Do You Cheat in Video Games?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Cool I feel better now DDoS'ing people via the skype exploit since I'm not using any 3rd party applications. Glad to know the people doing that aren't supreme dicklords.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Hey, if the client let you do that without altering it then yeah, fair game and they could have done the exact same back to you.

The whole "playing the game the way it was intended" is a load of crap and it's on the developer to not have shitty design, not on the player to not take advantage of their inability to program/design.
What about playing a classic NES game with a turbo controller vs a normal controller? Is that fair or is that one of the first speed hacks?

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
I used the dragon head exploit in dark souls to level one of my characters to like lvl 500.

I was just thinking the other day about how I can't remember playing a video game in a long time that had a "push up down left right blah blah blah at title screen" cheat.

Favorite cheat of all time. This game was such a fucking bear when I was a kid.
rrr_img_20672.png

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
If you can program a controller to aim for you then I'd be impressed.
That's all cheats are though, adding an extra button that can perform a function better than most humans can. Why is a button on a controller that imitates pressing a button faster than humanly possible ok, but a button that can aim for you not ok? That's all cheats are, sending commands to the game. So would you then set a limit saying a turbo button that operates faster than you personally can press it is cheating? So for some people a givin turbo button is not cheating, but for someone else it is? Whait about an aim bot? What if the aim bot actually performed worse than you can personally aim? Would using it still be cheating, but for the person it performs better than they are capable of is cheating?

Himeo

Vyemm Raider
I use cheats when I've already beaten the game and want to try new things or when the game design is overly tedious (TES leveling and stat mechanics) but the game has other features I enjoy despite the flaws. There is one multiplayer game, and only one, that I've used cheats and it wasn't for competitive advantage it was to level the playing field (pokemon first gen EV/IV bullshit).

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Exploiting is just taking advantage of bad design and absolutely fair game.
Hey they haven't made a law for necrophilia in most states yet, time to get fuckin' those corpses. It's not illegal, it's just an exploit.

"Bad design" on some of those laws. That's why ITENT is what matters. When your intent is to get ahead of your fellow players by exploiting? You're a fucking cheater and people who think otherwise are beyond fucking retarded.

edit: Seriously, all I can think of Sean is that you and SamdaMan share the same philosophy regarding rules.

Sean_sl

shitlord
That's all cheats are though, adding an extra button that can perform a function better than most humans can. Why is a button on a controller that imitates pressing a button faster than humanly possible ok, but a button that can aim for you not ok? That's all cheats are, sending commands to the game. So would you then set a limit saying a turbo button that operates faster than you personally can press it is cheating? So for some people a givin turbo button is not cheating, but for someone else it is? Whait about an aim bot? What if the aim bot actually performed worse than you can personally aim? Would using it still be cheating, but for the person it performs better than they are capable of is cheating?
Please, that shit is totally different from taking advantage of game design. Give it up, your devil's advocate crap is pretty awful.

There's absolutely no argument you can give that will sway me and I will never, ever give a fuck about someone else exploiting design and I will do it until the end of time because Ican. There's nothing wrong it and there never will be anything wrong with it.

People who get pissy about how other people play avideo gameare hilarious, be it cheating, hacking, exploiting, whatever. Theonlytime it matters in the least is in Competitive PVP and only if they're using hacks and they usually will get caught anyways. If you don't protect yourself from exploits that's purely your own fault.

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
I cheat at games that have IAP that I can exploit around. Other than that, I don't really see a point to cheating. Well, sometimes I will use a walkthrough if I am totally stuck and getting frustrated, but not like hack/cheat.

Also, should be a poll option for "I only cheat at multiplayer."

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I can see you playing a physical monopoly board game now. Hey the game didn't come with a huge bear trap contraption to prevent me from taking money from the bank when no one is looking. They should have designed it differently if they didn't want me using it to buy houses. It's bad game design so I'm fine taking whatever I want

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
I used to use MyShowEQ in PoP for seeing spawn triggers. Other than that, not really since I started buying my own games, cheating killed the fun a lot faster than just playing.

Sean_sl

shitlord
I can see you playing a physical monopoly board game now. Hey the game didn't come with a huge bear trap contraption to prevent me from taking money from the bank when no one is looking. They should have designed it differently if they didn't want me using it to buy houses. It's bad game design so I'm fine taking whatever I want
If I was ever dumb enough to let you skim monopoly money then man, that would definitely be my own damned fault and I would applaud your effort.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
What I think it comes down to is if it enhances your enjoyment without negatively impacting other people's enjoyment. For me, cheating at super mario would have made the game super boring, but for a young sibling it was the only way they could enjoy the game.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Hey they haven't made a law for necrophilia in most states yet, time to get fuckin' those corpses. It's not illegal, it's just an exploit.

"Bad design" on some of those laws. That's why ITENT is what matters. When your intent is to get ahead of your fellow players by exploiting? You're a fucking cheater and people who think otherwise are beyond fucking retarded.

edit: Seriously, all I can think of Sean is that you and SamdaMan share the same philosophy regarding rules.
This made me chuckle. In my head i compared having sex with dead people, equivalent to exploiting the arena for RZTW for AA gain.
Absolutely no difference there

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
I rarely cheat in single player games, whats the point? Recent exceptions: TES I hacked the shit out of my maximum carry weight, not a fan of time sinks in single player games. I also spawned a quest item when one of many quests bugged out.

Online games, except for ShowEQ back in the day no. I did love having a separate window for radar/chat. I could run full FULL screen and still not miss any chat, was neat back in the day! Plus it was fun to solo the hunter/forager named cycle in Trakanon's Teeth (back in Kunark days).

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Never cheat in any game, closest I've ever come to it was back when EQ was dead like OoW era, I came back to mess around with MQ just to see what all the fuss was about. Quit playing like a week or two later cause it was boring.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Cheaters in FPS are just bad players and are the scum of the earth. Exploiting like head glitching and shit may make you rage but the two are very separate.

I tried Happy Flag in 1998 in Tribes to see what everyone was talking about since we heard other competitive clans were using it and still feel bad about even testing it out. Haha and that wasn't anything compared to todays bullshit.

Thankfully LANS will always be the best way to compete.

Fyro

Golden Squire
A lot of you neanderthals seem confused.

Glitching / Exploiting / Abusing game mechanics / modding in Multiplayer games = cheating.

For fuck's sake call it what it is.

I am not some masochist, but I enjoy difficulty in my games, I play them always on the hardest difficulty because playing a game on Easy is practically god-mode anyways. I have not 'cheated' in a game since my Elementary days of SNES. Nor have I or will I abuse mechanics in MMOs either. Your delusional if you can't see how game mechanic abuse is cheating.