DOOM

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Bethesda owns Id

I'm also looking forward to the level editor they announced, if people can make their own SP maps, including modifying underlying mechanics, we could have brutal doom pretty soon.

Caliane

I didn't know Bethesda owned the IP now
tongue.png
Publisher.

MachinegamesMachineGames - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediadeved Wolfenstein:the new order. (lead devs all members of Starbreeze.Starbreeze Studios - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Machinegames was purchased by Zenimax media, (which also owns Bethesda softworks.)

Doom 4 is Id Software.
Published by Bethesda softworks.
Bethesda Softworks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Id Software - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And yes, Id is also owned by Zenimax.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Doom 3 was released around the same time as HL2, so it was kinda judged in comparison to it

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
They did at least figure out that their multiplayer doesn't have to have the same rules as their single player (snail speed, reloading, etc)

spronk

FPS noob
new screenshots released today, looks like they removed the piss filter. I thought the technical alpha was ok last month, was kinda fun and fast but matchmaking was awful - 4-5 mins just sitting around. hopefully that was cuz few people were playing (which is weird). I don't think there is an official release date yet, but rumors are june 2016 (right around E3 I guess)

This game might be too insane for me to play on VR

DOOM New Stunning Screenshots Show The Power Of The id Tech 6 Engine | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming

old ss:
MujiL4d.png

new:
Doom-new-screenshots-4.jpg

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
If it plays fast and frenetic, with tons of enemies, it's DOOM. Yet to be determined, but those shots look pretty nice.

Croetec

Lord Nagafen Raider
The few alpha multiplayer videos showed the game at basically Halo 2 levels of movement and speed, which is concerning...but I'll hold out till I can see it played on an actual PC by someone who isn't terrible at fps before completely judging. New Unreal Tournament maybe the only arena fps for the next decade at this point.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I was blessed to grow up with Doom, and especially Doom 2. My dad and I had subscriptions to DWANGO (Austin, specifically, but if I wanted to rack up long distance fees, I would dial into Houston), and then my Uncle opened up his own BBS (Bigtoe BBS). I can't remember the protocol that was used, but it later allowed matchmaking with Warcraft 2 and Duke Nukem 3D. I remember Quake 1 making our dialup connections cry. Quake 2 birthed the built-in internet support, but no matchmaking and required servers. But I digress... Doom 3 was a disappointment for me, because it lacked co-op, it lacked speed, lacked monster density, and the environment didn't "feel" like Doom. Not just the coloring, but the whole thing. The music, the sounds, too many boring, claustrophobic hallways. Switching between flashlight and gun was pretty stupid, but later fixed, obviously. There were no huge sprawling outdoor areas. It wasn't macabre, as someone also mentioned. It had all of Carmack's wonderful engine, but none of the original team's design aspects that made the original Wolfenstein and Doom games great. Level designs weren't very involved in Doom 3, and it really wasn't a challenge. Difficulty levels with a variable number of monsters is also something Doom did that is done very, very infrequently. Back to co-op, that's the reason and only way I'll play Halo.

Also as Croetec pointed out, the guy playing in those demo reels sucks at FPS.

Things I remember about DWANGO... my dad played primarily with an old joystick, and I was a keyboard cowboy. Once we logged in and got our asses kicked, we were learning mouse the very next day. DWANGO 5 Map 1 was the definitive map, but I think Map 4 or map 8, and the other DWANGO wads (1-4) were used regularly. Most folks shunned DWANGO6 because it was made by a different author, but it still had a good version of map 1. Having a faster computer meant your shots were prioritized, and folks with Pentium 75+ were notably more "accurate" than DX2 66's or below. Felt like hot shit when everyone started getting 120 and 150 MHz procs. And when having a SB16+ actually made the game sound better.

DOS command line launching, and the launcher application for local games. Shit used to be such a challenge to find matches.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Pretty sure I learned modem init strings and shit on DOOM trying to play DM with a friend using ProComm Plus. Those were the days!

Pagan

Lord Nagafen Raider
As long as it relates to hell and not fucking Aliens then im cool...and yes fuck the flashlight.