DOTA 2

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well first they'd need a client that could actually handle it which would mean remaking the entire thing, so it'd cost them some money. Their fucking launcher is such a piece of shit. I'm surprised they didn't copy it from last TI though.

Elerion

N00b
The compendium point rewards and drops are ridiculously low compared to just buying them. Based on anecdotal evidence, it seems like one can expect 5-10 points per hour from playing games? Meanwhile, 2400 points costs like ?7. So one hour's work at minimum wage = 200-500 hours of playing the game.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well that's kinda the point. You do get a lot of points for getting the predictions right and shit, but that will happen at the end so you wouldn't benefit from the battle booster at that point. I think it's fine to be honest, even if you don't pay you still get some shit and if you play a lot you would get a semi decent level, plus you could trade shit for the boosters too.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, but I wonder if LoL won't come up with something similar this year. I mean, they already have time limited skins, right ? If they expanded on that, they would be making even more money hand over fist.

But yeah, LoL client is fucking horrible, but the steam client isn't something to write home about too. Then again, they deal with a bit more traffic and functionality.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well you have stuff like the steam client saving stats, having item support, having marketplace for buying it and selling the items to pay for it, that kind of stuff. For LoL to add a compendium, they'd need to open a specific website that can support the load to buy it(which obviously isn't possible so it'd be down for like 3-4days), then if you wanted predictions and shit you'd need a way to track the stats of the players, teams and whatever so they'd need a bunch of interns updating all that shit since it's not done automatically like in dota, and they'd need a new interface to track all your shit. I guess they could do a compendium lite or something, where you just buy some cosmetics ingame via the normal store and it just gives you a skin that is updated based on results(but not dynamically, more like every week they updated the client with the new skin).

Elerion

N00b
That said, Steam/Dota's code could do with a pretty serious rewrite so the compendium and various information menus aren't so godawfully slow to navigate.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Steam is essentially a web browser, same for the dota 2 shop ingame, so it's like loading a webpage - it won't go at the speed of light, especially when several milion people are doing the same thing and because it's not preloaded, they can adjust stuff on the fly without patching the client, which is pretty handy. Sure I'd appreciate faster response times, but it works well enough.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4 Days, $4,360,182... Sweet Jesus.

They are going to hit the maxout $6 million goal in a week. Dota 2 has re-written the book on profitable F2P.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Any word if they are adding more stretch goals? Idk if it's possible for this thing not to hit the last goal.

keypusher_sl

shitlord
I imagine they will add something if it goes beyond the last goal. Perhaps another hero, or another game mode. I think it would actually be cool if they just gave the extra money to the players, it's hard to keep an eSports team afloat.

niss_sl

shitlord
Thats my question as well. Does it make sense to pick players from teams that I think wll go far? Because more games = more points?

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Holy shit, this TL v Union game just shows how fucking sheltered and ignorant all these pros and casters are, raging on TL for not giving a shit about a game they had no reason to give a shit about. Morons.

Elerion

N00b
Fantasy league last year had you pick a main team and some substitutes. Besides picking good players, there were three main tricks to getting points:
- Picking players who were likely to go far in the tournament (ie don't pick RTZ, even if he's good, he won't be playing in the latter half of the playoffs)
- Picking substitutes who play on opposing days to your main team in the group stages, so you can sub them in/out every other day
- Picking players who are likely to play a higher value role than what they are defined as (ie supports that sometimes play 2/3 roles depending on picks, or supports who generally have a less sacrificial playstyle - not Maelk)

I haven't looked at the rules for this year yet.