Doctor Who

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I like the production values and meta plots of Moffat's run during the first few seasons with Smith.. Smith was when I started really watching the show, so I slightly prefer him to Tennant too, but it's close. However, I'd love to see what Davies could have done with the current budget/production values and Capaldi. I think he was overall better then Moffat, but Moffat's best moments were better imo.

velk

Trakanon Raider
I like the production values and meta plots of Moffat's run during the first few seasons with Smith.. Smith was when I started really watching the show, so I slightly prefer him to Tennant too, but it's close. However, I'd love to see what Davies could have done with the current budget/production values and Capaldi. I think he was overall better then Moffat, but Moffat's best moments were better imo.

I'm pretty sure it's the Peter principle at work - Moffat was a fantastic writer, but got promoted beyond his competence when he got showrunner as well.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm glad that you all love Nardole but for British people we were tired of his shit years ago. Guy plays the same character in everything and did it in a very high profile comedy show over 10 years ago before vanishing due to typecasting and reappearing here.

Doctor not seeing Missy die is a good observation, that arc had no satisfying conclusion. Seriously The Master was irrelevant to the plot. Really The Doctor should have been at least threatening revenge on him for Bill's "death".

WTF with the magic water lesbian, can't even remember what happened in that episode.

I'm gonna say it. I prefer Davies era over Moffat.
Doesn't everyone?

Production values are FAR lower now, unless they have activated uncanny valley.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
uhh.. the BUDGET might be lower now, but the production values are much higher now then during any episode of Davies era. Costumes, special effects and sets were all pretty cheesy. Modern day CGI is much cheaper, so you get more realistic looking shots. Go back and watch the ship crash into London during the first few episodes of Eccleston's run and tell me any random shot now looks half as bad.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It must be that time of year again, i'm starting to see a lot more "DOES THE NEW DOCTOR HAVE A VAGINA" articles popping up again.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
They have kept the new doctor's identity a secret pretty well so far. Feel like we knew about the last two by this point.
I would not mind if they chose a female, i just hope its someone along the lines of the missy actress. In terms of personality. She would have made a good doctor, imo. But, im pretty sure we are getting a younger, handsome doctor again. Heard rumors the bbc wants a new tennant style doctor.
Did anyone else notice/like the fact that the master regenerates into missy while being involved with cybermen, and then our first introduction to missy is her controlling them?
The timeline implications line up real well into the 'dark water' episodes. I thought that was somewhat clever.

Chris

Potato del Grande
uhh.. the BUDGET might be lower now, but the production values are much higher now then during any episode of Davies era. Costumes, special effects and sets were all pretty cheesy. Modern day CGI is much cheaper, so you get more realistic looking shots. Go back and watch the ship crash into London during the first few episodes of Eccleston's run and tell me any random shot now looks half as bad.
Maybe the design was better back then so you didn't mind the CGI. It may be shiny now but it looks like shit.

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Welll some of the things this season have been deliberate retro nods (Movellans, Mondassian Cybermen, Ice Warriors), but since the beginning special effects have never been what made the show worth a shit. Its the story telling and the banter, which suffered immensely this season, in particular. A good chunk of it was reminding us constantly that mushmouth's less attractive sister from Fat Albert was a clam diver, but another is just the shittier than normal monster of the week stories that are just brainless. They had something good with Missy and her delivery when trying to reform, but they fucked that all up by spending all their time soap boxing. Hell, they even have a commercial on BBC-America dick waving how awesome they are for all the gayness they are beating us over the head with. Its like they took everything that was wrong with the last Claire season and dialed it up to 11, plus cramming a 5 ton elephant of virtue signaling in the room for good measure.

RE: Nardo, he might be played over across the pond in bittanistan, but a relatable nerd friendly guy is something the American fans have been deprived of for a long time (Rory and Donna are the last two I can think of and Rory had issues because of Amy Pond cuntiness towards the end), instead of dipshit eye candy or diversity checkbox companions that have dominated the New Who era. I am fine with the eye candy if the character is well written/interesting and bringing something to the table the Doctor himself doesn't (I am a big fan of Leela and Nyssa as companions), but the girl models who are useless except as some low rent Jimmy Cricket (until getting god powers randomly at some point) is played out as fuck. Nardo represented a departure from that trope and do not think we will have someone like that for a long while (if ever again) as a regular.

Cybsled

They wait for Sunday. Game of Thrones restarts Sunday. This season people will die and actors will be freed up. Coincidence? ;)

Chris

Potato del Grande
I haven't seen her in anything but I just watched a few interviews with her on youtube and she seems good, for a start she is from Yorkshire (North accents in Game of Thrones) which makes her very unlikely to be an SJW. All the British SJWs you see are usually from the south of England or Scotland. I don't mind a female doctor so much but I would mind feminists being obnoxious about it.

She was also in the depressing crime thing Broadchurch with the new showrunner, so that means he has chosen her (no BBC interference) and she has agreed (he isn't a cunt like Moffat), which bodes well. Interesting that she costarred in Attack the Block with John Boyega... maybe I should watch that film it keeps coming up.

I say give her and the new show runner and chance and see how it turns out.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is the kind of character where I am fine with switching race gender whatever. Now let's see if they can be subtle about any points they want to make. A female Doctor would have some problems traveling back in time the same way a black doctor would. All up to the writers if it's good or not.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
lol well done

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
I dont care that shes a woman as far as the character goes. Actually, the potential is huge for it to be great, i just hope they pull it off. I also wonder if they will give her a single companion, and if itll be a guy now.

Cybsled

Wasn't David Tennant in Broadchurch? She's already had some Doctor coaching if that is the case ;p

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I dont care that shes a woman as far as the character goes. Actually, the potential is huge for it to be great, i just hope they pull it off. I also wonder if they will give her a single companion, and if itll be a guy now.
The new companion will be a lesbian.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
At this point if the new companion was a fluid pansexual tri-gender attack helicopter I wouldn't be surprised.