Doctor Who

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
After actor Noel Clarke was accused by over 20 women of engaging in repeated incidents of sexual harassment on set and off during his career—including his time playing Mickey Smith on Doctor Who—fellow co-star John Barrowman was also embroiled in accusations of inappropriate sexual behavior. Now, it seems like the BBC is starting to take some action against Barrowman’s recent resurgence in the series.

The Radio Times reports that scenes Barrowman recently filmed for Doctor Who: Time Fracture—an in-person “Immersive Experience” exhibition currently set to begin in the UK later this month, following the country lifting covid-19 lockdown restrictions—will no longer be included in the final experience. “Immersive Everywhere have taken the decision to remove this pre record from Doctor Who: Time Fracture,” a newly added comment in the FAQ for Time Fracture’s website reads, under the headline “What’s happening with Captain Jack Harkness and Torchwood in the show?” It continues, “We will continue to include content that pays tribute to this brilliant show that is Torchwood so as not to disappoint its fans, and are working on an exciting storyline to be announced soon.”

Recently, Barrowman was embroiled in the allegations surrounding Clarke’s history of sexual harassment accusations when a clip of both actors at a fan convention in 2014—appearing alongside actresses Camille Couduri and Annette Badland—went viral, which discussed Barrowman’s alleged frequent exposure of his genitals on the set of the show, framed as pranks. Following a report by the Guardian about allegations against Clarke specific to his time on Doctor Who, Barrowman released a brief statement to the paper about his own incidents, for which the actor was eventually reprimanded on-set for in 2008. The article reads: “Barrowman said his ‘high-spirited behaviour’ was ‘only ever intended in good humour to entertain colleagues on set and backstage,’ ‘With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously,’ he added. ‘Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed.’”

Speaking to The Guardian, Joanne Hayes — a costume assistant on the first season of the newly revived Doctor Who, which was shot in 2004 — claims that Clarke sexually harassed her in his trailer, referencing how he “liked girls with long hair, as it gave him something to hold on to when doing them from behind” (Hayes had very long hair at the time), something Clarke’s lawyers have denied and said did not take place.

Another unnamed woman — a runner and driver on Doctor Who around the same time — says that Clarke touched her inappropriately while she was driving him to and from set, telling The Guardian that the actor repeatedly asked her to go to his hotel room for sex. She added that she complained to an assistant director and was put on different duties. Clarke has strongly denied the allegations, while lawyers said Clarke wouldn’t be allowed to have behaved that way and that Clarke was not aware of any complaint made against him at any time.

A third woman and former runner alleges that Clarke sexually harassed her and another female co-worker at a hotel bar in the mid-2000s, and when they rejected his advances, he became “rude” and “aggressive,” later spreading false rumors about them on set. Clarke strongly denied the allegations, with lawyers saying he wouldn’t have had any reason to be in the hotel bar because he doesn’t drink.

The latest Guardian exposé also draws in John Barrowman, who played Jack Harness in both Doctor Who and its spinoff, Torchwood. Barrowman has been accused of “exposing himself repeatedly” on both sets, although the reports highlight how many witnesses described the incidents as “inappropriate pranks” rather than predatory behavior. The accusations back up a recently resurfaced video from a 2015 sci-fi convention in Chicago in which Clarke describes how his former co-star was “taking his dick out every five seconds” and would “slap” it on colleagues.

Julie Gardner, who was executive producer at the time, confirmed that she received a complaint and “reprimanded” Barrowman, but added that she was not aware of any misconduct by Clarke.

“I am saddened and shocked by the accusations raised,” she told The Guardian. “If I had known of them there would have been prompt action taken. I am grateful that people are coming forward to speak up and support them wholeheartedly.”

Russell T. Davies — the It’s a Sin and Years and Years creator who helped revive Doctor Who — added that he never witnessed Barrowman exposing himself or was aware of any complaints against Clarke. “I apologize wholeheartedly to any cast or crew who went through this,” he said. “All power to those coming forward now — we will listen to them, and learn.”

Barrowman, speaking to The Guardian, admitted to “tomfoolery” but said it was never intended or interpreted as sexual in nature.

In a statement sent to The Hollywood Reporter, a BBC spokesperson claimed the broadcaster was “against all forms of inappropriate behaviour” and “shocked” to hear of these latest allegations.

“To be absolutely clear, we will investigate any specific allegations made by individuals to the BBC — and if anyone has been subjected to or witnessed inappropriate behaviour of any kind we would encourage them to raise it with us directly,” read the statement. “We have a zero-tolerance approach and robust processes are in place — which are regularly reviewed and updated to reflect best practice — to ensure any complaints or concerns are handled with the utmost seriousness and care.”

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sadly Captain Jack might be the least gay thing about Dr Who in recent years.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
The damage has been done. They shit all over the history of the entire series with what they did.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Interesting that a 'feature length' special will air in autumn 2022 to serve as her final story and regeneration into Doctor 14. That will be under the purview of a totally new showrunner and so it looks like, similar to the 11th Doctor coming in off the 10 specials, it will be a stiff reboot going into 14.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
there is no going back from woke. when an IP goes woke. they never reverse anything after they fucked it all up. there is no hope here either. next doctor will be a gay black with a gender that fluctuates from episode to episode.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I like Jodie. She is way better than either capaldi or matt smith. Chinball was the one writing this shit though, right? Good riddance to him. Good thing is that since the Dr has never even followed his own canon, everything chinball inflicted on us can be written away later.

Jodie probably could have been as good as Tennent if she'd had the same quality showrunner.

• 1Seriously?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Allright nerds. Rank the doctors.

Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg

In case anyone forgot the names here they are from top to bottom, left to right.

#1 William Hartnell ; #2 Patrick Troughton ; #3 John Pertwee ; #4 Tom Baker ;
#5 Peter Davison ; #6 Colin Baker ; #7 Sylvester Mccoy ; #8 Paul McGan ;
#9 Christopher Eccleston ; #10 David Tennent ; #11 Matt Smith ; #12 Peter Capaldi ; #13 Jodie Whittaker

I just noticed that the War Doctor and the Valeyard were not in that picture. Add them into your rankings if you wish as #8.5 and #?? respectively.
For me it's #10, #13, #9, #4, #1, #7, #11, #3, #6, #8, #2, #5 (is that a face begging to be punched, or what?), #??, #8.5, #12.

And for the record, I haven't seen at least one episode with each doctor. I hate capaldi so much that I rank him below doctors I've never actually seen in action.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Tom Baker is the best of the classic era and David Tennant is the best of the rebooted series. Tennant had Donna and Rose and the whole Bad wolf subplot. and lets not forget Wilfred. Tennant could also be the most vicious.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Tom Baker is the best of the classic era and David Tennant is the best of the rebooted series. Tennant had Donna and Rose and the whole Bad wolf subplot. and lets not forget Wilfred. Tennant could also be the most vicious.
This is the correct answer.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Capaldi sadly did not have the same quality of arcs that Tennent and Smith did. He could have done more with it but never had the opportunity. A shame the show ended with him.

• 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The Smith/Amy/Rory run was some of the best, IMO

Amy and rory were among my favorite companions for sure. Martha was my #1 with amy and rory probably #2. Unless River counts as a companion. Amy is the only thing that made the smith run watchable. I remember people bitching about episodes centering on her too much and laughed. They didn't center on her too much enough for me.

Asmadai

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You lost all credibility when you said Jodie was better than both Capaldi AND Smith.

• 2Like
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
I would agree with the Smith story lines. I believe the first episode he regens from Tennant (Introducing the crack) is the best transition episode of the entire run. The magnitude of following David and creating his own voice must have been nerve-racking.

Tossing out the classic Doctors for now (AS they get muddled by childhood memories) I would actually make a case for Matt over David. (Due to the slightly better arcs, River Song storyline one of my favorites)

I was very excited for Peter Capaldi, but he was underused in my opinion. He would be my #3.

Not enough time for Eccleston to shine but I would say he was slightly better than Jodie.

Malkav

French Madman
I would agree with the Smith story lines. I believe the first episode he regens from Tennant (Introducing the crack) is the best transition episode of the entire run. The magnitude of following David and creating his own voice must have been nerve-racking.

Man I still love that scene.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

Tossing out the classic Doctors for now (AS they get muddled by childhood memories) I would actually make a case for Matt over David. (Due to the slightly better arcs, River Song storyline one of my favorites)

I was very excited for Peter Capaldi, but he was underused in my opinion. He would be my #3.

Not enough time for Eccleston to shine but I would say he was slightly better than Jodie.
Matt Smith's first season was incredible writing. the second was just ok. Tennant had solid writing through his entire run with memorable performances with 3 different companions. he was made for that role.
Tennant was so popular, his doctor spawned 2 succesdful spinoffs (Sarah Jane Chronicles, Torchwood) and an animated program. he's the only one to still have a decent acting career after Dr Who.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The crack storyline was very good. But that doesn't change that matt smith looks like a waterhead. There's no spark of intelligence in his eyes.

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Allright nerds. Rank the doctors.

Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg

In case anyone forgot the names here they are from top to bottom, left to right.

#1 William Hartnell ; #2 Patrick Troughton ; #3 John Pertwee ; #4 Tom Baker ;
#5 Peter Davison ; #6 Colin Baker ; #7 Sylvester Mccoy ; #8 Paul McGan ;
#9 Christopher Eccleston ; #10 David Tennent ; #11 Matt Smith ; #12 Peter Capaldi ; #13 Jodie Whittaker

I just noticed that the War Doctor and the Valeyard were not in that picture. Add them into your rankings if you wish as #8.5 and #?? respectively.
For me it's #10, #13, #9, #4, #1, #7, #11, #3, #6, #8, #2, #5 (is that a face begging to be punched, or what?), #??, #8.5, #12.

And for the record, I haven't seen at least one episode with each doctor. I hate capaldi so much that I rank him below doctors I've never actually seen in action.
I wish we could've had more than 1 season of Eccleston.

• 2Like