DOTA 2

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The NA meta was so passive it was downright weird.
Someone on Reddit said they play passive as shit cause NA is so cancer when they play in leagues and shit they just abandon/call gg whenever someone dies early so they're used to playing super safe so they can actually play games longer than 5mins, and they keep that mindset when they play pro. Probably bullshit but I found the explanation funny.

NA games were definitely mostly terrible though, it was like chinese farming, but with worse skills. Shittier farming, shittier teamfights.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Its probably bs, but I can say back when NA FPL was going on it was painful as hell to watch. Almost everyone was an asshole in those games and exactly what you mention happened all the time. Almost no one likes him but you could just watch BSJ get constantly shit on by Ixmike, Demon, Mason, Rtz, etc while they were all shitting on each other. Its a miracle the league even lasted as long as it did.

Conversely watching the Euro FPL while it was up was almost completely differential.

Can't remember the actual name of those leagues, just using FPL as a catch all. Whatever the one where you were invited. NEL? ixdl?

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
NEL and IXDL, ixmike sold it to Faceit or something, which was probably the smartest thing he has ever done.

You can see people like EE play on EU west since it's much less of a shitshow. I recall playing with some rerolled folks and then not changing the region back to euw and wondering why my games were so bad... I think it's just lack of practice, Dota past 60 minutes is uncharted territory unless you have been playing for ages, which combined with high stakes makes you extremely risk averse. It exists in almost any competitive game - once your play and the idea about how the match is going gets completely derailed, you often need to stop a bit mentally and think about what to do next. If you have good captain he can just keep you going with his calls that you follow, but of course there are very few of those. EU/CIS gets around it with well practiced early game - you limit the amount of possibilities by going full ham and either it works or it doesn't and certain heroes are staples of any push lineup.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
My recollection is post-large patches push lineups tend to be much more prevalent and disappear as the patch gets figured out. (Then suddenly re-appear late @ TI4.... heh)

Looks like DC isn't going to be going to the majors again.

Kotlguy can't help but be a fucking idiot any time he opens his mouth.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Sucks we've been under attack since Starladder kicked off. Has been some crazy games. Alliance got very 'lucky' with how their rearranged matches played out.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I got to watch the EG v Alliance match last night. It was a fun one. Alliance had a great draft and took a pretty commanding lead from the start. After a couple high ground defenses, EG wiped them and went straight up the middle for Alliances throne. The plowed the tier 3, skipped the barrack's, knocked down the tier 4's fast, and started on the throne. Everyone from Alliance at that point bought back or TP'd and put up a successful defense. The game wasn't that close, but everyone from Alliance had to be holding their breathe when they nearly let the game get torn from them. Fun times.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Sucks we've been under attack since Starladder kicked off. Has been some crazy games. Alliance got very 'lucky' with how their rearranged matches played out.
I didn't watch any of them, but its super weird how they lost to the easier teams and beat all 3 difficult teams.

Secret is reminding me a bit of Cloud 9, they always seem to make the game super hard on themselves.

The VP vs Vega game was a bit ridiculous, how many games in recent months have we seen where ember is able defend high-ground indefinitely and get crazy farmed.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
If you want to go full assumption mode you can look at it like:

Alliance were tired and stressed due to their flight delays, being removed from the tournament mid travel, then being added back after 'reasons' but with their modified schedule. So instead of play EG and LGD on day one they got to play Spirit and Na'Vi. But on no sleep and straight off the plane.

By the next day they had to play EG and LGD but now both of those teams had locked their spots to the next round. And then you get even more conspiracy and say LGD and EG didn't care about the match. That's why you got a jungle Elder Titan and a Sumail Sandking.

But none of that mattes because Alliance are back!!

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Clicking around on the BTS youtube channel I realized I did watch the Alliance vs Na'vi match, its interesting that na`vi banned NP, LD, DS, Brood as their first four haha. Just ban out bulldog
wink.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I hadn't thought about it but Void shits all over Zeus now. Dilation is basically a big fuck you to Zeus, can't do anything if you get hit other than buying a BKB to remove it.

Julian The Apostate

Vyemm Raider
AM, qop Bristle back, puck, and zues are the 5 Heros I think time dilation fucks the hardest. Qop and zues can also have a huge amount of burst negated with time walk.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Secret just destroyed Alliance in g1. I wonder if they will even pick LD in the rest of the series.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
AM, qop Bristle back, puck, and zues are the 5 Heros I think time dilation fucks the hardest. Qop and zues can also have a huge amount of burst negated with time walk.
It doesn't move quill stacks does it? Lion & Lina. But this was all true with the old void, I recall at TI4 void backtracking big nukes /shrug. I guess the new one is more skill based in both directions, void can save to dodge spells and opponents can save skills until after he's used it.

Secret totally outplayed Alliance, I was surprised everyone favoured the Alliance draft. To me it seemed as soon as they got past the early-mid game Alliance only had the bear. /shrug