I would play Champions of Norrath online, and use gameshark to give people a bunch of shit/gold

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I used MySEQ to check if targets were up or pull roaming mobs sometimes (hi2u Talendor).

Gorehack

Lord Nagafen Raider
I only cheat in first player games when I either beat it, or get bored with it (pretty much every GTA).
Ah yea, forgot about that. Beat GTA 4 and would then cheat to go on murderous rampages instead of stopping at the gun shop every time I died.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The only time I "cheat" is when I'm bored with a game and dgaf. Like with the BG/IWD line of games, once I've had my fill, why not break it? IWD2 was a good example - you could play through on normal mode, then play through a 2nd time with the same characters but with mob's stats cranked up so a goblin can one-hit you easily. After having just beat the game, having my same group wiped in the starting area made me look up all the strats for the "suggested" group builds (monks lol) and I decided to just edit characters rather than to go back and start a new group from scratch.

Just a quick shout out to anyone who's ever cheated in multiplayer FPS games
While I've seen more than my share of actual hacks, I'd still say that most of the people that get accused of hacking really aren't. When I first started DoD pre-Source I'd /rage and think people were hacking, but after playing for a long time I came to see how people could actually play on that level. I was told that if I ever wanted to dominate that I'd have to practice with the KAR for example, so I forced myself to practice a ton and got to where I could pull off some really nice shots (and get accused of hacking). And I played at a LAN store so I got to see people much better than I was actually play that way w/o hacks at all.

One of our FPS kids at the LAN store would run hacks at home to practice with then come up to the store and annihilate people. Like on the DUST maps, he used hacks to see where he could shoot people through walls legit and practiced using headphones to listen to footsteps and then he'd shoot them through certain wall areas. It was hilarious to see him get accused of hacking when he wasn't, though he'd used hacks to practice. I got really good at using headphones so I cold pop out of nowhere and cap people w/o warning, to the point my friends would /rage and accuse me of a "headphone kill" as if it wasn't legit or something. Ah, memories.

I remember one of our guys was really good at grenades in DoD, back when to "prime" them you had to throw them at the ground, pick them up, and then throw them. He'd do this at a full run out of some spawn areas and he'd throw them blind through certain windows, down alleys, and he'd even make some bank shots off walls and kill people almost every time. It was hilarious to see him throw a grenade, watch it arc through the air, then explode in someone's face at the exact moment they came around a corner. ("omg that's bullshit! fucking grenade hacks" hahaha). We also had a guy that ran with a sniper rifle and played hundreds or possibly thousands of matches w/o scoping even once. He'd clear out entire houses with that damned thing lol and use it like a rifle while bunny-hopping everywhere. I know for a fact that he never hacked but he even got banned from some servers for "hacking".

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The only time I "cheat" is when I'm bored with a game and dgaf. Like with the BG/IWD line of games, once I've had my fill, why not break it? IWD2 was a good example - you could play through on normal mode, then play through a 2nd time with the same characters but with mob's stats cranked up so a goblin can one-hit you easily. After having just beat the game, having my same group wiped in the starting area made me look up all the strats for the "suggested" group builds (monks lol) and I decided to just edit characters rather than to go back and start a new group from scratch.

While I've seen more than my share of actual hacks, I'd still say that most of the people that get accused of hacking really aren't. When I first started DoD pre-Source I'd /rage and think people were hacking, but after playing for a long time I came to see how people could actually play on that level. I was told that if I ever wanted to dominate that I'd have to practice with the KAR for example, so I forced myself to practice a ton and got to where I could pull off some really nice shots (and get accused of hacking). And I played at a LAN store so I got to see people much better than I was actually play that way w/o hacks at all.

One of our FPS kids at the LAN store would run hacks at home to practice with then come up to the store and annihilate people. Like on the DUST maps, he used hacks to see where he could shoot people through walls legit and practiced using headphones to listen to footsteps and then he'd shoot them through certain wall areas. It was hilarious to see him get accused of hacking when he wasn't, though he'd used hacks to practice. I got really good at using headphones so I cold pop out of nowhere and cap people w/o warning, to the point my friends would /rage and accuse me of a "headphone kill" as if it wasn't legit or something. Ah, memories.

I remember one of our guys was really good at grenades in DoD, back when to "prime" them you had to throw them at the ground, pick them up, and then throw them. He'd do this at a full run out of some spawn areas and he'd throw them blind through certain windows, down alleys, and he'd even make some bank shots off walls and kill people almost every time. It was hilarious to see him throw a grenade, watch it arc through the air, then explode in someone's face at the exact moment they came around a corner. ("omg that's bullshit! fucking grenade hacks" hahaha). We also had a guy that ran with a sniper rifle and played hundreds or possibly thousands of matches w/o scoping even once. He'd clear out entire houses with that damned thing lol and use it like a rifle while bunny-hopping everywhere. I know for a fact that he never hacked but he even got banned from some servers for "hacking".
Yeah, the stuff I saw people do in the old school FPS was nuts, they basically didn't go through the mental chain of: Look at place-see enemy-aim-shoot , just the last part, instantly. Like leaning in CoD 1, if you knew where the enemy is probably going to be after you fully lean out, you started playing the best game of peek-a-boo in your life. I fully recommend watching some pro matches in Q3, those people deserve respect.

Never cheated in multiplayer, rarely do in SP, though mods are fair game and if I feel like your game is lacking some vital features like respec or shared stash, I might look into ways to add it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Like others, I cheat in single player games once I get bored with them, or to bypass an annoying game mechanic that serves no practical purpose.

For instance, after playing Skyrim for a couple days I would double my carry capacity and I'd repeatedly replenish my arrows using cheat codes. Cut the annoyance factors of those mechanics down by a LOT. After I got bored with Diablo 3 a month after release, I just botted 24/7 to make back as much money as I could before I got banned. Eventually they nuked my account, but not before I made enough money to buy a video card from selling gold. Totally worth it, since I was never going to actually play the game again.

Dom_sl

shitlord
It depends on the game. I've used trainers, codes, save file editing etc... quite often. I play games for fun, not for the challenge, so I have no qualms about it. The games I've "cheated" in were usually games I spent an excessive amount of time playing, so it doesn't shorten the lifespan of the game for me. The trick is finding a comfortable level of cheating, setting limits for yourself, and eliminating the more annoying aspects of games.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My cousin used to hack the holy hell out of Everquest. I'm convinced he didn't actually enjoy the game back when we played, he just liked figuring out what he could hack/exploit in it. The best he ever pulled off was taking his level 1 Paladin into Sleepers Tomb(obviously not keyed) and looting leftover Primal weapons left on corpses behind a high level guild that was farming the place. He had a full aresenal of Primals on his level 1 Pally, lol. Pretty sure he couldn't equip them, but was funny regardless. Can't believe he never got caught and banned.

Troll_sl

shitlord
Depends on the game, but as a rule, and in the last several years, no. And only ever in SP games. Fuck people who cheat in MP.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Oh if we're talking about botting then I guess I cheated in D3 too.. for like 7 months straight. I just had my bot run for 12-18 hours a day gold-farming. I gave all the gold away to some random noob I found too.

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
The only game I remember cheating was Demon's Souls. I just could not for the fucking life of me kill Maneater and I really, really wanted to continue progress in the game, so I cheesed him by firing arrows through the door. I fucked my build at that point in the game but once I went through NG+ it was no real problem. But, in general, I don't cheat - mostly because I only play games for fun and relaxation and I find that cheating tends to ruin my own fun. Broadly speaking, I also don't use hints/tips/walkthroughs since I like to figure out stuff on my own. That was also the real problem with Demon's Souls. If you hadn't read one fucking word about how to play the game, farm, or create good characters, it was possible to really fuck yourself.

I wish I had cheated/botted D3 since I recognized the obvious exploits early on but was preserving my account because I thought I would be playing the game for eons (like I did with D2). Well, turns out - not so much
frown.png

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have fun with cheats (especially console commands), after a game stops being fun normally. Skyrim was fun when it first came out, but as a 2H orc that was specced for enchanting and smithing out of the gate was absurdly OP. When I beat the game I started a new character and played with a sneak/dagger based character. The difference being I started myself off with the novice/adept perks to avoid grinding up sneak in town for 2 hours. With mods I got to try crazy stuff like magic add-ons and just add them from the start.

The definition of 'cheating,' isn't very defined in this poll. Is modding game settings cheating? Console commands? Adding scripts?

I've never been a fan of trainers for the simple fact that I don't know where to get reliable ones. In Dark Souls the bottomless box glitch and dragon head stone glitches were god-sends for making new characters, and I totally made some OP toons just to troll PvP'ers. In a game like Dark Souls (that has lots of PvP trolling/hacking already), I don't feel dirty about it.

I always thought in games, if you find a way to abuse mechanics, take advantage until your heart's content. I'm too competitive with the game itself to not take advantage. Everyone has their own limits.

Needless

Toe Sucker
The only game I remember cheating was Demon's Souls. I just could not for the fucking life of me kill Maneater and I really, really wanted to continue progress in the game, so I cheesed him by firing arrows through the door. I fucked my build at that point in the game but once I went through NG+ it was no real problem. But, in general, I don't cheat - mostly because I only play games for fun and relaxation and I find that cheating tends to ruin my own fun. Broadly speaking, I also don't use hints/tips/walkthroughs since I like to figure out stuff on my own. That was also the real problem with Demon's Souls. If you hadn't read one fucking word about how to play the game, farm, or create good characters, it was possible to really fuck yourself.

I wish I had cheated/botted D3 since I recognized the obvious exploits early on but was preserving my account because I thought I would be playing the game for eons (like I did with D2). Well, turns out - not so much
frown.png
I don't find abusing game mechanics to be cheating :X Is that just me?
Be allowing the player to shoot arrows at a boss through a door unharmed is still something they left in the game, you're not loading a 3rd person program or anything to activate the ability to do it.

Cheesy/Cheap? Sure. Cheating, I don't think so anyway