Doctor Who

Inque

FunEmployed
Last night episode not bad. Doctor is clearly comfortable with whomever is behind the door. Guessing it's Simms' version of The Master. Trying not to get too jaded, even the initial episodes with Clara weren't off putting either.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I think it's definitely some version of the Master, and I'm leaning towards Missy. She's been the more playful one, the piano playing fits her personality a little more, imo. He also talks to them the same way he does the Master.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
That was a good episode. Was expecting another Silence in the Library type episode, but this was a nice change. Also started to think the suit AI might become the Cyberman AI. So far Bill is still the highlight. Nardol is now annoying. Can't wait for next week!

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Episode was fine, until 'really' blind doctor... yea ok, whatever.
I just rolled my eyes at the end there. If that lasts, it's stupid, and if it doesn't then it was meaningless to throw in at the end. Don't show the healing being successful at first. It was just a forced dramatic cliffhanger.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Just finished Extremis and ok, I liked this episode. For no other reason then because it set up a bigger story, though the episode itself was kind of neat. It had some holes in it, like.. the surprise with the Doctor and the 'executioners', we all saw that coming because we already knew someone was alive inside the vault. Still, didn't mind.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Blah, right there at the end I thought, ok they're gonna use this shadow world to retcon the last episode and thus he's no longer blind, perfect opportunity. But no, that didn't happen. :p

Times like this always make me hopeful that this big baddie that's coming will be one of those vaguely mentioned things from past Who, like some of the things they fought against in the Time War. I'm sure it'll just end up being some new alien race, however.

Ganthorn

N00b
That could have been a neat way to get rid of a companion if she wasn't so new. Do a season or 2 with them then find out they never existed and it was all a simulation. Good mind fuck if they left it there.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Times like this always make me hopeful that this big baddie that's coming will be one of those vaguely mentioned things from past Who, like some of the things they fought against in the Time War. I'm sure it'll just end up being some new alien race, however.
If you are talking about like the 'nightmare child' and 'meanwhiles and neverweres led by the Could've been king'' that the Doctor would sometimes mention when talking about the horrors of the time war, they weren't alternate alien races taking part in the time war. They were weapons/events/experiments/things that got created by the Daleks and Timelords during the time war. When Matt Smith's doctor reboots the universe after the Pandorica, he says the remaining daleks are 'footprints of the never-were', which suggests some kind of parallel universe paradox crossing over into the time war. I mean, when both enemies can keep traveling back and forth in time, paradoxes get layered on top of paradoxes. Imagine if the daleks used time travel to setup an experiment group, sort of like that cult of skaro group, millions of years before the war, they evolve differently and more powerfully then normal daleks, with the sole intention of weaponizing themselves against time lords, and then you bring them back into the war when they are ready. That's basically what the 'Skaro Degradations' were, mutated daleks with some weird abilities. That one actually got described, but most of the others are left vague on purpose.

I'm thinking that this new alien villain is going to be related to the Mondasian Cybermen in some way. Their 'simulations' of earth are just too similar to a parallel earth for there to not be some kind of cross over.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Squeeeee!!!!

Spoilers for massive easter egg this week

Alpha Centauri bitches!!

Not only did they reference classic 3rd doctor Peladon stories, but they got the 92 year old actress to voice the character!

alphacentauri.jpg

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
sigh... Why would he do that?
Who you referring to?

Anyone else feel like the actress playing the empress (iraxa, i think?) sounded familiar? I was almost positive it was the same chick that played the spider lady during tennant's xmas episode with donna. Voice was very similar, but after a little imdb it doesnt seem to be.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sigh, I was excited for the return of John Simm, but after seeing the preview for next week I'm afraid that version of the Master may be nothing more than some lame virtual projection meant to just test Missy, rather than that actual version of the Master returned.

I did read somewhere they are bringing back Jacobi-Master too (Professor Yana) and they plan to do a 3 part episode of him in the Great Time War as the War Master counterpart to Hurt's War Doctor.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
They are doing the War Master as a Big Finish audio production.

I find interesting, and have considered myself, the various theories that link Missy and the 12th doctor's regeneration. Some say that the Doctor will renegerate into Missy or a Missy lookalike, others say that Missy will regenerate into the 1st Doctor, which explains how the Doctor knew how hard it was for Missy to 'turn good'.

I doubt it is anything like that, but it is fun to speculate.

Cybsled

My theory: Missy is rehabilitated. Doctor is happy to have his friend back. Then something attacks Missy and causes her to regenerate, which ends up undoing the rehab and bringing back the old Master more or less. Master figures the Doctor should do the same and does something that wounds the Doctor to make sure he regenerates as well.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
If yana was the form he took during the time war.. why wouldnt the doctor regonize him in utopia?

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I don't think the Yana Time-War stuff will have him actually meet the War Doctor, not from what I read. Sort of just a side adventure of "what the Master was doing during the war" sort of thing.

Also read they are making more Doctor Who audio stories with Tennant/Billie Piper too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I looked into those Big Finish things once, idea seemed intriguing but they were too expensive compared to my interest. Especially considering how many of them seem linked. The visuals are too big for me to be that into their stuff. Still, it's impressive they've got a bunch of stories with all the main characters and actors.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If yana was the form he took during the time war.. why wouldnt the doctor regonize him in utopia?
It wasn't, he was found as a baby. Unless that was the lie he told himself. In that case he could have just aged, I think you see a young John Hurt in a mirror when McGann regenerated.