Does cologne go bad?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
The best cologne ever made, Very Cool by Tommy Bahama, has been out of production for 5 or 6 years now (there is an awful reformulated version available). There are bottles on ebay for the low price of $200 but im concerned that the age will have fucked up the original scent and I will be disappointed. Thoughts?

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
The best cologne ever made, Very Cool by Tommy Bahama, has been out of production for 5 or 6 years now (there is an awful reformulated version available). There are bottles on ebay for the low price of $200 but im concerned that the age will have fucked up the original scent and I will be disappointed. Thoughts?
it'll go bad eventually, even tho it's like 99% alcohol, the other stuff will breakdown.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Nope! My A&F Woods still smells as fucking good now as it did back in 1996. Bring me back....

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have a huge bottle of it from my highschool days when it flowed like wine, when A&B was A&B, makes all the 1990's girls wet...still.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I have a huge bottle of it from my highschool days when it flowed like wine, when A&B was A&B, makes all the 1990's girls wet...still.
Fierce is the scent that I associate with A&F, probably because I'm a bit younger than you. I used to work there back in college for like a month and we'd go around the store with a giant water bottle of cologne and spray it all over shit.

real curious about the Woods though, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 0.5 sampler bottle for $40.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
after my gramps died 30 years ago my dad and i went through his stuff and he had this positively ancient bottle of Old Spice. opened it up and it smelled like asshole. so yes it goes bad.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Maybe gramps was keeping something else in that bottle.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Oldbased

> Than U
after my gramps died 30 years ago my dad and i went through his stuff and he had this positively ancient bottle of Old Spice. opened it up and it smelled like asshole. so yes it goes bad.
Being Old Spice I thought the punchline was going to be, so no, it doesn't go bad.

iannis

Musty Nester
It's pherols isn't it?

I would have thought cologne would last decades. I would have been wrong. Go figgure.

*unopened and away from light. Opened, bacteria would breed in dere. In sunlight, it would slowly revert to a bottle of water with a gay ass film on it.

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Fierce is the scent that I associate with A&F, probably because I'm a bit younger than you. I used to work there back in college for like a month and we'd go around the store with a giant water bottle of cologne and spray it all over shit.

real curious about the Woods though, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 0.5 sampler bottle for $40.

I am pretty sure Woods was the first cologne for A&F, I am 38. I remember Fierce coming out late 90's/2000?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm

Liked Woods but didn't like Fierce. Then again this is coming from me being in high school so who knows. I remember Fierce being too citrus. Woods had a nice masculine smell but not overly musky.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
It's pherols isn't it?

I would have thought cologne would last decades. I would have been wrong. Go figgure.

*unopened and away from light. Opened, bacteria would breed in dere. In sunlight, it would slowly revert to a bottle of water with a gay ass film on it.

probably depends on how many natural ingredients they use. i'm sure some of the 21st century fully synthetic aromas never go bad.

Oldbased

> Than U
hah the sample size vials are actually cheaper per ounce than the 16oz bottle.
For the cost of a 16 oz bottle you can have many types of the samples stockpiled and take the savings and invest in the fast food thread. This is how I make America great again.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
If you date chicks who have a decent job you are eventually gonna get a bottle of whatever she wants you to smell like. I must have 8-9 bottles of high end 'skunk oil'. I went and whiffed a bunch of the 20 - 25 y.o. CKs, and 15+ y.o. Ralph. they smell the same. The bottle of Drakkar Noir I had as a high school freshman smells foul but Drak smells like ass brand new so its probably the same.

If a bottle is full and unopened no oxygen has been in their breaking shit down and is probably fine.