DOOM

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider

Please don't be shit.
Please don't be shit.
Please don't be shit.

While I seriously doubt they can create anything that comes close to Doom 1/2 or even 3, simply because the mods that came out for those let you make whatever you want out of those games, the recent successes of Shadow Warrior and Wolfenstein give me some hope. If they can deliver on the feel of the weapons and great level design, preferrably of the non-linear variety, we might be in for a treat as long as they keep exposition, cutscenes, QTEs and audio logs to a minimum.

If you are getting nostalgic, get Brutal Doom and be blown away.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
The shotgun loading sound too! Was that the Cyberdemon? I still remember thinking WTF will this be the first time I heard him stomping around before the door opened.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I think it's cyberdemon, Mancubus has 2 guns and neither Hell Lord nor Hell Knight had weapons (if I remember the names correctly)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fadaar

That guy
I think it's cyberdemon, Mancubus has 2 guns and neither Hell Lord nor Hell Knight had weapons (if I remember the names correctly)
Hell Knight (brown colored/weaker one) and Baron of Hell (pink/stronger) if I remember right. Mancubus is also a lot shorter and really fat. The one in the video is either a Cyberdemon or something new.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
It's almost certainly their new take on the Cyberdemon.

I think I'm going to pretend I didn't see this. I know I'll be disappointed, and if I allow myself to get excited at all, I'll probably just finally collapse and die of terminal game disappointment.

Someone just remake all of the old school Doom games in a working modern engine, but with no mechanical changes. Brutal Doom, basically, but less of a pain in the ass to get up and running.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Dunno, Brutal Doom is easier to set up than Skyrim with 15+ mods ...

If they just did the whole thing with the same movement and feel in, say, Serious Sam 3 engine so you don't have to turn everything off to get 60+ fps, I'd be more than happy.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
the reason d1/2 were so great was the multiplayer, it started the whole first person shooter craze. doom3 was more story and graphics. just give us a balanced game w/ replayability, and some silent bfgs
smile.png

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yes, multiplayer was fantastic. Especially being able to play through the game cooperatively, which since then has been sorely missing from 95%+ of all FPS. System Shock 2 being the only other example I can think of.

I spoke with Carmack at a QuakeCon I was competing at, while they were working on Doom 3. Asked him if it'd have coop multiplayer, and his response was basically blah blah we're excited to have story-driven cutsceney type bullshit blah blah... I just kind of tuned him out while I focused in on his stupid face, holding myself back from punching him. So yeah, I really don't have any hope for this. Assuming it's him/Id, I didn't see anything specific in the trailer.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Carmack left id awhile ago, didn't he? I guess this might have his fingerprints on it...

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
He left for Oculous like 6ish months ago?

EDIT thinking back on it might of been just about now last year he left.

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
i'm sure his genius is stil in the code that will be doom4. the problem is doom2's gameplay was greatly influenced by the other guys at id back then. john romero, american mcgee, few others. those guys would DM ALL the time, and the balance in MP showed.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Just don't try to turn this into a fucking Resident Evil game again and we kew.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Doom 3 wasn't that bad. D1 and 2 had co-op play? I guess I don't remember that, hah.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
If they actually put some focus on 1v1 I might be interested. Things have been primarily team based for years though and I don't see that focus changing.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Doom 3 was good. Just dragged up on in the beginning up until the shit in the monitor room. I had headphones on and was playing in the dark at 1am: When they came through the monitors in that room I jumped up and yelled something incomprehensible at my screen.

For that unique experience alone I give it high marks.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
Doom 3 was good. Just dragged up on in the beginning up until the shit in the monitor room. I had headphones on and was playing in the dark at 1am: When they came through the monitors in that room I jumped up and yelled something incomprehensible at my screen.

For that unique experience alone I give it high marks.
I remember inviting my brother and his friend who was over at the time into my bedroom to watch me play it. It was already late, turned lights off and I'm pretty sure within 5 minutes they pissed themselves. They were probably 12-13 too. It got me a few times too but then it became pretty expected. Good stuff!

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
One of the guys I game with said he'd heard rumors of internal bickering and lack of direction hence the constant scrapping and start overs, and may have been a factor in Carmack leaving. Who knows, just hope it's good :-/