DOTA 2

Ridas

Pay to play forum
VP is my favourite team right now. Their early aggression is so much fun to watch. The execution and individual plays are mind blowing.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So apparently, the way to beat Siltbreaker is to spend an hour in the first area mindlessly farming shit. You are probably not going to be strong enough to survive the other areas unless you bore yourself to death in area 1. Feelsbadman.

Needless

Toe Sucker
VP is full of babbbies though, why are all russians in dota prone to crying and babyraging on reddit and twitter? hahah

I don't think you need to? unless you just want to cheese it and go Midas off the bat and just run around midasing off cooldown for an hour lol

I like the team we got to the omni knight bosses, it was pretty easy i think

Tiny, WD, Lina, Drow

Tiny being able to run through shit made the ogre area way easier

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
Is it just me, or are the observers at Epicenter not doing a good job of clicking on heroes so you can see itemization. I think 20-minutes after LD got radiance I still haven't seen it on the bear let alone anything else he has.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Whoever's doing camera work for Epicenter is pretty shit in general, misses a bunch of kills and what not. I'm not too sure who it is, if they're using the russian obs stream or whatever but yeah it's a lot sloppier than most usual tournaments.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
They were using the Russian obvs a couple of days ago and there was also a ton of directed camera, I chalked it up to group stage crap. I didn't see anyone listed on the US talent announcement but I'd have to imagine Pipmuckl is there to manage the Layerth stuff.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
There's something obnoxious about Russian personalities to the average American. I really like VPs playstyle, especially when they are absolutely crushing other teams, but I cannot really get behind being a real 'fan'. Not sure if the True Sight depiction of them was accurate or skewed, but regardless, it also certainly doesn't help their image as anything but a bunch of foul mouthed negative cunts.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
They were using the Russian obvs a couple of days ago and there was also a ton of directed camera, I chalked it up to group stage crap. I didn't see anyone listed on the US talent announcement but I'd have to imagine Pipmuckl is there to manage the Layerth stuff.

I heard Toby or LD mention something about Russian obs for the stream - I would assume its a cost saving measure, while there is value to having the obs hear the casters the tournament organizer would save not only on observers but also avoid duplicating much of the team producing the video stream. Seems like a no-brainer if you can cut on those costs by 1/2 to 2/3 by dropping english & chinese.

There's something obnoxious about Russian personalities to the average American. I really like VPs playstyle, especially when they are absolutely crushing other teams, but I cannot really get behind being a real 'fan'. Not sure if the True Sight depiction of them was accurate or skewed, but regardless, it also certainly doesn't help their image as anything but a bunch of foul mouthed negative cunts.

I think it stems from the emphasis on toughness that we've dropped in the west. It doesn't seem universal when you look at players like Dendi or fng though - both those guys always came off great.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I think it stems from the emphasis on toughness that we've dropped in the west. It doesn't seem universal when you look at players like Dendi or fng though - both those guys always came off great.

It's those damn gays in San Francisco making the West so soft. Make America hard again!

But for real, you're right. I speak Russian and my family is married into a Russian family so I pick up on the subtleties of the linguistics around the sarcasm and filthy expressions which are much more harsh when translated into English, but 90% of the time it is way overblown masculinity in the culture that turns toxic when brought into a competitive light. I understand not everyone is going to be a flowery team like OG, but even if you look at EG who is top tier and constantly under extreme pressure to perform well, they consistently remain calm and even make jokes while playing competitive matches. VP is just whiny and they finger point blame ALL the time, at their fellow team mates and enemy teams alike. Not fun to root for a bunch of assholes. Dendi is a great example of an excellent play with a stand up guy personality. I've seen him go out of his way for fans too, which most eSports guys are pretty good about.

We have yet to really see the super super superstar personalities that consistently pull in millions of dollars a year and have extremely asshole personal traits as well, and I suppose DoTA being such a team oriented game helps curb that a bit. However with the high level of competition now available for the sport, I don't think it's too long until we see a Conor McGregor style personality emerge, granted someone has enough skill to back it up. Someone like Sumail, who is maybe the best DoTA player in the world right now, could totally act that way but you just don't see it. I think a lot of these players being extremely young is also a factor -many of them are overwhelmingly socially under developed as well, and just happenes to be prodigious game players from a young age.

eSports and DoTA more specifically is just such an interesting and complex development of the sports world, I love it. In 10 years I cannot even imagine how good shit is going to be.

Last edited:

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Jesus christ that Oracle play on Cr1t was bananas. EG got mad after Game 1, and gave em a slap in Game 2. We got ourselves a series boys!

Mao

Trakanon Raider
I've haven't watched all the games, but it seems to me that Bristle is a little overpowered this patch. This current game. Even without the CM backing him up he just seems to soak way to much damage while returning it with quills compared to the rest of the team.