Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Those prima people have to make bank, I see people with or bragging about those guides all the time and they are not cheap.

khorum

Murder Apologist
They don't.

An artbook would've been better and god knows David Gaider's prolly written enough extra copy to stuff a novella or two in there.

Charging 120 bucks for a strategy guide and a promo pen pretty much tells you exactly what bioware thinks of the people who would still trust them after DA2.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why the fuck do people even buy strategy guides?
Depends on the game - I like to purchase some for filling out the bookcase but I don't touch them too much, sorta like how people buy novels they never read to show off.

(And I will say Inquisitor's Edition has me somewhat tempted - $100 would be an instant sale for me I think, $120 is causing me some hesitation to double it - I do love leather bookmarks though)

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Dude, fuck. I have the CE's and CE strat guides (Unopened) for the other games, and jesus christ they have one for Unity too?

I don't even have enough display cases for them, but god damn I'll probably do it anyways.

I imagine it has some artwork in it; a lot of the CE strat guides do and will even bundle lithos. The Inquisitor's edition of the game doesn't have an artbook though, but I guess that ridiculously priced book from the Bioware store sort of takes the place of it. (Yea I have that too, admittedly I got a 50% discount, woo, and I now own two copies because the bitches put the first copy in a box just as big as the book, meaning when the corner got dented, ding ding, so did the book you flipping retards. So I called them, made them send me another, and while I offered to send the first one back apparently it was more trouble for them, so they told me to rip the first page of the book out and send them a picture, lol.)

Why the fuck do people even buy strategy guides?
Some of them are really lovely; if it's a game I'm stoked for enough to buy a CE I'll probably get the strat guide too to complete my display. The Black Flag CE was pretty awesome, although I wish I had been able to get my hands on the Black Chest addition they had in the UK, but alas. The strat guide for that was a gorgeous book with a cover wrap of Kenway; I'm thinking of opening it just so I can use it as my backdrop but I'm really bad at opening any CE that doesn't require me to get a code out of it.

This DA:I CE looks pretty exquisite. It's such a waste of money but this shit gets my rocks off. I don't want to know if they have a Far Cry 4 one because ugh.

And the Injustice CE strat guide had a sweet ass Joker litho that I absolutely needed. NEEDED. (It helps that it sits above the Joker statue I got from the Origins CE.)

Yes, I am a consumer whore.

Edit: Oh and they did do an artbook:The Art of Dragon Age: Inquisition

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
The best Strategy Guide I ever got came with the game:
earthbound-newspaper.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I got a strategy guide for Primal Rage once. I remember feeling very betrayed when I found out there were cheat codes for that game that weren't in the guide!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Regarding the recent trailers/gameplay videos

Game developers need to stop trying to sound overly dramatic/cool. I can't be the only one that cringes when developers do videos like this with such voiceovers.

As to the video above, I can command other party members to drink potions? No really?

Not a one thing except perhaps ability to move then set defend/attack points was new in terms of gameplay mechanics. Other than that it just listed the same features we've come to expect from RPGs since... rpgs.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I got a strategy guide for Primal Rage once. I remember feeling very betrayed when I found out there were cheat codes for that game that weren't in the guide!
You are master of the new Urth. Trying to explain that game to people these days is just...awful. "You were a dinosaur, you fought to the death...shit was bananas." "What you mean like Killer Instinct?" "Yes. No. Go to your room."

Regarding the recent trailers/gameplay videos

Game developers need to stop trying to sound overly dramatic/cool. I can't be the only one that cringes when developers do videos like this with such voiceovers.

As to the video above, I can command other party members to drink potions? No really?

Not a one thing except perhaps ability to move then set defend/attack points was new in terms of gameplay mechanics. Other than that it just listed the same features we've come to expect from RPGs since... rpgs.
I believe what they are trying to show is a bit more than you took from it. The AI on previous games was horrendous; the AI in this game seems to be expanded enough to make commands mean something a little bit more. There was far less of "walking into stupid shit" that I could see in the demo, and commands seemed to hold for far longer.

khorum

Murder Apologist

That might be old hat to you and me... but to the sort of chumps who'd dish out $120 for a box with a promo pen? That shit is revolutionary.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
rrr_img_72316.jpg
yeah boyyyyy
Jesus, how many of us bought that stupid ass guide? I remember being so little thinking that that book was the coolest thing in the fucking world. I remember having the Diablo guide too. What a complete waste of money those guides were. The EQ one especially, since a strategy guide for an MMO is obsolete in one f'n patch.

I believe what they are trying to show is a bit more than you took from it. The AI on previous games was horrendous; the AI in this game seems to be expanded enough to make commands mean something a little bit more. There was far less of "walking into stupid shit" that I could see in the demo, and commands seemed to hold for far longer.
Wow, yes! The party member pathing in Dragon Age 2 was the worst Ive ever seen in a game. That DLC shit where the boss at the end of the crypt raises walls to create a maze as he spins around the room with fire? Fuck that mess if you did it on a difficulty that didnt let you cheese on the outside edge of that shit. Moving each party member separately to the correct path. Press Space, let them start running to that spot, see one of your party members take a left into a dead end that was so tight that fire would kill them before you could get them out - shit just made me want to scream.

Budos

Golden Knight of the Realm
vanguards got a shit rep because 80% of the player base just charge-nova spamm'd, basically slowing everything down through the easy waves by stopping the enemies from coming in LOS to everyone, and then in hard waves they died quickly. The other 20% were good enough to not die but still disrupted the flow and messed people up / slowed everything down. The only time they really shined were in organized groups and difficult content where they could disrupt the flow in a positive way.

To be fair, I loved charge-nova the shit out of everything on my vanguard in silver.
Asari vanguard was a slaughter fest on silver. Charge and ae heavy melee all day.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Holy shit, fucking Hawke and the Warden in this trailer:

Dragon Age: Inquisition Gamescon Trailer

God this is giving me hope. I specifically said what they needed to do was let you recruit your old characters or at least let them show up and jesus, fucking amazing.

Wonder if they retconned the default Hawke then to female.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Will be kinda hard to care about my DAI character if I have my God-like warden in my squad!