DOTA 2

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cybsled

Stagnation of Playerbase is a bigger threat to viability. Most pro players come from the general public, “pubstars” and the like. If you don’t get new blood, then eventually the pro scene stagnates. Dota2 pros who were in their teens are now approaching their 30s. The game is deep, but has a huge barrier for entry and MOBAS aren’t the hot shit they used to be.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

It's definitely not at it's peak anymore and tends to tick up around new patches, while losing a good bit post TI. To claim it's a dead game while they are still making massive amounts of money and only behind CS:GO (which has surged massively over the last couple of years) on Steam is foolish.
Yeah that's fair. I think the game being in run-off would be a better description. Can't imagine they're bringing in many new players at this point.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Yeah that's fair. I think the game being in run-off would be a better description. Can't imagine they're bringing in many new players at this point.

Yea I don't think they've been bringing in new blood for quite a long time. FPS/BR are where it's at now and there's really no turning back from that.

And Cyb I agree that stagnation is bad, but as long as Puppey, Kuroky, Notail, and Arteezy teams are around people will tune in. I think once people like that start to leave the it's the beginning of the end of the competitive scene. Most of those dudes have been playing since like 2005 and may just never quit if they keep winning like they do(minus Rtz).

Cybsled

Arteezy is the youngest out of all those listed (23). Puppey is 30 and Kuroky/Notail are late 20s. That was around the age people were calling Fear 'old man'. Just like in pro sports, you're going to see a lot of drop off once people start nearing that threshold.

I do agree that you need big names with big skill to sustain a healthy pro scene, because that is what draws viewers in. Younger players like Sumail can energize the scene, but they eventually age out as well. I think the Western scene will continue to stagnate and the game still continue to rely upon CIS, SEA, and SA regions for new talent.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Because of this stupid drama that a vast majority of dota players don't know or care about? Or because people dump truckloads of money into Gabe's bank account every year for a battle pass they put nearly no development time into? Almost every feature is copy and pasted from years past and people still eat it up. The prize pool for a LAN that isn't even scheduled because of covid is at $20,000,000 (valve's cut being the other $60,000,000) and the funding period just hit the half way mark. Until you see the support start to dwindle i can't see it dying anytime soon.

Dota is one of those games most players never truly quit if you got pass the initial learning curve and weren't scooped up by LOL
My point being a lot of people watch it for the pro scene. With all this shit, no one's going to want to watch DOTA anymore. And that will spell the death of the game.

Pointing out the battle pass for this year when the news is 2 days old is disingenuous. Let's see how the next few majors go.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
it for the pro scene. With all this shit, no one's going to want to watch DOTA anymore. And that will spell the death of the game.

Pointing out the battle pass for this year when the news is 2 days old is disingenuous. Let's see how the next few majors go.

The reality is the enthusiasm will take a major hit, and the soul of the game is gutted.

Its peaked, might take 5 or 10 years to really taper off, but this mass purge event isnt likely to be overcome.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

If anything, it at least opens up the opportunity for other people to try to fill the talent vacuum left behind. The B Squad becomes the A squad and newer people can try their hand at the B squad.

• 1Faggotry

goishen

Macho Ma'am
Yeh, I mean... Meh. I could just fuckall difference of people telling me how to play a game. That's what this comes down to. If I have to visit someplace on the internet vs. SomeRandoGuy and play it exactly as he describes, the game is just no fun for me.

Sure, I've been playing it a lot recently. But that's against bots, and even that shit has gotten stale.

nu_11

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I haven’t played in like 2 months. I’m pretty over it.

There’s only so many times i can deal with my teammates throwing the game. As far as I can tell, in the Ancient/Divine bracket, you’re better off as support NOT winning the early game. When you decisively win the early game, for some reason your cores go full retard and think the game is over. So they get overconfident and do some real stupid shit that leads to you losing the mid game. There’s NEGATIVE benefit to supports securing the early game.

I used to play solo offline but when the meta returned offlane + support I was done with it. I’m sick of support who don’t know how to play offlane and either just suck XP or end up feeding. I used to have 65% WR as solo offlane enigma...

Last edited:

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I have been working through the Cavern Crawl in the battle pass. Last year I 100% it, even after getting all the hero sets and styles unlocked.

I found out that there are essentially two Cavern Crawls this year. All three wings have a key, that when you collect each of them you can click to unlocked a 2nd map. Don't think I'll be able to 100% two maps this year.

• 1Like

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I have been working through the Cavern Crawl in the battle pass. Last year I 100% it, even after getting all the hero sets and styles unlocked.

I found out that there are essentially two Cavern Crawls this year. All three wings have a key, that when you collect each of them you can click to unlocked a 2nd map. Don't think I'll be able to 100% two maps this year.

Given the weird state of the world, the pass might be extended months in the fall.

Cybsled

Looks like TI10 in Sweeden will be no go. With this being on such short notice, I would have to guess that Ukraine or Romania would probably rise to the top of probable places to hold it. They literally just had the AniMajor in Ukraine a week ago.

• 1Rustled

Cybsled

I had to look it up...you're serious. LOL. Look I get wanting to send a message, but that is just such a shitty name. That is like naming a stadium "sustainable fishing arena" or "Reduce Waste Arena".

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
OK landing on this game, going to put the 300 hours in if anyone wants to roll with me while I get good hit me up. Been watching this dude: