DOOM

Disp_sl

shitlord
Doom 3 wasn't that bad. D1 and 2 had co-op play? I guess I don't remember that, hah.
Pretty sure it was only LAN, but my friend and I played the shit out of D2 co-op whenever I went over to his house. Hopefully this one has a co-op campaign as well.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Nah, you could modem that shit. I played with my friend constantly from miles away!

Doom 3 wasn't that bad. D1 and 2 had co-op play? I guess I don't remember that, hah.
yeah it does but you really have to keep in mind that you can still hurt your teammates there, I had my share of telefragged LAN buddies because I just mindlessly followed them through a teleporter without thinking
biggrin.png

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't know what the fuck people expected from Doom 3 that left them so disappointed. High speed circle strafing while gunning down hordes of enemies?
Then they would have accused the game of not moving forward. Once you're that big, people will always piss on what you do.

Doom 3 was great, and I enjoyed it like few other games back then, this has nothing to do with rose colored glasses, I remember people bitching about the most ridiculous issues because they wanted to be unsatisfied.

Doom 3 was also released during a time period where FPS games were all in the multiplayer craze created by Quake 3/UT/CS so alot of the younger players expected D3 to go into the same direction instead of being a single player game like their predecessors and pretty much every shooter from the 90s

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
While I don't agree Doom 3 was "bad", you have to agree it was retarded for them to have you choose between "see where I shoot" (flashlight) and "shoot" (everything else). I know some mods later made it possible to attach the flashlight onto a gun but that was just ridiculous. I spent most of my time clubbing zombies in the face with the actual fucking flashlight.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Pretty sure it was only LAN, but my friend and I played the shit out of D2 co-op whenever I went over to his house. Hopefully this one has a co-op campaign as well.
we used to 1v1 in the same room via serial cable.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
we used to 1v1 in the same room via serial cable.
Those were dark days. Later we got switches and it was still a pain in the ass figuring out IP's etc. When routers came within reach of the every man (still $200) we were in heaven. All that said I wouldn't have a career (IT related) if it wasn't for those 90's FPS games and all the headaches we went through trying to LAN. Thanks id!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Those noises bring back so many memories. I remember playing Doom 2 4 player split screen on a N64, 4 people huddled around 13" black & white TV for HOURS while in college. GD I wish they would make good FPS games again.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Poor guy has no idea how to dodge that BFG. Wish I still had some of my old demos around.

fris

Vyemm Raider
ifrag, there's a name i have no heard in some time
smile.png

i was a long time member of the houston dwango server.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I couldn't play against locals, they'd just quit. I had to sign in to sirdoom as other people to get anyone to play, heh. And even then I had to do shit like not use the BFG at all, not use the SSG too much, etc. I started playing long distance against people from newsgroups or IRC. It was a rather expensive habit.

My favorite thing in Doom was dodging everyone's BFG shots, then tricking them into thinking they were dodging mine when they were actually moving into the cone. Most thought that you just had to get behind the player to be safe.

And in the early days, hah. So many people trying to play with gamepads or just the keyboard.

Best player I ever played was Xoleras. Mostly for his d2map11 play. Dude was quite the freak.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
And in the early days, hah. So many people trying to play with gamepads or just the keyboard.
LOL! Indeed! My buddy played with a Gravis Gamepad back then and it took him a lot of intense ass beatings to come around to the mouse and keyboard side of the world. Playing Q1DM6 with all the platforms and he would come along not looking up (or down) and just be frag bait. Good times! Still give him trouble about it from time to time.