Dota Underlords

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I'm pretty addicted to it at the moment. It's fun finding new combinations. Just lost to a team that got a 2 star Lich and a Refresher Orb. Yeah.....

Kiki

Log Wizard
Definitely OP. Sucks when I don't hit one.

I also find myself wishing I could stack items to see some insane combos like TFT.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How the hell are they balancing this game? I am going through the list and just stacking different combos and some are laughably terrible and others are face-roll wins. The fuck?

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
How the hell are they balancing this game? I am going through the list and just stacking different combos and some are laughably terrible and others are face-roll wins. The fuck?

Knights, Troll, Warriors and Mages are all top tier and viable with Warriors having a huge variety of end game builds to incorporate 3-6 of the other builds. I'd say you could win with anything as well if the RNG gods favor you and you get 5 3* on the board.

As I'm slogging away in Smuggler here I'd say economy management is the most important thing to winning sans the RNG gods favoring you.

Intropy

Shit Gamer

I'm Boss II and I'd say I've had winning games that have utilised just about every team comp in the game at this point at least once. Like Brando mentioned, econ is key. I usually play pretty opportunistically in early and mid-game while focusing on building a strong economy. I typically take whatever I think I can get to 2* in the early game, until about Round 15 where I usually have an idea about how I'm going to leverage whatever I've collected so far in terms of units and global items into an end-game comp. This strategy has left me with some pretty surprising end-game compositions that end up performing better than you might think.

I don't really follow the meta, so maybe things are a bit more stale at the top tier (Big Boss+ levels), but ranking through lieutenant I've been surprised by the wide variety of strategies that can be successful.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
These builds offer a chance to win:

Early 3 warrior + support - given that the warrior bonus is 10 armor at 3 warriors, and only 15 armor at 6 warriors, it is incredibly flexible
Early 2 knights + support - knights supporting each other give a very large benefit, only 2 being needed makes this another flexible build
Early 2 druids + support - it is impossible for most builds to beat the two druid synergy early game

Any combination of the above is going to lead to a win streak, which will boost your economy and result in more snowballing.

Any combination that doesn't involve the above is going to get slaughtered. Assassins are laughably weak, anyone that places their units in the back 2 rows will see assassins dive into their front line and get slaughtered. That isn't even mentioning how weak their units are, Sandking gets my vote for weakest unit ingame, it has terrible DPS, incredibly low HP, and noone cares about 10 armor on a deadbeat like that.

Trolls are obviously great support, but so heavily contested I tend to avoid them unless I can start out with a bat rider which allows the knight path. I will buy batrider over any other unit on turn 1.

Mages get hard countered by scaled units, which can be incorporated into any of the winning combinations easily. Warlock healing builds are cute, but just don't cut it. Trust me I tried. Hard.

Stuff like savage requires 4+ units to get significant benefits, which is simply too much unless it is incorporated in one of the winning builds. Elusive is nice at the 9 unit mark, but at that point you are already fighting for the top 3-4 positions, and a better build would have already secured the first place.

Getting lucky with items or RNG can change the above, but it is rare.

Game needs some updates to prevent it from becoming stale.

Knights, Troll, Warriors and Mages are all top tier and viable with Warriors having a huge variety of end game builds to incorporate 3-6 of the other builds. I'd say you could win with anything as well if the RNG gods favor you and you get 5 3* on the board.

Mages are absolute ass tier once you meet people that understand how scaled units affect them.

Last edited:

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Warlock healing builds are cute, but just don't cut it. Trust me I tried. Hard.

Hard disagree. I end up incorporating warlocks into almost every comp through mid to late game. Warlocks even without synergy are some of the best units at mid and late game:

Enigma - Top damage dealer at end game, hard counter again warriors especially
Alch - AOE armor decrease, decent tank
Disruptor - AOE silence/miss chance
Necrolyte - Best healer in the game, key for survivability at end-game vs enemy AOEs
Shadow Fiend - Top mid-game damage
Venomancer - Can be top mid-game damage with Tooth and Claw global

Given that any of these units are extremely powerful on their own, and you often need one anyway to complete other alliances (ie. Necro for Heartless, Witch Doctor for trolls, Mr. Warlock for meme Bloodbound builds, Veno for Savage, etc.) there is almost no reason not to get a second Warlock for the alliance since several of them are top end-game picks anyway. On top of all that the Warlock alliance can basically double the health of some of your best units, its a no-brainer at mid-late game when everyone is tossing massive single target damage and AOEs around.

Last edited:

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Hard disagree. I end up incorporating warlocks into almost every comp through mid to late game. Warlocks even without synergy are some of the best units at mid and late game:

Enigma - Top damage dealer at end game, hard counter again warriors especially
Alch - AOE armor decrease, decent tank
Disruptor - AOE silence/miss chance
Necrolyte - Best healer in the game, key for survivability at end-game vs enemy AOEs
Shadow Fiend - Top mid-game damage
Venomancer - Can be top mid-game damage with Tooth and Claw global

Given that any of these units are extremely powerful on their own, and you often need one anyway to complete other alliances (ie. Necro for Heartless, Witch Doctor for trolls, Mr. Warlock for meme Bloodbound builds, Veno for Savage, etc.) there is almost no reason not to get a second Warlock for the alliance since several of them are top end-game picks anyway. On top of all that the Warlock alliance can basically double the health of some of your best units, its a no-brainer at mid-late game when everyone is tossing massive single target damage and AOEs around.

Those don't have any synergy with the top tier units.

You can buy whatever you want, bat knight -> luna is going to shit on your warlock comp early, and late.

Pretty much everything you listed is 3-4 gold, and it would lose to 1-2 gold units from top tier.

Necrophos healing, like I said, is cute, until you see your shit getting instagibbed by a troll warlord or dragon knight breath, or pretty much everything else that is decent at end game.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
Those don't have any synergy with the top tier units.

You can buy whatever you want, bat knight -> luna is going to shit on your warlock comp early, and late.

Pretty much everything you listed is 3-4 gold, and it would lose to 1-2 gold units from top tier.

Necrophos healing, like I said, is cute, until you see your shit getting instagibbed by a troll warlord or dragon knight breath, or pretty much everything else that is decent at end game.

you are wrong
fight me

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
This game you just win with comps and it's like, I'm not really sure why I'm winning. I should have screenshot. I had 6 beast, 3 druid (no nature's prophet), 4 Warrior (Doom Kunka). Savage passive, Summon stone. Just crushed completely. At the end had BKB on Kunka, Reaver on Doom, Blademail on Tree

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I don’t agree with almost anything Punko is saying as I think it’s terrible advice. But that’s also kind of what the game is. If you get a 3* AM at Round 9 then your probably winning regardless of how stupid the strat is.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I just had a game go to round fucking 55. Both had mages, we just melted each other the whole time and had a ton of draws. Apparently there aren't any creeps when you get to round 55, you just keep pvp.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Delly

Trakanon Raider
This seems like one of my go-to builds even with trolls heavily contested. Didn't lose a round with this. I did start with druids and move over to knights. Plus two of my item picks (warlock global and human global) were trash. The round with the human global I had all globals with none of my synergies.

Brand

Molten Core Raider
I've been stuck at Boss 3 for a while now...I just can't seem to break though to Big Boss.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
I'm up to Lieutenant now. Knights is the most reliable for me but I find Mages probably the most fun for how much ass they can kick if you get it setup right. Mage passive + refresher and I made up a 60-70 point game multiple games in a row.

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
I feel like any time I aim for any particular build is when I'm knocking myself out early. Even when I'm obviously being fed Knights or Trolls or something I am actively trying not to think about them after ~round 20 or else I get too focused on the synergies when I should just throw out the 2* Abaddons or Batriders for 1* legendaries or even Disruptor/Alchemists