DOTA 2

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Got every common immortal, no rare ones :-/ I'll probably just sell the rest of the caches I'll get

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Something one of the casters pointed out - pretty much all the NAR players have left / been kicked from previous teams due to personality conflicts. One wonders whether they'll be able to keep it together.

I meant to pick Luna for highest GPM but didn't notice I put in Lina. Turns out she isn't a GPM machine.
I picked Naga and the damn Euro's pretty much ignored her. :/ I was 39/100 on picks, though I was screwed on longest match; I guessed 71-80 and the longest turned out to be 80:21 which apparently counts as 81 minutes....

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Something one of the casters pointed out - pretty much all the NAR players have left / been kicked from previous teams due to personality conflicts. One wonders whether they'll be able to keep it together.

I picked Naga and the damn Euro's pretty much ignored her. :/ I was 39/100 on picks, though I was screwed on longest match; I guessed 71-80 and the longest turned out to be 80:21 which apparently counts as 81 minutes....
I sincerely doubt any contract they got extends beyond TI4, last year there were exactly 3 teams with unchanged rosters - Fnatic, Navi and Alliance, with Navi almost falling apart.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
What all happened to navi after ti3? Ive seen posts like this before but I dont remember any drama other then something xboct said right afterwards

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
They were pretty pissed for losing the finals, especially XBOCT, so there were rumors that the team is falling apart - with decent amount of trolling from other pros, before they came out that they are keeping the lineup about a month or two later.

Cybsled

I do have a feeling that this TI may result in a massive shake-up for many teams. With this much money on the line, the pressure to perform skyrockets. Over 8 mil and climbing.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I do have a feeling that this TI may result in a massive shake-up for many teams. With this much money on the line, the pressure to perform skyrockets. Over 8 mil and climbing.
You think so ? I don't think that many teams changed rosters last time ...

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
The main thing about some of the highest profile western teams is that they have pretty good contracts - relative to SEA/CHN (if you arn't Tier 1). EG/Alliance/Fanatic/Na'vi - if these teams perform and give a good showing of the brand - I don't see the same need to reform. Now if you place in the bottom 4 or 8 of TI4, there may be motivation for teams best players to go elsewhere, but team/brand/financial stability are not an issue for these teams. Especially EG/Alliance/Na'vi all of these teams have leveraged the item shop for sets, have wide long sponsor lists and in general marketed very well.

The other factor is how this 8 mil+ will be divided. If all 20 teams get some payout - if that payout is even .5 or 1% of the total it will be a massive opportunity for teams to stay together because the financial factors could be at least partially eased.

If the DK super team wins TI convincingly, I could see at least discussions of shuffle at the top to make even more "super" teams. Ala the big 3 in the NBA in miami.

It changes the dynamic of the dota scene a lot - if attending TI pays to the point that doing so allows players to categorize their year as successful. Only one team gets to win and it is no small feat to make the event.

Edit LOL
rrr_img_68206.jpg

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
The main thing about some of the highest profile western teams is that they have pretty good contracts - relative to SEA/CHN (if you arn't Tier 1). EG/Alliance/Fanatic/Na'vi - if these teams perform and give a good showing of the brand - I don't see the same need to reform. Now if you place in the bottom 4 or 8 of TI4, there may be motivation for teams best players to go elsewhere, but team/brand/financial stability are not an issue for these teams. Especially EG/Alliance/Na'vi all of these teams have leveraged the item shop for sets, have wide long sponsor lists and in general marketed very well.

The other factor is how this 8 mil+ will be divided. If all 20 teams get some payout - if that payout is even .5 or 1% of the total it will be a massive opportunity for teams to stay together because the financial factors could be at least partially eased.

If the DK super team wins TI convincingly, I could see at least discussions of shuffle at the top to make even more "super" teams. Ala the big 3 in the NBA in miami.

It changes the dynamic of the dota scene a lot - if attending TI pays to the point that doing so allows players to categorize their year as successful. Only one team gets to win and it is no small feat to make the event.
Navi/Alliance/DK/IG/Newbee have the incentive to shuffle rosters when they don't think the current lineup can win TI, it's simple as that. You can have a year where you don't have to worry whether you can afford food next week, or you can have a year where you buy a car, flat and pay for 4 years of university. The teams still pay peanuts compared to what winning TI is. Hell, that's what has been happening - Loda kicked EE from NTH because he didn't believe the lineup would be strong enough to compete at the top level, unless they could all speak their native language and while it looked insane because they just won DH winter 2012, he was probably right. Puppey did the same thing with Kuroky and Funn1k - one of the most experienced players in Dota and the single best offlaner in CIS. Again, he knew very well what he was doing.

It was pretty obvious DK was taking notes and Newbee is team created for similar objective.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Sure certainly, but not every team has a realistic opportunity to shuffle into a winning position - that's my point. I don't think there is any roster Liquid could create that could be an on paper best team in dota or even a legitimate threat to take TI5. The suggestion that every organization will attempt to shuffle into an allstar roster would be potentially quite destructive to the dota scene. If you could make 60k playing dota as a 40-80th best player would you? I'm certain that there are organizations that would be content with their team making the main event if it resulted in a paycheck for everyone. And at the prize pool level we are talking about how Valve cuts it up will be of direct influence on the amount of post TI volatility.

That's the one peice of the puzzle we don't know, If this prize pool passes 10 million dollars the top 8 teams could merely have the money divided among them and every team would take home what Alliance won last year. If 50% of this pool goes to the winners - what you suggest will certainly happen - the money is too big if you're even remotely close to the top of teams with the realistic possibility of winning next years tournament.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Rox.kis disband, said they would finish their matches, and then subsequently tried to fakenick in matches and were DQd. RIP RUSSIA

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Sure certainly, but not every team has a realistic opportunity to shuffle into a winning position - that's my point. I don't think there is any roster Liquid could create that could be an on paper best team in dota or even a legitimate threat to take TI5. The suggestion that every organization will attempt to shuffle into an allstar roster would be potentially quite destructive to the dota scene. If you could make 60k playing dota as a 40-80th best player would you? I'm certain that there are organizations that would be content with their team making the main event if it resulted in a paycheck for everyone. And at the prize pool level we are talking about how Valve cuts it up will be of direct influence on the amount of post TI volatility.

That's the one peice of the puzzle we don't know, If this prize pool passes 10 million dollars the top 8 teams could merely have the money divided among them and every team would take home what Alliance won last year. If 50% of this pool goes to the winners - what you suggest will certainly happen - the money is too big if you're even remotely close to the top of teams with the realistic possibility of winning next years tournament.
Yeah, sure basically the only teams that can put together a TI winning lineup are those I mentioned, unless a ragtag group of friends comes along that win through the sheer power of love and friendship, but last time I checked that doesn't even get you through qualifiers. It's not that different from BW in korea - there were maybe 4 teams with real shot at winning proleague unless one of the new players could run over everyone else (Jaedong and Oz), but the exposure through regular matches made it worth sponsoring them. If you just wanted TI exposure, you can easily buy a qualifying team in May and be done with it. In this aspect, I think LCS is a bit better.

Then again, to get some perspective, we are complaining that a team can win too much money...