Doctor Who

Chris

Potato del Grande
This is firmly on the boycott list.

I'm only going to watch this if they do another drama worthy retcon or kill Jodie Whittaker.

I'll make a prediction since it's a continuous storyline and episode 1 was apparently a lot of setup. If The Doctor regenerates in episode 6 then they probably introduced the new Doctor in episode 1 to server as a shock reveal.

For the people who watched it... any likely candidates for that happening? Otherwise she may just regenerate in the anniversary special.

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thought I had read that they already finished filming the typical christmas holiday special that she'll regenerate in?

It looks like the end is nigh for another Doctor as Jodie Whittaker looks set to step into the TARDIS for her last time in two upcoming Doctor Who specials before handing over the reigns to her yet to be announced replacement

Kind of makes me think she'll get the season + whatever holiday special they did

Qhue

Trump's Staff
There is this 6-episode season/story "The Flux" and then three specials in 2022. New Years Day, Spring (Easter) and then a third in the Fall at the end of which she regenerates into 14. The Regeneration sequence has been filmed but only her part of it. The next Doctor will presumably film theirs sometime after they have been revealed, likely during the summer.

Goatface

is the bald black brit chick still the favorite to replace her?

edit, looked her up, Michaela Coel worse than i remembered
1635977468163.png

didn't see any new lists or odds

Qhue

Trump's Staff
T'Nia Miller would be a good choice, but she already played the TimeLord General in the 50th anniversary special.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
just bring back David Tennant. if they can have 100 million black trans lesbians be the Doctor, they can recycle the most famous Doctor of Nu-Who.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I liked Eccleston more than Smith.

I like Eccleston a lot too. He reminds me of my favorite show, Highlander: The Series. Maybe it's the leather jacket, I'm not sure. I have a soft spot for that one season because I watched it right after I got back from my first trip to Britain, and there was something awesome about that.

I've heard over and over that Tennant or Smith are the best Doctor. I've seen some of both and I don't know yet who I like more. Putting aside how partial I am to Eccleston for nostalgic reasons, I do think both Tennant and Smith had better material to work with as the show needed time to find its footing.

So which is the better Doctor, Tennant or Smith?

And which of those two had the better trio of seasons?

Edit: Only talking about NuWho, obviously Tom Baker was the best classic one.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Smith had Amy, Rory, and River which gives him an edge in my book.

• 3Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Saw yesterday the article that Jodie & Chris were out and was seriously elated. Rewatching the series since Eccelston's a couple of times over the years, it made me realize how often they did shoehorn in some bullshit concept (racism/specie-ism? politics, sexuality, slavery) but god damn did they lay it on thiiiiick with Whitaker. Some of the worst writing I've ever seen when we tried to watch the latest seasons.

Kinda hoping they make the 14th doctor the black chick from one of Jodies episodes (Fugitive of the Rhino People) who straight up wrecked shit, give her some decent writing and that'd be a hit.

Think if I listed my top 5 disliked episodes, Jodie would have all god damned 5 with 6th being Tenant's Planet of the Ood.

From catching up on the thread I'm getting the impression that Tennant is the most popular NuWho doctor with the best seasons... just avoid "Planet of the Ood" I guess?

I know Smith's first season is great and it declines a bit for the other two due to the showrunners.

I mainly ask because I still have to do a big straight-through Who watch (rather than my usual methodology of picking random episodes) and I'm not sure if I should watch Tennant, Smith, or both. I watched all of Eccleston and outside of the farting aliens which ruined the vibe of the season, it was good.

Cybsled

T'Nia Miller would be a good choice, but she already played the TimeLord General in the 50th anniversary special.

That's never stopped them before lol

Smith had Amy, Rory, and River which gives him an edge in my book.

Ya, the Smith run had an amazing supporting cast. Amy & Rory, River, heck even Valestra + Strax + Jenny were all really entertaining and had great chemistry, plus they had overlapping interactions through out his run. Plus the whole Amy + Rory + River + The Doctor being more of a family was good for Smith's character, since it was the first time in a long time that you felt like The Doctor had a semi-normal life, so to speak.

Tennant had Jack Harkness and Rose and Donna as probably the most interesting, but you lacked that overlap outside the final episodes in Donna's run. So you mostly had just 1 good supporting character, maybe 2 for a short period, at any given time.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
That's never stopped them before lol

Ya, the Smith run had an amazing supporting cast. Amy & Rory, River, heck even Valestra + Strax + Jenny were all really entertaining and had great chemistry, plus they had overlapping interactions through out his run. Plus the whole Amy + Rory + River + The Doctor being more of a family was good for Smith's character, since it was the first time in a long time that you felt like The Doctor had a semi-normal life, so to speak.

Tennant had Jack Harkness and Rose and Donna as probably the most interesting, but you lacked that overlap outside the final episodes in Donna's run. So you mostly had just 1 good supporting character, maybe 2 for a short period, at any given time.
you had Donna, but you also had Wilfred who stole the fucking show. he easily made horrible episodes bearable to great.

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This is basically it. Tennant is better unless you add in Companion dynamics, but then Smith had Clara so... maybe not.
Smith was good, but he had 2 really good things going for him. he had Amy and he had really really good writing for his first season. the way they tied everything together by the end was just fantastic. season 2 was almost as good. also for some reason Smith seemed to have most of the adult cast from the Harry Potter movies as well. if they brought either Smith or Tennant back i would be fine with it. but i did like Tennant's more warlike attitude. Smith was a bit more silly.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
IMO Tennant was the better actor, but Smith had better supporting cast and scripts.

Which is mostly what hurt the last two - I don't think having Davies back in charge is going to matter much unless they find a replacement writer of Moffat's caliber, regardless of who is cast as the Doctor.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Smith had Clara at the end, but Tennant also had Martha. Martha was just dull as dishwater.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Martha was totally redeemed by her exit episode where she has to spend a year in a post apocalyptic earth to rescue The Doctor and maybe unfuck everything, then quit the TARDIS because of how that had traumatised her family.

She's also part of one of the greatest moments in Dr Who history The Master returns.

A lot of the big moments for Matt Smith were total nonsense, in the Tennant era things tended to not jump the shark so much.

• 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Martha was totally redeemed by her exit episode where she has to spend a year in a post apocalyptic earth to rescue The Doctor and maybe unfuck everything, then quit the TARDIS because of how that had traumatised her family.

She's also part of one of the greatest moments in Dr Who history The Master returns.

A lot of the big moments for Matt Smith were total nonsense, in the Tennant era things tended to not jump the shark so much.
she was also a decent character in Torchwood. i think she nuked somebody or several somebodies with UNIT.

Chris

Potato del Grande
she was also a decent character in Torchwood. i think she nuked somebody or several somebodies with UNIT.
Was she in Torchwood?

In one of the season finales after she left as a companion, she ends up charge of enough nukes to destroy the earth as a contingency plan against the daleks.