DOTA 2

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
That arcana vote. Does everyone who bought a compendium get the winning heroes arcana or is it just who valve makes it for next?

Elerion

N00b
Timing makes sense for their two most profitable markets, US and Europe. Both can watch it while awake, even though it crashes with work hours in the US. Weird that they don't have the grand finals on a weekend though, that would improve viewer numbers a lot.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
If you wanted to maximize viewers youd have it around 1pm sat or sun then everyone would be able to watch

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not to mention Valve is currently using $100 as toilet paper in their Seattle office after how much cash the DOTA2 community gave them for TI

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Total Prize Amount $10,296,180
1st - $4,736,243 (46%)
2nd - $1,389,984 (13%)
3rd - $978,137 (9%)
4th - $772,214 (7%)
5/6th - $617,771 (6%)
7/8th - $489,069 (5%)
9/10th - $46,333 (0.4%)
11/12th - $36,037 (0.3%)
13/14th - $20,592 (0.2%)

Source:Dota 2 - Overview - The International

Better, I would have liked a bit more to the bottom, but playing for 3 million dollars on one bo5 is pretty much insanity. The loser will feel crushed? and then Win 1.4 million. This is definitely winning esports, granted taxes, team cuts and other things, but that's approaching a million bucks a player - Dota players are going to be all over the top 10 Esports money list.

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just got around to watching the grand finals of DK vs Newbee VGT series. GG Burning Naga game 3, bulldog would be proud of that Master Splinter rat dota'ing.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So 2teams go back with nothing, that's kinda harsh. Especially since taking like 10k out of the higher prize pool and having the last 2 get 5k each, wouldn't really change much. On the other hand do like that even down to #8 you still get a massive amount of money. Means teams won't just give up too early because they can't make it high enough, going from 9 to 8 is a fucking retarded jump and even going from 8 to 6 is a big jump.

Cybsled

1st place getting 46% = wat.

Don't get me wrong, 1st place definitely needs a big prize, but it seems like they could have trimmed a bit there and made 2nd place a tad richer and also shared a little wealth with the bottom dudes.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
I'm not impressed with that decision either cyb, there are what 19 teams at the international counting the 4 playins? I'm not sure why 19-15 couldn't have received something for making it through the qualifiers. Honestly, half a million bucks and the bottom teams all get a shit load of money divided, and the winner still takes 4.2 (and growing)

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Beaten to it, amazing stuff. Marketing genius great items. There are some great pieces of art - more than half of the items in the catalog are community submitted. That's pretty intense.

Spoiler Free
rrr_img_70602.jpg

NFL Redzone Style
rrr_img_70603.jpg

Newbies - This is an absolutely brilliant idea.
rrr_img_70604.jpg

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I can't believe they aren't holding finals on a weekend. This is the first decision by valve that really miffed me off

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I can't believe they aren't holding finals on a weekend. This is the first decision by valve that really miffed me off
Well Dreamhack does that too and I've seen it done in other tournaments, it's definitely weird though especially since they could have started a day earlier and still have 3days downtime between the early phases and the later ones, or started the whole thing a day earlier.

Not that I personally care since I can watch it but it's gonna hurt their numbers and shit. Not vital numbers by any means but a final played on sunday would get a lot more viewers than on a monday. At the same time, assuming they play the games around 10AM PDT on monday, that falls in prime time for europe and decent hours for china. If they don't expect US teams in the finals, then it's not so bad ^^.

Northerner

N00b
I think the prize split is about perfect. Hell, I'd even put a full 50% to winners.

You *really* want the top talent to want to WIN. No, not place well, not earn a living but motherfucking win the damned thing.

It's hard to translate a professional trophy's value into eSports so you just do it like poker. Win = $$. Not win = soso money. Not that the non-winners are going to go broke here but every team sure as fuck is going to aim for the prize.

Elerion

N00b
I think the prize split is about perfect. Hell, I'd even put a full 50% to winners.

You *really* want the top talent to want to WIN. No, not place well, not earn a living but motherfucking win the damned thing.

It's hard to translate a professional trophy's value into eSports so you just do it like poker. Win = $$. Not win = soso money. Not that the non-winners are going to go broke here but every team sure as fuck is going to aim for the prize.
I can't be arsed to go through 360 pages to find it, but we compared theoretical prize pools to sports events like ATP Tour a while back, and they are generally far more evenly spread.

In a sport where prize money is pretty much all you get, it's not healthy for the sport to give the first place winners enough to retire while the up-and-comers can't make a living.