Doctor Who

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Just saw Alex Kingston today and she talked about running into Jodie saying things like "hey wife!" and pictures getting posted to BBC but then getting taken down.... Is BBC homophobic? I honestly don't give two fucks about Dr Who, though it has had its moments (Rory, "shall I repeat the question?" was one of the baddest things ever).

Doctor Who is a children's show. First and foremost. It may have elevated moments, but that's what it is. Expecting more than that? Uhh. OK. Anyone that takes this show seriously is a retard and missing the point of there being no point. The fan base is as insufferable as any other cult following. If you like it, cool, but this show isn't the most widespread appealing thing. Especially being British and all.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
now that they opened pandora's box on DW's gender, there is nothing to stop them from making the next Doctor a man who identifies as another gender, or a completely different race or species. eventually we will get an Amoeba Doctor.
Remember when it was a big deal that the doctor was Scottish, and not English?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Remember when it was a big deal that the doctor was Scottish, and not English?
i remember it being mentioned in the show, but i dont live in the UK so i likely missed the "buzz" about that. to a "yank" , all i saw was one pasty bloke who talks funny turning into another pasty bloke who talks funny. i can tell the difference between a scot, an irishmen, a brit and an aussie, but honestly Tennant's accent was mild enough as to not be distracting.

and i also should mention that the rebooted series is not what i would call a children's show. the original series was too silly to be anything but a kid's show. the reboot DW deals with many adult topics and thats fine, because of that it doesnt talk down to its audience. there are some exceptions such as the farting aliens and the spider queen. i guess i wouldnt mind so much that the doctor being female if it was done organically and played straight and not have an agenda behind it. this chick doctor is so clearly that and its ticking off so many virtue boxes in recent years that it completely killed the show for me.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Sesame Street has adult concepts, that doesn't discount from the fact that the show is a directed towards kids. Just because you feel it's enjoyable and accepted by adults, doesn't make it any less of what it is. A quirky, nonsensical montage of stupid shit, with no real congruity. The doctor wasn't supposed to be able to regenerate so many times, and then we got the 12th doctor. Then again and we've got a woman doctor. I literally don't give two fucks, and my echo chamber for political bullshit is barren when it comes to this show. You're just coming to realize that it was mostly stupid to begin with, unfortunately uncovering the fact that you're predisposed at seeing said SJW antics at play, while likely, aren't any different than something as simple as an accent change. It's a case where the static behind the thing is louder than the thing.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Sesame Street has adult concepts, that doesn't discount from the fact that the show is a directed towards kids. Just because you feel it's enjoyable and accepted by adults, doesn't make it any less of what it is. A quirky, nonsensical montage of stupid shit, with no real congruity. The doctor wasn't supposed to be able to regenerate so many times, and then we got the 12th doctor. Then again and we've got a woman doctor. I literally don't give two fucks, and my echo chamber for political bullshit is barren when it comes to this show. You're just coming to realize that it was mostly stupid to begin with, unfortunately uncovering the fact that you're predisposed at seeing said SJW antics at play, while likely, aren't any different than something as simple as an accent change. It's a case where the static behind the thing is louder than the thing.
no, you're completely wrong. the Doctor Who rebooted series is NOT aimed at kids. you want proof?
The Sarah Jane Adventures - Wikipedia

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
DXxgOj_W4AIfy5W.jpg:large

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
christ
Doctor Who series 11 will feature LGBTQ+ representation
The new Doctor Who team spoke to Digital Spy and other press in Cardiff last month. When asked how the time-travelling series would tackle LGBTQ+ issues and representation, executive producer Matt Strevens said:

"Since the show came back in 2005, I think Doctor Who has been amazing at blurring the edges of sexuality and being quite gender fluid about the characters and relationships."

Strevens went on to say that LGBTQ+ representation will continue in the new series, though it's not made an issue of "in any way". He also paid tribute to former Who showrunner Russell T Davies, while hinting that there will be LGBTQ+ representation within the main cast of series 11.

"I'm not going to say if any of our characters are or are not at this point. But it is part, I think, of the DNA that Russell re-imbued into the show...

"There will be characters from across the spectrum."
Female Dr Who was 'condition' of Chibnall taking job
Taking a brief break from filming on the 2018 Doctor Who Christmas Special, Chibnall told us about the casting of the first female Doctor:

"It felt like a straightforward decision, it's not that controversial. It's very hard to think of many examples in its 55-year history where the Doctor takes a decision based upon gender."

Matt Strevens added: "We knew in our gut it was about time and it felt like the right decision, and the character is not gender-specific, in any way really.

"If ever there was a character that was never defined by gender, it's the Doctor. The Doctor is gender fluid in that sense."

The previous actor to play the role, Peter Capaldi, relinquished his TARDIS duties in the 2017 Christmas Special after announcing his intention to leave earlier in the year.

Strevens revealed that Chris Chibnall took on the role of showrunner on the basis that the gender of the Doctor would be changed for the first time in the show's history. "Once Peter had decided he was leaving, the next Doctor was always going to be a female Doctor.

"That's what Chris wanted, that was part of his conditions of doing the job."

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
christ
The new Doctor Who team spoke to Digital Spy and other press in Cardiff last month. When asked how the time-travelling series would tackle LGBTQ+ issues and representation, executive producer Matt Strevens said:

"Since the show came back in 2005, I think Doctor Who has been amazing at blurring the edges of sexuality and being quite gender fluid about the characters and relationships."

Strevens went on to say that LGBTQ+ representation will continue in the new series, though it's not made an issue of "in any way". He also paid tribute to former Who showrunner Russell T Davies, while hinting that there will be LGBTQ+ representation within the main cast of series 11.

"I'm not going to say if any of our characters are or are not at this point. But it is part, I think, of the DNA that Russell re-imbued into the show...

I for one can't wait for the first ever gay companion in Doctor Who.

Q3-Jack-Sparrow.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I for one can't wait for the first ever gay companion in Doctor Who.

Q3-Jack-Sparrow.png
the more i look into this, the more i see this show has been completely derailed by fucking SJW assholes. its killed and there is nothing that can save it.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
christ

Female Dr Who was 'condition' of Chibnall taking job
Taking a brief break from filming on the 2018 Doctor Who Christmas Special, Chibnall told us about the casting of the first female Doctor:

"It felt like a straightforward decision, it's not that controversial. It's very hard to think of many examples in its 55-year history where the Doctor takes a decision based upon gender."

Matt Strevens added: "We knew in our gut it was about time and it felt like the right decision, and the character is not gender-specific, in any way really.

"If ever there was a character that was never defined by gender, it's the Doctor. The Doctor is gender fluid in that sense."

The previous actor to play the role, Peter Capaldi, relinquished his TARDIS duties in the 2017 Christmas Special after announcing his intention to leave earlier in the year.

Strevens revealed that Chris Chibnall took on the role of showrunner on the basis that the gender of the Doctor would be changed for the first time in the show's history. "Once Peter had decided he was leaving, the next Doctor was always going to be a female Doctor.

"That's what Chris wanted, that was part of his conditions of doing the job."

Last arc or whatever, Dr Who made it a point to talk about how Time Lords are so much more advanced then humans which is why 'gender doesn't matter to us'--they aren't hung up on it like humans.

But then they devoted nearly an entire episode to having the Dr from the 60's on, and having the modern Dr Who cringe at how he was being so sexist by using gender stereotypes, like women being fragile and how a woman should be cleaning up the place. So even though time lords have been beyond gender for millions of years, the Dr Who from 50 years ago was a misogynistic pig who oppressed women (Somehow...even though apparently now he's often a woman!)

That's why the show is done. The ideologies message is more important than internal consistency. The Dr is now just a mouth piece for a bunch of cultists to push their religion.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Doctor Who is full of so much retcon and tonal changes, what does it matter?

I get triggered by them calling the Dino people Sillurians still. Some dumbass in the 60s/70s who didn’t know geologic eras is to blame.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That feels as if they were like, "Ok Jodie, give us your best Peter Capaldi impression, with a hint of Christopher Eccleston mixed in."

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Doctor Who is full of so much retcon and tonal changes, what does it matter?

I get triggered by them calling the Dino people Sillurians still. Some dumbass in the 60s/70s who didn’t know geologic eras is to blame.

Different when the episodes aren't back to back man. We're not talking retcon between seasons, we're talking same character speaking in one episode about the subject then that season laughingly disproving it. I don't expect every season of writers to know each intimate detail (Though it makes me sad to say that given they are, you know, writing the show) but I expect them to be able to remain consistent through a season they literally have control over.

To be fair, this kind of shit annoyed me in Star Trek too. But its a whole different level of annoyance when I see it being done for plot contrivances (Star Trek), and ideological ones (Who)

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
New Doctor Who star Jodie Whittaker: "It's a mistake to think that the only heroes are white men"
“Stories shouldn’t always be told from the same perspective,” Whittaker added. It’s a mistake to think that the only heroes are white men. I’ve spent the last nine months hanging out with my Doctor Who family – Tosin [Cole], Bradley [Walsh] and Mandip [Gill] – and those are very different points of view. I get to see the world for a fleeting moment through their eyes. How lucky am I? It’s the representation of humanity that matters. That’s The Conversation.”

In the Radio Times interview, out on Tuesday, Whittaker also discusses how she was initially nervous about playing on “one of the most intelligent characters on TV” despite not being academically successful at school, and how she helped design the Doctor’s new outfit with costume designer Ray Holman.

• 1EyeRoll
  • 1Picard
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users