DOTA 2

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord
TA is probably my best hero. Feel free to watch my recent games with her to get an idea of the playstyle. If you have any specific questions let me know.

Don't go blink on her imo. It's 2150g with zero stats. You'd be halfway to a deso, which allows you to two shot most supports if you get it before 20 min (I usually aim for 15-16 min as a "good" timing for it). It also gives you the temptation to jump in and initiate which you should NOT be doing as TA. You really want to watch the dot/stun spells fly and THEN go in as a TA. She is surprisingly squishy without refraction up. Trap is enough for chasing in low level games. If you really feel like you're missing kills then go a yasha afterwards for even more chase.
Dota is a game of positioning. I don't know what level you're playing at, but a blink dagger is essential. Blink into Meld/Strike is huge, and it can be used defensively or offensively. There are rare cases where you might, MIGHT go BKB first if there's heavy man-fighting, but not getting a blink is 3k shit play.

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lots of pros arent getting it these days, so not sure what you're basing that on. Just because pros go blink on drow, doesnt mean your average 3.5k player should.

I disagree 100% that it is core, situational for sure.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Dota is a game of positioning. I don't know what level you're playing at, but a blink dagger is essential. Blink into Meld/Strike is huge, and it can be used defensively or offensively. There are rare cases where you might, MIGHT go BKB first if there's heavy man-fighting, but not getting a blink is 3k shit play.
This! Deso first then if they are stun/disable heavy BKB then Blink. Shouldn't really skip on the blink, with the no mana cost for blink it has become pretty much core with every single hero in the game, mobility, positioning and escape

Cyni

Lord Nagafen Raider
I bet if I watch his replays , he is rushing blink, and jumping in to fights he has no business being in the middle of in the mid-game, without any dmg items.

If you're not familiar with the hero, then dont fucking go blink first is all i'm saying. You really DON'T need it if you have a level/item advantage, in low level games especially.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Blink really handy if you get caught out and need to meld->escape->meld.... you become much more aware of how many heroes have aoe/non-targetted shit playing TA.

Also I learned Zeus's shit gives true sight now.. when the fuck did that happen?

Prob gonna go deso first to finish this damn hero out, I need to get farming going to pub stomp. Should take care of problems for me.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Zeus always gave true sight, or at least as far as I remember. The change is you can now lightning bolt the ground so you get it on demand, while before you needed a valid target to lightning bolt to reveal an area(and it'd reveal around the target, so not necessarily where you wanted). It makes it impossible to high ground ward against zeus efficiently(best you can do is ward your own side and hope he doesn't check) and he can easily clear common ward spots once he has the mana to spare. Also lets you ligthning bolt someone who went invis to reveal him.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Well, to be fair in this game with carries you usually go one damage item and one defensive item (if you don't have a getaway ability like Blink on AM or invis), in the case of TA you go Deso then BKB, you could go Blink before BKB because it provides very good positioning for meld hit and escape with meld blink. You go deso first because on TA with refraction at lower levels it melts any support and does a shitload of damage to anybody else.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Blink is insanely good item, I think some games from the EU qual playoffs illustrated that nicely - Mouz heroes were going blink or midas first almost always. You can't put price tag on mobility unlike any other stat or item in the game.

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
I always look at items from the perspective of "what can this let me do that I couldn't do before." Blink dagger gives most heroes the ability to chase, farm and move around the map faster, escape, and position yourself in ways you otherwise couldn't. It's an extremely versatile and powerful item, particularly now that it costs no mana to use. Stats are great and all, but how many times have we all seen a stacked hero melt because he got surrounded? Its a common occurrence because at the end of the day stats are useless if you're not in the right position to make use of them.

Who is stronger at level 10, a TA with a mithril hammer or a TA with a blink dagger? It's not even remotely close. Sure, if you're in a low level game where everyone is content to sit in lane and farm until 20 minutes+, maybe rush the deso. But that doesn't happen in games with better players. In higher level games need to be actively killing people and a blink dagger makes than 10x easier than half a deso.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Ya Zaphid but I'm looking at this from the stand point of I'm gonna win my lane, break the tower and farm jungle then pub stomp :p. Prob even go crystalys for that then deso then blink.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I think there is a bit more game specific decision making more than just blink is always good on TA. Yes blink is amazing - without a doubt. On TA I think you should be way more discerning of your item choices based on what the enemy lineup/your teams lineup. Phase/Drums/Yasha/Magic Wand/Bottle/ is an amazing early set of items for TA for the gold, outside of heroes with natural escapes (leaps) - you can walk down anyone with the movespeed + trap. You're also tankier, and faster than most heroes.

If the enemy team has silences or has/is building orchid - manta first can really sustain you in teamfights with some offensive stats. You need to know who on the opposing team has refraction stripping skills and who doesn't. Did they build an urn to counter you and are they using charges on you? Do they have heroes with dots?

Refraction is a a 17 second cooldown and lasts for 17 seconds if the instances are not used. A very simple tip is whenever you think you might be jumped, or before you jump in on someone is to precast refraction. Look for the ideal situation, where all the charges of refraction can be used - ideally the cooldown will cycle and you will have twice as many damage instances in a small 15 second window to really walk over the enemy.

Buy blink instead of the yasha, if the enemy has heroes that you can blow up in the current game state or if you need blink to successfully run them down in a chasing scenario. Buy blink if you need to get on a back line hero or to gap close in a way that shuts down an opposition hero. The talk of blink slark sets the stage. Sniper/Drow are heroes that a blink dagger on TA can abuse - and that you might need to abuse them. If magic damage really is an overwhelming issue - work the bkb in earlier. Blink can also be the overwhelmingly right choice if your team lacks a legitimate initiator or if you need to stay out of some big AOES and position yourself on the flanks or from behind as a teamfight breaks out.

The hero is really flexibile and with proper item choice gets way stronger. A great deal of TA play mid in the pro scene also revolves around midas first as well.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think there is a bit more game specific decision making more than just blink is always good on TA. Yes blink is amazing - without a doubt. On TA I think you should be way more discerning of your item choices based on what the enemy lineup/your teams lineup. Phase/Drums/Yasha/Magic Wand/Bottle/ is an amazing early set of items for TA for the gold, outside of heroes with natural escapes (leaps) - you can walk down anyone with the movespeed + trap. You're also tankier, and faster than most heroes.

If the enemy team has silences or has/is building orchid - manta first can really sustain you in teamfights with some offensive stats. You need to know who on the opposing team has refraction stripping skills and who doesn't. Did they build an urn to counter you and are they using charges on you? Do they have heroes with dots?

Refraction is a a 17 second cooldown and lasts for 17 seconds if the instances are not used. A very simple tip is whenever you think you might be jumped, or before you jump in on someone is to precast refraction. Look for the ideal situation, where all the charges of refraction can be used - ideally the cooldown will cycle and you will have twice as many damage instances in a small 15 second window to really walk over the enemy.

Buy blink instead of the yasha, if the enemy has heroes that you can blow up in the current game state or if you need blink to successfully run them down in a chasing scenario. Buy blink if you need to get on a back line hero or to gap close in a way that shuts down an opposition hero. The talk of blink slark sets the stage. Sniper/Drow are heroes that a blink dagger on TA can abuse - and that you might need to abuse them. If magic damage really is an overwhelming issue - work the bkb in earlier. Blink can also be the overwhelmingly right choice if your team lacks a legitimate initiator or if you need to stay out of some big AOES and position yourself on the flanks or from behind as a teamfight breaks out.

The hero is really flexibile and with proper item choice gets way stronger. A great deal of TA play mid in the pro scene also revolves around midas first as well.
If you're not going the bottle/phase/blink/deso build, I wouldn't go Phase with Drums/Yasha, I'd usually go treads with Drums Yasha you're less likely to be initating fights and more likely to be farming / TPing into to help fights, so the attack speed, toggling, et. al. allow for a better farming TA plus it allows you to transition better into the late game.

Especially if your carry sucks at farming:http://dotabuff.com/matches/618793544

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
Zaphid, bro, did you forget we have a fantasy league?! Stop giving away free wins you fucking feeder.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Zaphid, bro, did you forget we have a fantasy league?! Stop giving away free wins you fucking feeder.
Yeah, well, exams. I haven't turned on dota for the last 4 days ...

Also, I thought the league name gave away my level of interest.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Can anyone quickly explain why in this MVP.P vs Invasion game the first bans were Pugna, Viper, Ember Spirit, Batrider? 3/4 of those I don't think I've seen banned since I've started back up to watching DOTA. Is it an Asian meta deal?