Doctor Who

The wait at the end of RTD was the worst. 4 eps for the entire year I think? Easter, Autumn, X-mas/New Years.

Smith really was a great Doctor. His casting caused hair pulling and gnashing of teeth everywhere. Then by the end of his first ep with his 'I am the Doctor' speech he won most folks over. As insane as this sounds....Capaldi has VERY BIG shoes to fill. Matt Smith was imo the oldest Doctor we've ever seen. His portrayal really gave me the sense this is a very old man in a young persons body, and that was all Matt Smith.
I agree with this. The thing about Doctor Who is you get so damn attached to each Doctor. The 9th Doctor was the first time I had watched the show since I was a little kid (Tom Baker reruns) during the early 80's. I absolutely loved Eccleston and I remember having a conversation with my fiance about how I just don't see how Tennant would be any good, in fact I thought he would be terrible. By the end of his run, I was nearly in tears not wanting him to regenerate and then they added that heartbreaking "I don't want to go..." line. Again with Smith, I had the same experience, although for whatever reason I just wasn't attached emotionally.

If there is one thing I have learned about Doctor Who, it's you can speculate and gripe all you want about casting choices, but at the end of the day we really just need to see them in action before passing judgement.

Luckily for us Tennant fans, we still have the Metacrisis Doctor, which if I had to guess will be how he is in the 50th anniversary episode.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I was actually hoping for the 3 Doctors to die at "The Moment" causing their regeneration energy to form the new Doctor. New set of regenerations, etc...

Doesn't seem to be the case though. Also curious if this is the metacrisis Doctor or an escaped memory. The appearance of Rose seems to indicate the former though.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Nearly fell off my chair laughing at the response to "Oh you clever boy"
biggrin.png
That is exactly what I meant on the last page haha!

Is it time for either of the specials yet? >.<

Jait

Molten Core Raider
that video was awesome. Also loved the first comment.

STILL NOT FUCKING GINGER!

iannis

Musty Nester
Man, that would be hilarious. Run you clever boy was funny, and then panning over the Daleks with "hordes offuckingrobots..."

Relentless caustic exasperation. After smith -- that's the doctor we both deserve and need.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Filler time:
Bill Nighy jumps out of the woodwork to say he turned it down...in the past. But I'm guessing he was offered it before Capaldi. He says he loves the show but it's too much baggage. Too right it is. I think it was a good decision, but he'd make a great Doctor/Valeyard.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/showbi...-of-Doctor-Who

Also in another article it turns out "a black actor" was offered the role of The Doctor in the past, but turned it down. Since it was Moffat who said it, I have to assume it was offered to Patterson Joseph before Matt Smith.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah, he's right that it's just the wrong sort of baggage for an established actor like Nighy is. It's a good sort of baggage for younger actors though, or an older actor of the right temperment. And if I were a black actor, the role would terrify me -- the odds seem significant that it would be a career destroyer where the best case seems like "Oh yeah! He was the black doctor and it wasn't absolute garbage!". Doesn't seem like there's a lot of ways to win for the actor in that deal.

The only female doctor I would accept would be Dame Judy Dench. God that would be mindfuckingly bizzare, even if it was just a 20 episode arc.

And that fan piece was remarkably well done for fan-fic.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
Next season talk
There's apparently a very good chance Mr Hurt might turn up for a few episodes! Him & Capaldi together would be a hell of a thing.

Interesting if true, shame it's possibly up to 12-13 months away.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24038234

The BBC has announced a raft of programmes to mark the 50th anniversary of the first episode of Doctor Who.

A 75-minute special episode called The Day Of The Doctor will star the soon-to-leave Matt Smith and David Tennant.

Smith said: "Hope you all enjoy. There's lots more coming your way."

Other highlights include a BBC Two lecture by Professor Brian Cox on the science behind the hit show and the drama An Adventure In Space and Time, written by Mark Gatiss.

The one-off programme stars David Bradley - known to millions for his role as Filch in the Harry Potter films - as William Hartnell, who played the first Doctor in 1963.

BBC Four will introduce new audiences to Hartnell, with a re-run of the first ever story. The four episodes are being shown in a restored format, not previously broadcast in the UK.

BBC Two's flagship arts programme The Culture Show is to present Me, You and Doctor Who, with lifelong fan Matthew Sweet exploring the cultural significance of the BBC's longest running TV drama.

A 90-minute documentary on BBC Radio 2 will ask "Who Is The Doctor?" - using newly-recorded interviews and exclusive archive material to find an answer.

For those less familiar with the show, Doctor Who: The Ultimate Guide will provide a handy primer.

CBBC will broadcast a show, 12 Again, bringing together stars to share their memories of Doctor Who.

They include the seventh Doctor, Sylvester McCoy, Tommy Knight, who played Luke Smith in The Sarah Jane Adventures, Warwick Davis, who played Porridge in a Doctor Who episode and Louise Jameson, who was the fourth Doctor Tom Baker's companion Leela.

Blue Peter is launching a competition giving viewers aged between six and 14 the opportunity to design a new gadget that will become part of the series and Matt Smith will appear on the Blue Peter sofa to answer viewers' questions.

BBC Three audiences will be encouraged to get involved and vote in Doctor Who: Monsters and Villains Weekend.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Been reading complaints that this isn't enough. But I'm pretty damn happy with the list so far. It's not quite a "complete takeover of media", but it's okay with me.

geffe71_sl

shitlord
The picture they used for Tennant bothers me, It doesnt look like Ten. I had to do a double take, looks like a Tennant look-a-like

iannis

Musty Nester
Either it's the angle he's facing or he's not as gaunt. It's been a few years, he put on a couple of pounds. And I do mean a couple... dude looked like he weighed about 90 sopping wet to begin with. +5 would be noticable in his face. Or it might just be the way he's standing.

Seems like a lot of Dr. Who stuff on that list.

I don't know if I've ever seen the first Dr. Who story. I have seen Hartnell, but I don't think the first. So that alone is pretty good.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Either it's the angle he's facing or he's not as gaunt. It's been a few years, he put on a couple of pounds. And I do mean a couple... dude looked like he weighed about 90 sopping wet to begin with. +5 would be noticable in his face. Or it might just be the way he's standing.

Seems like a lot of Dr. Who stuff on that list.

I don't know if I've ever seen the first Dr. Who story. I have seen Hartnell, but I don't think the first. So that alone is pretty good.
It stands up even today. I've watched An Unearthly Child about five times. Can't wait to watch the remastered version. Will be the first time I let the kids watch Doctor Who with me.

Fazana_sl

shitlord
50th episode chat
The "Peter Davidson has been lying all along and is appearing in the episode" rumours got a quite a boost today when he (possibly inadvertently) said in a daytime tv interview that he has a copy of the script with his name on the front and he's not going to confirm any spoilers at all. Him having a script of the episode with his name on has only one probable reason though...