DOTA 2

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Do you still have creative drafts when about 75% of the hero pool gets drafted regularly ?
Absolutely, why wouldn't you have creativity, its about the stage that you try something different. Just because the total hero pool is pickable by some team, doesn't mean all teams do creative things. Empire for example plays one style, and a small set of heroes. They aren't the only one. Alliance, they pick still to this day extremely similar lineups most of the time even though loda plays a pile of different carries the theme is the same. Style versatility and unexpected combinations exist, if teams pick those kind of lineups - especially when it matters most (TI). They definitely get to be called creative in those situations.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I know this is kind of obvious, but haven't seen it executed. I played Ember Spirit today with a mag on my team. Mag had empower on me and get a 4 man RP. 1 Sleight = ded team. It's DISGUSTING how strong that combo is.

I made a gif to show how disgusting the combo is. Bonus footage of Nutron playing the hardest support in the game, Warlock. The gif actually starts stuttering because of his high APM, was making the game lag.

Ok that's mean, he did get the cluth fatal bonds off.

ShortPrestigiousCattle.gif

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
The international has so many games and it is so important you can pretty much watch the meta evolve over the course of the tournament. After both TI2 and TI3 picks and strategies were hugely different afterwards compared to how they were going in. I wonder if a team this year will draw down with an 'unbeatable' strat executed to perfection like TI2 Chinese Morphling or TI3 Alliance Rat.

A point of interest: even if every game of dota ever played had a unique combination of heroes, we would only be something like 1% of the way through all of the possible combinations of just heroes, to say nothing of lane selection or role choice. Must be why the game stays so fresh after all this time.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I know this is kind of obvious, but haven't seen it executed. I played Ember Spirit today with a mag on my team. Mag had empower on me and get a 4 man RP. 1 Sleight = ded team. It's DISGUSTING how strong that combo is.

I made a gif to show how disgusting the combo is. Bonus footage of Nutron playing the hardest support in the game, Warlock. The gif actually starts stuttering because of his high APM, was making the game lag.

Remake gif, don't have axe selected so we can see your items. That just shows how silly Ember BF is. Since all of those strikes cleave everyone else in that kind of proximity, you can actually watch each ember jump cleave all 4.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm not remaking that shit, you could just ask me. I had Phase, Drums, Bottle, Crystalys, Demon Edge.

ohmgee_sl

shitlord

rrr_img_69951.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So I just started. Whats a good newbie character to get good with?
Generally, people recommend playing supports to start, or tanky chars. Easy to play supports would be Lich, Vengeful Spirit, Venomancer, Dazzle, Omniknight, Abaddon(last 2 are melee so kinda harder, but they're also tankier). For the tanky ones, Slardar, Spiritbreaker(not particularily a top pick but does fine in pub games), Bristleback, Tidehunter(also fits support).

Those are just some examples of relatively simple heroes to play, there's plenty more. At the end of the day, once you've played a few games, you'll probably want to either play every hero to see what they're about(highly recommend bot games for that though) or to find a hero you really like and just play him over and over to at least get good at one thing.

There's a chatroom with people from here I believe, not too sure what's it under nowadays, rerolled or foh, can try adding people from steam and they'll telll you. You probably want to play bots for a little while, they're pretty dumb and annoying to play against but it's nice to learn the basics. Also if you're into it, there's a lot of stuff you can research while not playing. The dota2 reddit on the sidebar has a lot of useful links(the reddit itself is shit and is mostly memes and competitive matches results).

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Viper, 2 skills, easy lasthitting with the passive, good solo kill potential.

Kunkka - king of the lane with tidebringer and once you learn how to pull off boat+torrent+X combo reliably, you will be able to get a lot of solo kills

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Sutekh ya famous bro. That gif has inspired me to force the carry on our team to start playing ES.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
there's a mode you can que for that limits the pool to newbie friendly hero's, also id recommended to do a couple bot matches with a hero to learn basics before joining team games.

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
I'd random and repick if you get any of these heroes:

Earth Spirit
Wisp
Elder Titan
Phoenix
Tusk
Morphling
Phantom Lancer
Templar Assassin
Ember Spirit
Broodmother
Meepo
Puck
Storm Spirit
Tinker
Enchantress
Chen
Rubick
Skywrath Mage
Enigma
Pugna
Invoker
Visage

You'll get a new hero every time and learn the game much faster than if you stick to a handful of "easy" heroes. Just starting out, the best thing you can do to improve your game is figuring out who all the heroes are and what they are capable of. Without knowing the basics of that, you have no chance of making good decisions.

You will also get a better idea of what hero suits your play style. Few people are equally good at everything. Certain heroes reward passive behavior, others reward aggressive behavior. Some reward farming, others reward ganking. The list goes on. Get some games in and figure out what naturally suits you.

After you have a few hundred games in, give the heroes I listed a shot. The reason you shouldn't try them right away is because they are unusually complicated/hard to play and will distract you from learning other aspects of the game. After a while, you will have a good idea of what they do without playing, and you can give them a shot without spending most of the game trying to figure wtf you are supposed to do.

Good luck.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
If you're queueing solo, play whatever you want, in whatever lane you want. There is no reason to limit yourself because you are afraid you won't play well enough. That's the entire point of matchmaking. You also have so much to learn that every game will teach you something. Don't be discouraged by the amount of people who quit games on you early on as they are trying dota out for the first time as well, and suffice to say that not everyone makes it through many games with players because the game is a bit hardcore. We have a rerolled in game dota guild, with all spread of skill in it. If you queue with friends who have a higher skill level than you or just more familiar with the game - that's when you pick a high impact simple support with good spells like those listed in posts above.

The main thing I would suggest is fine what you enjoy the most and do more of that. Dota is definitely about finding what you like as it caters to all kinds of play styles.

Cybsled

Try heroes and dont limit yourself. You may find that an advanced hero clicks with you more than an "easy hero".

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
I think the list of Heros gmstbla posted is a great list of Heros you should practice with against the computer several times before you try them against real opponents if you ever get to that point. The ones he didn't list you can pretty much figure out on the fly.

I'd also add that you can look up skill and items builds in game that will tell you suggested items and skill builds for every character. Awesome thing for newer players that don't know all the items and abilities. When you first start the game in the upper left there is an icon of a book. Click on that and you can pick some community builds for various roles. A lot of them even have helpful information about when to use certain abilities and why/when the items they suggest are useful.