Doom: Eternal

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Now I wish I waited to play Eternal until they release some omegalul editions w/ everything packed together. People are saying 3 or so hours of playtime for the newest DLC which is kind of butt for $20.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Butthurt

<Nazi Janitors>
Now I wish I waited to play Eternal until they release some omegalul editions w/ everything packed together. People are saying 3 or so hours of playtime for the newest DLC which is kind of butt for $20.
Play it on nightmare. its about 3 hours per level

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Thread necro.

Had some time between other games and got around to playing this. I've put a few hours in and I'm confused. I seem to remember loving Doom 2016. Shoot at shit until it flashes, glory kill it, repeat. Good, brainless fun. Moreover, all the information you need to react to is in the middle of the screen.

Use the belcher if you're low on armor.
Use the chainsaw if you're low on ammo, but only if you have enough fuel for that target.
Use glory kills if you're low on health.
Toss grenades at these types of enemies(I honestly can't remember if there were grenades in 2016).
Switch weapons for certain types of enemies or else they're ammo sponges.

On an ultrawide, that's too much information at the extreme corners of the screen. Yes, there are alerts in the middle of the screen when you get low on health or ammo, but I feel like I'm making a mistake if I'm seeing those. I'd much rather react to dipping levels of resources before they get critically low.

Was dashing in Doom 2016? Maybe I should replay that and refresh my memory. It feels like a few too many hotkeys for smooth gameplay. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that likes to automate as much as possible in PoE.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

sliverstorm

Trakanon Raider
Thread necro.

Had some time between other games and got around to playing this. I've put a few hours in and I'm confused. I seem to remember loving Doom 2016. Shoot at shit until it flashes, glory kill it, repeat. Good, brainless fun. Moreover, all the information you need to react to is in the middle of the screen.

Use the chainsaw if you're low on ammo, but only if you have enough fuel for that target.
Toss grenades at these types of enemies(I honestly can't remember if there were grenades in 2016).

On an ultrawide, that's too much information at the extreme corners of the screen. Yes, there are alerts in the middle of the screen when you get low on health or ammo, but I feel like I'm making a mistake if I'm seeing those. I'd much rather react to dipping levels of resources before they get critically low.

Was dashing in Doom 2016? Maybe I should replay that and refresh my memory. It feels like a few too many hotkeys for smooth gameplay. Then again, I'm the kind of guy that likes to automate as much as possible in PoE.
Two things:

First, in settings > UI, you can turn on or off crosshair indicators for fuel/flame belch/chainsaw/grenade when off cooldown. This lets you keep your eyes in the center of the screen (thought they were on by default, but maybe not).

Untitled.jpg

Second, you'll develop a 'rotation' focused on maximizing the usage of your free resources that looks something like:

Belcher > Grenade > Chainsaw > Dash > Weapon 1 > Weapon 2 > Glory Kill > Dash > Weapon 1 > Weapon 2 > Glory Kill > Blood Punch

And by then all your cooldowns are up and you just repeat the entire combo. So now you're managing one string of actions vs. having to manage 5 cooldowns/hotkeys individually, and you start focusing more on movement in between. You'll get a weapon whose secondary fire enables a ton more movement and start swapping it into your rotation.

As you get better you'll get more familiar with when things are off cooldown and start using them situationally (ice grenade deployment becomes pretty important on Ultra Nightmare). At least that's how it went for me. IMO one of the best combat systems I've ever played in my life.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't care for Eternal much compared to 2016. There were too many odd things in the zone which broke the feel, like puzzles with colored lights, jumping puzzles, etc. I think 2016 was a more pure experience.

I wonder what iD is working on now.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
Thread necro.

No, I feel the same way. I was super hyped for Eternal, but it seemed like Eternal just took it a bridge too far. What made Doom fun for me was killing massive amounts of shit. I don't mind puzzles, there was limited puzzles in the original game (in the form of buttons and key cards and shit). But now it's like a fucking Ret Pally button rotation. Shoot 8 bullets outta this gun, shoot 4 bullets outta this gun, shoot 16 bullets outta this gun, oops, outta ammo, gotta chainsaw this guy, then go back to shooting 8 bullets outta this gun....it's just gay and it takes away the charm of the game.

So much fun from the original Doom was "shit, I've been leaning on the plasma rifle too much, I'm gonna have to kill these 6 cacodemons that just came around the corner with a rocket launcher and that's gonna suck." Now it's just "kill one or 2 enemies in the same exact style every time, and then move to a different location and do it again."

It sounds like Doom.....but it isnt *fun.*

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
No, I feel the same way. I was super hyped for Eternal, but it seemed like Eternal just took it a bridge too far. What made Doom fun for me was killing massive amounts of shit. I don't mind puzzles, there was limited puzzles in the original game (in the form of buttons and key cards and shit). But now it's like a fucking Ret Pally button rotation. Shoot 8 bullets outta this gun, shoot 4 bullets outta this gun, shoot 16 bullets outta this gun, oops, outta ammo, gotta chainsaw this guy, then go back to shooting 8 bullets outta this gun....it's just gay and it takes away the charm of the game.

So much fun from the original Doom was "shit, I've been leaning on the plasma rifle too much, I'm gonna have to kill these 6 cacodemons that just came around the corner with a rocket launcher and that's gonna suck." Now it's just "kill one or 2 enemies in the same exact style every time, and then move to a different location and do it again."

I have not a fan of weapon switching for combo purposes at all.

The way I ran was remember which weapons were optimal against X target. Chaff usually ate a meathook, then blasted by the double barrel, swapped to plasma for Cacodemons and Riot Soldiers, burst rocket shots on Arachnotron & any other heavies. Even then, I didnt follow my own guide completely all the time.

Once I got low on ammo, I chainsawed something then got back to fighting.

The only time I did have to weapon combo was fighting the Dark Lord and Maras..... I didnt really enjoy that, but I was able to get the game completed on Nightmare and be overall satisfied with the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

I also hated Eternal, but Doom 2016 was awesome.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Belcher > Grenade > Chainsaw > Dash > Weapon 1 > Weapon 2 > Glory Kill > Dash > Weapon 1 > Weapon 2 > Glory Kill > Blood Punch

And by then all your cooldowns are up and you just repeat the entire combo. So now you're managing one string of actions vs. having to manage 5 cooldowns/hotkeys individually, and you start focusing more on movement in between. You'll get a weapon whose secondary fire enables a ton more movement and start swapping it into your rotation.

This is exactly what soured me on the game. It became a fucking WoW dps rotation rather than a doom game.

I fucking hate complexity for complexity's sake. There's something to be said for elegant simplicity.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
This is exactly what soured me on the game. It became a fucking WoW dps rotation rather than a doom game.

I fucking hate complexity for complexity's sake. There's something to be said for elegant simplicity.

You know what's simple?

400 bullets
100 shells
100 rockets
600 cells.

That's simple.
1895398-doom-dos-episode-one-takes-place-on-a-moon-called-phobos-this-is.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users