DOTA 2

Hake_sl

shitlord
EE reminds me of Naniwa. C9 have amazing individual skill talents, but you can see these guys are not friends / go on tilt super easily. Very good final in any case.

Luthair

Lord Nagafen Raider
The troll aegis deny wasn't even a good play as much as it was a fuckup by eternalautism. The thing just chilled on the ground there for like 3 seconds, mind boggling how pros can let that happen.
I don't understand all the Envy hate (maybe some envy? haha) - we don't know anything about the internal team dynamic, a lot of games sing will take the aegis if you want to blame someone blame someone who wasn't involved in the decision or pickup for not being in position to watch and/or stop .

Not banning natures prophet is dumb. C9 is dumb.
And give them bat or lycan or treant protector or wisp, etc. You can't ban out everything that said I do have a sinking feeling that TI will be decided once again by the same handful of heroes and dire side.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I didnt' think Envy played bad at all, he usually gets caught out way more than he did. I think it was Pieliedie that made most of the mistakes, especially when he played silencer.

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Scepter is such a garbage pickup on him in the early game, especially in the 3500 range, no one knows how/when to use early buy backs. Mek would be infinitely better.
Yeah, now that I read about it more, I can see where the damage increase isn't that huge. I have had a couple of specific moments where it did help us win the game against overfarmed carries, though. You're probably right, though, about it overall not being worth it.

tried the veil of discord instead of the scepter? cheaper and bit more team friendly if you have a couple other casters.
That's an item I think I've bought, like, one time, on any hero, as long as I've been playing this game.

I do buy mek occasionally, depending if the other support buys one of course.

Considering at my current shitty MMR I'm running with a 70+ percent winrate as necro, I'm pretty happy with what I'm doing, but I definitely want to stay efficient and on top as I go back up again. I never play Bloodstone necro either, so maybe I should try that.

I have bought shiva's guard a few times recently (again, not sure if it was worth it, but it worked in my shit MMR.)

http://dotabuff.com/heroes/necrophos

Boots of travel / bloodstone are the two most winning items according to that, if that means anything.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
The troll aegis deny wasn't even a good play as much as it was a fuckup by eternalautism. The thing just chilled on the ground there for like 3 seconds, mind boggling how pros can let that happen.
He was blocked by the eidolons

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man I need to get my ass in gear to get my bonus battle points to actually get high enough level for ranked MM

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The new format is a lot more brutal, teams are eliminated right away after the preliminaries, so that makes these matches very important, and they're bo1 against each teams as opposed to bo2 against half the teams(split into 2groups). I think there might be some upsets because of the way it's designed and a lot of teams might play shit strats over and over to try to bank on the bo1 format(like 5man push all day everyday).

Also in theory a wild card team might have to play 30matches in 6days to get into the main event(assuming they play all games in bo3). Gonna be rough for them hehe.

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
I like that Valve isn't afraid to experiment with different formats. It helps keep the event fresh and really, you don't get see non-standard tournaments in many other places. I also don't mind cutting the fat after the group stages. Last year no one in the bottom six of the groups scored a win in the main event (against a non-bottom six team), and in TI2 only one team did it. Il'l trade that track record for full BO3s in the lower bracket.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I like that Valve isn't afraid to experiment with different formats. It helps keep the event fresh and really, you don't get see non-standard tournaments in many other places. I also don't mind cutting the fat after the group stages. Last year no one in the bottom six of the groups scored a win in the main event (against a non-bottom six team), and in TI2 only one team did it. Il'l trade that track record for full BO3s in the lower bracket.
I still think it sucks to go to TI and not even get to play in a booth in front of audience and having your life decided in BO1s with pretty glaring side imbalance + first pick/second pick on top of that will be a bit weird. It obviously favors some teams more than others (Navi in bottom 8? ...) however the stats from past years don't lie and trimming the fat would probably be beneficial for the quality of the main event.

Tenks

I still think it sucks to go to TI and not even get to play in a booth in front of audience and having your life decided in BO1s with pretty glaring side imbalance + first pick/second pick on top of that will be a bit weird. It obviously favors some teams more than others (Navi in bottom 8? ...) however the stats from past years don't lie and trimming the fat would probably be benefitial for the quality of the main event.
Fair doesn't always mean exciting. Bo1's with your tournament life in the balance makes for dramatic and meaningful games in a less-than-meaningful (for the audience) part of the tournament.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
Fair doesn't always mean exciting. Bo1's with your tournament life in the balance makes for dramatic and meaningful games in a less-than-meaningful (for the audience) part of the tournament.
Except that you will probably end up with games of teams who are already 100% out vs those who still have a chance and so on - it happened both in starladder and TI qualifiers. Who you play first and last can have big impact. They should change round robin into something like swiss system at least. There will also be 3-5 games going on simultaneously, it's pretty hard to make that shit exciting, especially when the most interesting games come when viewer fatigue sets in hardcore.

Tenks

Except that you will probably end up with games of teams who are already 100% out vs those who still have a chance and so on - it happened both in starladder and TI qualifiers. Who you play first and last can have big impact. They should change round robin into something like swiss system at least. There will also be 3-5 games going on simultaneously, it's pretty hard to make that shit exciting, especially when the most interesting games come when viewer fatigue sets in hardcore.
You can argue that with many things as well. Heck even in the World Cup USA is hoping Germany already has their advancement wrapped up so they just phone it in where we expect to be on the cusp of advancement. If you played Germany first they would care about the game more. I like Valve is doing something else other than your standard bo3 seeded double elim bracket thateverytournament does these days.

gmstbfla_sl

shitlord
Those are good points. A good idea might be to give a $2,000 purse for each win in the group stages. That gives an incentive to keep playing, even after you've been eliminated/secured your placement. It also helps distribute a little bit of performance-based money to the lower ranked teams without doing much to the overall prize pool.

It's difficult to make the group stages exciting when there are so many games and you can't really tell before-hand which one will be the clincher. I think that's why they added in the "playoff" stage before the main event. The group stages provide an advantage to teams who do well, but the final seedings are still determined in a do-or-die setting.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I'm just glad the main event will not feature bo1 on stage. As far as the round robin format - I don't mind it so much because everyone plays everyone first of all, and second we're talking about an 10 million dollar prize pool. Do you really want to be the team that has eyes on them for throwing games because they were out? Consequences of community backlash, or a ban from attending future TI events are all possible. I'm skeptical of the dota community being all that wise in its rigging skills. There is no referee to play an integral part of the system like in traditional sports. Referee's in major sports are often the most important part of any kind of rigging scheme. Dota doesn't have that specific dynamic so any throws or less than trying your best will be the actions of the player(s) themselves.

The fact that top 2 get seeded past an entire stage means the top of the table is going to tryhard like crazy. This format also gives them a method to distribute the prize pool. I believe it signals that the bottom 6 teams are going to get paid the same amount, and the format justifies this simply because every team played every team (unlike previous years groups). They then tier out the rest of the tournament with double eliminations, that are directly tied to your group stage performance. If you place 7/8/9/10th your tournament life is not yet stable, you have 1 extra bo3 to stave off complete elimination. If you place 6th-3rd you guarantee your main event life even if its in the lower bracket.

Basically - the group stage is a whole lot more than just not being in the bottom 6, you want to be in the top 2, will tolerate the top 6, and 7-10th are simply a last chance to survive. I am having a hard time brainstorming a better format that fits the time. You cannot have every team play each other in a bo2 group stage. That is way too much fucking dota, way too much. That's already 15 games per team.

I think there is reasonable incentive for every team to fight. They only thing unmentioned is that there could be a base payout for 11-16th (lets say 50k) and then you get 5k/group stage win. There is enough money that a payout like this would not be unreasonable to the prize distribution - and basically having games be at worst a 5k money match for those 11-16th place teams? Is that enough incentive to not even have an inkling of throwing meaningless (to their team) games? I don't think teams that make the top 10/8 really need any incentive as the increase in value of placing higher is pretty much off the chart. They would never trade places with the bottom 6 teams because they could win 5k but not make the following stages.

:Edit I think the group stage is going to provide a hell of a lot more meaningful drama than people expect. We rarely get 1 gigantic group of this size in any tournament setting where the games are resolved over the course of just a few days. Sure Starladder has mega groups of players playing from home or at a team house across months. But that is nothing like what this TI group stage will be like. And its not like we've got the tier 3 russian teams sitting at the bottom of the table. Even though there are favorites - this is fucking TI, there is a LOT of teams trying to get there. We can argue the quality of the prelims certainly, but you can't argue that this isn't damn close to the best 20 teams in dota outside of swapping the very bottom teams for yet more t2 chinese teams. Which would defeat the point of this being the international.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah gonna be fun regardless, and it's a good point about the prize for these 6 teams, it would be acceptable for them to get some money, if anything, and then elimination in the prelims wouldn't appear to be as bad.

Anyway, that's a lot of dota yeah.