DOTA 2

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah really made me sad knowing that hyhy basically doesn't exist in dota anymore. Sure he was a traitor and joined LoL but even there he doesn't play anymore.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
Was definitely a great watch, it highlights how shitty an esports career really is as well for anyone who isn't in the top 3.
kinda feel bad for these kids lol, I know this scene was horrible because I used to follow StarCraft a lot, boxer, nada all those guys and if you weren't them you were pretty fucking poor, and even they were poor at least lived like it.

Jeremy lin is a fucking dota 2 player go figure godamn Asians, now I love dota more.

ps I hope dendi got the fuck out of Ukraine ~~

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The quality and content of the documentary was great. Very enjoyable.

I don't envy these guys one bit. It would almost be a curse to be this good at games. You would feel an obligation to pursue it, but unless you are in the totally exclusive top .01%, you are never going to realize your dreams or see a relevant pay-day.

hyhy was the most compelling story of the bunch. Failed expectations of his family, failed relationship story, and ultimately a failure to capture of the of #1. That is real life. His parents were pretty shitty though... I mean, you can encourage your kid down one path, but also recognize/appreciate excellence in another. The two are not mutually exclusive. He was the BEST player in his ENTIRE COUNTRY at something and all his family could express is disappointment in him. That is a heavy burden to carry.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
fears fucking setup is ridiculous theres no way that cramped area didn't effect his play some what Christ, I was glad to see fear buy a new desk after the tournament.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Watched Ftp with my cousin last night. She constantly sees me playing this, but never actually knew anything about the game and doesn't play games at all. Towards the end of the movie she was rooting for Dendi and had all kinds of questions about DotA and E-sports in general. Job well done valve.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Damn, I was actually at that Gamescom, met Huk and Select at TL meetup, but I couldn't stay until the last day, I remember watching the group matches and having no clue wtf was going on. It was well done, definitely better than anything similar I have seen so far and the focus on the people and the stories made them very relatable. I was bracing for very sobering ending, because unless you are Navi or DK, there's no fucking way you wouldn't be making more money after college, but they softened the blow a lot.

The cynic feels like it's more of a marketing experiment though.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Has it ever been publically shared with the public on how much money streams like sing, dendi, and dread make on average?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Depends on the month and where the audience is located and how many use adblock etc, but I think it's thousands of $, some LoL streamers may make even more

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The top lol streamers certainly make more. The numbers that were semi official were about 0.0035dollars per ad per viewer(3.50 per 1000). About 60 to 70% of the viewers use adblock though, so you have to cut that off right away. Then you have to consider how often they run ads and how much they play. Say two ads every 30mins, play 6hours a day, have 1000viewers, 70%block rate, that's 25bucks a day. Not that much but then you factor in a lot of the more popular streamers get 5-10times that and the really crazy streamers like Bjergsen or whatever his name is, pro lol guy, gets 25-30times that and it gets a lot better.

Also have to remember that a lot of streamers ask for, and get, donations. A lot of streamers only get 1000ish viewers but still get 25-30bucks a day as donations on top of that.

You can definitely live your life comfortably if you're a high viewed streamers and you can get by if you're an ok streamer, but that's still not many people. Oh and if you have boobs and play lol, you can get a fuckton of donations as long as you have push up bras and position your webcam well enough.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
There's no doubt that the point of the doc is to market DotA to a larger crowd.
Then Riot should announce their own documentary pretty soon.

If you want to go more indepth, I recommend watching Starladder's movie about the internationals, it gives some nice background, but definitely not for the average viewer, especially because you need to turn on subs if you haven't been playing with russians long enough. Though listening to it, the subs aren't exactly 1:1

an accordion_sl

shitlord
Then Riot should announce their own documentary pretty soon.

If you want to go more indepth, I recommend watching Starladder's movie about the internationals, it gives some nice background, but definitely not for the average viewer, especially because you need to turn on subs if you haven't been playing with russians long enough. Though listening to it, the subs aren't exactly 1:1
Didn't know this existed, it was alright. Could have been a lot better with an overall narrative like Free to Play, but still did an okay job showcasing some of the behind the scenes stuff.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Btw, anyone see the Rox.kis vs. Team Liquid XGM Capt Draft match? Seems to be a lot of shit going on behind the scenes over there in Liquid land...changes the drafter for the 2nd match and there was early GG called by Liquid, including one that didn't seem to be unanimous.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, wayto called GG without consulting team, Qojqva disconnects, TC didn't want to gg so they said fake. Pretty much zero leadership on the team atm.

Raign

Golden Squire
Likely a repeat question but search let me down so here goes:

Been playing this pretty heavily with some close friends on a closed game but have yet to move out into the 'Don't feed newb' on-line match-up system yet. I am pretty competent vs. AI (for what that's worth... which is to say not much) but I would prefer a newb friendly sever/environment while I skill up some more. Anyone know any private lobbies for newbs? Just want to practice against people more (my friends are even worse and greener than I am...) before I go through the matchmaking system.