Doctor Who

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I wish we could've had more than 1 season of Eccleston.
No doubt. He was my favorite until recently. After living through capaldi and smith I came to appreciate tennent more. But if I were to go back and watch that one season again eccleston might move back to the #1 spot. Tennent probably only takes the top spot because of longevity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
i own my bias.

I like Smith and Tenant as that was the most accessible content when I was really into the show. I watched those seasons multiple times. 2 newer doctors did not even get a second viewing.

I think we can all agree the world is a worse place for only giving Eccleston one season.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i own my bias.

I like Smith and Tenant as that was the most accessible content when I was really into the show. I watched those seasons multiple times. 2 newer doctors did not even get a second viewing.

I think we can all agree the world is a worse place for only giving Eccleston one season.
i liked Eccelston just fine, he was my favorite for a while, but they really didnt give him the best writing.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Yeah, I think the common theme would be "Rank the best storylines" rather than the best Doctor. They seems to drive the actual memories of each Doctor.
My picks...

1. River Song/ Demons Run
2. Master/ Return of the Time Lords
3. Crack/ Death of Rory etc.
4. Weeping Angels
5. Return of the Master/ Planet on the edge of time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Yeah, I think the common theme would be "Rank the best storylines" rather than the best Doctor. They seems to drive the actual memories of each Doctor.
My picks...

1. River Song/ Demons Run
2. Master/ Return of the Time Lords
3. Crack/ Death of Rory etc.
4. Weeping Angels
5. Return of the Master/ Planet on the edge of time.
no love for Bad Wolf or Left Turn?

Cybsled

Bad Wolf was ok. Left turn was just one episode (that had bad wolf at the end).

Capaldi suffered from some bad scripts. Capaldi + Missy was some of the best Doctor vs Master stuff in Who, though. Husbands of River Song was a good episode for him to have some great scenes with River also. The part we’re River was going off about how the Doctor didn’t give a shit about her and she didn’t realize he was right there had some great acting by both

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Bad Wolf was ok. Left turn was just one episode (that had bad wolf at the end).

Capaldi suffered from some bad scripts. Capaldi + Missy was some of the best Doctor vs Master stuff in Who, though. Husbands of River Song was a good episode for him to have some great scenes with River also. The part we’re River was going off about how the Doctor didn’t give a shit about her and she didn’t realize he was right there had some great acting by both
i know Left Turn was one episode, but the "what if" aspect of it seemed to to lead her down a bunch of rabbit holes that caused her to become Doctor Donna at the end. Bad Wolf was awesome. it tied in so much stuff about The Master and the 3 knocks. i should probably watch those again. those early seasons were a lot of fun. lets also not forget that Capaldi and Karen Gilan were in the same Tennant episode in Pompeii.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Allright nerds. Rank the doctors.

Versions_of_the_Doctor.jpg

In case anyone forgot the names here they are from top to bottom, left to right.

#1 William Hartnell ; #2 Patrick Troughton ; #3 John Pertwee ; #4 Tom Baker ;
#5 Peter Davison ; #6 Colin Baker ; #7 Sylvester Mccoy ; #8 Paul McGan ;
#9 Christopher Eccleston ; #10 David Tennent ; #11 Matt Smith ; #12 Peter Capaldi ; #13 Jodie Whittaker

I just noticed that the War Doctor and the Valeyard were not in that picture. Add them into your rankings if you wish as #8.5 and #?? respectively.
For me it's #10, #13, #9, #4, #1, #7, #11, #3, #6, #8, #2, #5 (is that a face begging to be punched, or what?), #??, #8.5, #12.

And for the record, I haven't seen at least one episode with each doctor. I hate capaldi so much that I rank him below doctors I've never actually seen in action.

Tom Baker >>> David Tennant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The rest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jodie Whittaker

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

k^M

Blackwing Lair Raider
Tom Baker >>> David Tennant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The rest >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jodie Whittaker
Saw yesterday the article that Jodie & Chris were out and was seriously elated. Rewatching the series since Eccelston's a couple of times over the years, it made me realize how often they did shoehorn in some bullshit concept (racism/specie-ism? politics, sexuality, slavery) but god damn did they lay it on thiiiiick with Whitaker. Some of the worst writing I've ever seen when we tried to watch the latest seasons.

Kinda hoping they make the 14th doctor the black chick from one of Jodies episodes (Fugitive of the Rhino People) who straight up wrecked shit, give her some decent writing and that'd be a hit.

Think if I listed my top 5 disliked episodes, Jodie would have all god damned 5 with 6th being Tenant's Planet of the Ood.

• 1Dislike
  • 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
at least it will be well written woke. if anyone can unfuck this series, its him. and i dont think he can do it.
If they make him keep diverse failed soap opera writers and actors it's going to suck.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
If they make him keep diverse failed soap opera writers and actors it's going to suck.
i think he will choose his own writers, in fact i think the BBC will make him pick new ones. no reason to keep chib's people. they failed horribly. at least Davies has a grasp of the genre and wouldnt pick writers based only on the number of diversity boxes to fill.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Well this is unexpected. Clearly the BEEB is seeking to hit the reset-button and help the cash-cow regain its footing. I say 'unexpected' but I'm actually at a loss as to what other 'showrunner' could tackle something like this. Most of the really talented folk in the UK are now aligned to streaming services and heaven-help-them if they went with a non-British team.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Well this is unexpected. Clearly the BEEB is seeking to hit the reset-button and help the cash-cow regain its footing. I say 'unexpected' but I'm actually at a loss as to what other 'showrunner' could tackle something like this. Most of the really talented folk in the UK are now aligned to streaming services and heaven-help-them if they went with a non-British team.
its going to be a Herculean task, and perhaps thats why they picked him. this show was success due to him and David Tennant, this is probably the final Hail Mary attempt to get this show back on track or it gets cancelled with him. they need to retcon some or all of this Jody Whitaker shit, first and foremost. then they need to cast a decent lead. somebody white, male and British. they need to send a message that this show is back. thirdly they need to get some competent writers, people who have experience in the genre or at least have some interest in writing for it. no diversity hires. cast people based on acting/writing ability not skin color, gender or sexual persuasion. do i think all of those things will happen? nope. i am at least hoping for a good lead Doctor, one decent writer and they never mention the canon destroying 87 billion Doctors again.

Caliane

yeah, it all started with Davies. I don't know why anyone thinks he can fix it. The woke shit is only half of it. Davies turned the Doctor into an unlikable hypocritical asshole as well.

A subtle aspect is, everyone lives around him gets ruined by the end of even Tenats run. like, you go back twenty years and ask, "if the Doctor showed up at your house, and offered, would you go on an adventure?" a resounding hell yes. By the end of Tenats run however? hell no. in fact, I'd move immediately, as clearly some alien is going to follow him to my house looking for him. And hes not going to do shit about it.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
yeah, it all started with Davies. I don't know why anyone thinks he can fix it. The woke shit is only half of it. Davies turned the Doctor into an unlikable hypocritical asshole as well.

A subtle aspect is, everyone lives around him gets ruined by the end of even Tenats run. like, you go back twenty years and ask, "if the Doctor showed up at your house, and offered, would you go on an adventure?" a resounding hell yes. By the end of Tenats run however? hell no. in fact, I'd move immediately, as clearly some alien is going to follow him to my house looking for him. And hes not going to do shit about it.
look at the MCU . it started with localized villains. it ended with half the galaxy being obliterated. this shit escalates over time. with the Doctor, he's always saving the planet and the galaxy, but mostly this planet because we live here. nobody gives a shit about the people of skarro or new new new new new new new york run by cat people a million years from now.

Goatface

For first series premiers, "The Halloween Apocalypse" marks the lowest rating for any of the new Doctor Who series as only 4.43 million viewers tuned in on Sunday night

Season 12's first episode saw 4.88 million viewers
Jodie Whittaker's first full episode back in 2018 for Season 11 drew in a whopping 8.20 million viewers

• 2Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
For first series premiers, "The Halloween Apocalypse" marks the lowest rating for any of the new Doctor Who series as only 4.43 million viewers tuned in on Sunday night

Season 12's first episode saw 4.88 million viewers
Jodie Whittaker's first full episode back in 2018 for Season 11 drew in a whopping 8.20 million viewers
it was also hot garbage.

• 2Solidarity

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I caught the first few minutes, momentary lapse in concentration otherwise would have switched and not seen a second of it.

Needless to say, it was woke, uninspired, shit.

As much as it pains me to say it, they need to park this show for a good ten years to allow people to forget the travesty they've made it.

• 1Like