Draegan sold the site to MMORPG.com

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Man how hard is it to maintain a fucking community message board? This drama is retarded. Not trying to sound ungrateful but fuck dude, this community is old as fuck with like 400 committed assholes who've been at it closing in on 20 years.
Gilg it cant really be that hard, our old emarr board from 2002 is still up and running even if it is mostly inactive now.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Meh I will just browse both, whoever ends up with staying power suits me just fine. People are naive though if they think new site wont have its share of idiot mods, power-hungry morons or someone trying to make a quick buck off it.

The act of making money off the site I have no problem with, its the secrecy in which it was done and the complete silence about it. If it really was just to dump the LLc/tax and just didn't have the time to manage it, then that should of just been said however many months ago this was going on, but to be all secretive about it nor ask the people who make this forum worth anything at all their opinion was shady.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
Man rough year eh? First the Rams and now this!!!
I might not auto+ you on the new site this time!

Yes, I am butthurt about the Rams.

It sucks because it really is fair to you L.A. guys. It is. I can't deny it. I still hate Kroenke but whatever. A win is a win. Good for him. I just wish we could get the Cardinals back. Love my city. It was Rams, Mike Brown, Gravy, and now this. It's bullshit. I demand Allah Reroll the universe in my favor in the afterlife!

Big Flex

Fitness Fascist
Not to be combative, but that's the same logic a battered wife uses to stay with an abusive husband. It's only barely relevant, the strength of our community is the users, not the content.

Again, as proven in the past, we'll just remake new content, therfore the best course of action is the one that preserves the most active users, not the most content.
well said m8

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
God's work being done, might want to put LachiusTZ on ignore here . . . or some images seared into your brain.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Other than 1.5 million posts in almost 10k threads in a familiar format...

Having a lifeboat ready in case things go sour is not a bad idea though.
Yes who doesn't want to go through 10,000 pages of Toonamba and Lithose, oh so much value!

Seriously this forum isn't that valuable, why buy it except to destroy it?

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Everyone butthurt at me is more than welcome to stay here and talk among themselves.

This isn't about me. Its about keeping a long term community together and under the rubrik of internal, not external, ownership.

It is that simple.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
God's work being done, might want to put LachiusTZ on ignore here . . . or some images seared into your brain.
Leave it to the God-Botherer to be willing and able to go there.

"Generally speaking, good people will do as much good as they can, and bad people will do as much bad as they can. But if you want good people to do bad things.... you are going to need Religion."

Do your worst, Lach you tool.

Szlia

You automatically lose most content and some users in a move, so it should be a last resort, not a reaction to the possibly of maybe something negative happening. The new husband in your battered wife analogy did exactly nothing so far except providing a less shoddy house.

Simas_sl

shitlord
I'm glad there's a spot set up to go if things don't work out here, but I'm in the camp that until the new owners pull some shit we might as well stay here. Moving itself is not without risk. There's new mods, etc. Don't want to move, kill this place, and then the new place is just Hoofshots 2.0.

Praetorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
What if this is all a scam to get people to go to the new site so that the new site can be sold. Kinda like Inception but with fat chicks, trannies and airplane derails.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
You automatically lose most content and some users in a move, so it should be a last resort, not a reaction to the possibly of maybe something negative happening. The new husband in your battered wife analogy did exactly nothing so far except providing a less shoddy house.
Uh, no, the new "husband" didn't even announce the couple was married for the first month.

They tried to keep everything completely concealed for as long as possible.

That's not "nothing".

That's a big "thing".

That's the death of trust in a new relationship.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Only legit argument is "MMORPG could roll this into their mega forums then moving is impossible".

As long as as many people as possible know about the life raft, then shouldnt be an issue. Over 600 people signed up so seems the core will know where to go if we load this site up tomorrow and it's full of 15 year old PS4 kids.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's a risky game for us, which I think is why so many are pretty open minded about leaving.

Eventually, it's pretty much a given, they're going to be like "Why are we hosting this messed up forum? Let's dump it and/or change it to something palatable."

When that happens, we're screwed. It'll be another one of those middle of the night "where'd the forums disappear to" things, and we have to go to Reddit or IRC or whatever the fuck other avenues we used to contact everyone.
That's largely why I'm open-minded about moving. I doubt the forums ended up in mmorpg.com's hands because they had an interest in our community. They just got it as part of a package deal to get Rerollz/Junkies. Despite Draegan's best efforts, the connection between this forum and his MMO media empire was always minimal. We aren't the official forums of Junkies Nation and we wouldn't want to be. Also, based on what we've been told in the past, these forums barely generated enough money to cover its costs.

So, realistically, what value does this forum have to someone who isn't part of the community? The only reason these forums have continued to operate for a more than 15 years is because we have wanted it to. It never was and never will be a money-maker, and I have a hard time believing mmorpg.com spent money without believing they would get a return on their investment. Of how much consequence would it be to them if down the road they decide they no longer want to spend the money to keep these forums operational? Again, they have no connection or investment in this community.

Ultimately, the changeover will result in one of three things: Best case, nothing changes. Worst case, they decide the forums cost more than they're worth and shut it down. Or, they realize they don't want to host certain content and start making changes in the rules. Having a member of the community running things obviously may still result in one of the first two possibilities, but I at least feel a lot safer with this site being community run that it won't result in the third. Despite what you may feel about a_skeleton_03, you can't deny he doesn't have a longstanding commitment to these forums. He - unlike, I suspect, mmorpg.com - knows what he's getting by hosting the forums.

I think it comes down to: Do people trust mmorpg.com or a_skeleton_03 more to not object to how this community is run and make changes?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
my question is why would an outsider want to buy this board? is there that much ad revenue generated from it? ive had adblock on for 4 years and i assume most here do as well, specially after the malware shitfest the old FoH board turned ino.

GeneralF

Golden Knight of the Realm
I find it really funny that the liberal posters want to stay under the big government administration, risk (hope?) more PC moderation and maintain the status quo at the risk of getting fucked later.

Carry on.