Dragon Age: Inquisition (Plot Details in Spoilers!)

Sulrn

Deuces
So what's the point of using destructible environment as a selling point of the new engine when they limit it to "strategic" use. What's the difference between destructibles in DA:I and DA:O when they're pre-selected and placed by the devs? Nothing besides the engine you're pressing 'A' in.

Curious to see whether or not the game comes out as fleshed out as Divinity II was supposed to be prior to production or if it suffers the same fate.

Dynalisia

Lord Nagafen Raider
Some nice footage of the game in action. Fighting gameplay seems a lot like Kingdoms of Amalur to me. They even copied some moves from the Amalur warrior type. World exploration/interaction seems a like The Witcher. Considering these two games were praised for those aspects, it's looking like Bioware's strategy is to take the good stuff from other RPG's and merging it for a home run. While this might be good, I just hope they don't end up with a completely unbalanced game that still has no resemblance to Origins.

30 Minutes Of Very Pretty Dragon Age: Inquisition Footage

Fadaar

That guy
Some nice footage of the game in action. Fighting gameplay seems a lot like Kingdoms of Amalur to me. They even copied some moves from the Amalur warrior type. World exploration/interaction seems a like The Witcher. Considering these two games were praised for those aspects, it's looking like Bioware's strategy is to take the good stuff from other RPG's and merging it for a home run. While this might be good, I just hope they don't end up with a completely unbalanced game that still has no resemblance to Origins.

30 Minutes Of Very Pretty Dragon Age: Inquisition Footage
Gameplay/combat wasn't the primary issue for most people in DA2 and ME3, it was the story and the complete lack of choices meaning a single fucking thing in the end. I really hope Bioware removes head from ass in DA:I in that regard.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gameplay/combat wasn't the primary issue for most people in DA2 and ME3, it was the story and the complete lack of choices meaning a single fucking thing in the end. I really hope Bioware removes head from ass in DA:I in that regard.
When DA2 was being shown off, there were a lot of people who complained about the switch from DA:O's more strategic based combat in favor of a more action based one. That's one of the reasons people would sarcastically refer to the sequel as "Dragon Effect". It looks like they're going for more of a hybrid of the two in this one.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Granted this is personal opinion, but I found the combat/gameplay in DA2 to be downright horrible compared to Origins. The two games had nothing in common to me other than the names. One was, as promised, a sort of spiritual successor to Baldurs Gate, the other..... everything I find wrong with the gaming industry. Attracting to the lowest common denominator by making everything streamlined and removing all tactics and thinking in favor for a fast paced experience. Can't have alienating casuals who goes into a meltdown if they have to think of their next move instead of just moving towards something and pressing X twice for a graphical combo autowin. Because gaming is supposed to be fun, and fun is only autowinning at all times.

Above reason is also why mmos are ruined.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The combat was fine but the encounter design was really bad. Those two parts can sometimes be hard to separate but the biggest problem with it was the wave based system.

With strategy games there's something of a contract with a player that you enter in a new encounter, you see all the game pieces and while you're not sure what's going to happen you have an idea. You can then make choices in the game and see the choices play out. Most encounters in DA2 broke this contract by having multiple being thrown in in a really cheap way. It got to the point where I didn't even bother blowing my cooldowns until shit got real intense.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The combat was just so ass dude. The inability to zoom out and up and the total lack of real control without switching entire viewpoints and shit was awful. Fuck its been awhile but the first half hour of the game the combat was so radically altered from what it should be I couldn't continue. I barely got through the tutorial before just saying "Fuck this."

Removing the ability to zoom out and up and switch rapidly between characters and see how you're placing spells and control where your tank is positioned relative to the rest of your team and all the micro bullshit that made Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and DAO good was gone, replaced with a melee and spells version of Mass Effect combat that I just couldn't stand.

Fuck man even that goddamn Xcom The Bureau Mass Effect style rip off combat was better done.

It makes me so mad. I really loved DA:O on the pc. Then they turned all the PC controls into console controls and took away the pc control style completely. It totally destroyed the game for me and I do feel it was the combat.

The spawning in more dudes was also awful, I'm not saying it wasn't, but the combat was completely fucked.

I can't think of a single title I've hated more in my entire life than I hated DA2. I honestly can't. I can tolerate some goddamn bullshit from a video game, too. If I can't make it through your tutorial because you've so fundamentally altered the formula that your sequel no longer resembles the original title in any meaningful way, that's just not good in my view. That's a recipe for a bad video game sequel.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I thought the combat was fine. I mean, fine in a boring way, but not bad in an unplayable way. My only real problem with the game was the re-used areas and the lack of interesting monsters.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
30mins of gameplay.Filmed with a phone. Not terrible quality though. But 30mins is 30mins. Game looks amazing.

EDIT: Fuck this a repost. My bad, didn't see Dynalisia link like 5 posts above. /facepalm

Jait

Molten Core Raider
DA2 was the TES: Redguard of the series. This looks like a melee version of TES:Battlespire.

I want an actual sequel with Wardens and Blights, shit like that :/

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I thought the combat was fine. I mean, fine in a boring way, but not bad in an unplayable way. My only real problem with the game was the re-used areas and the lack of interesting monsters.
If it had been released as itself, as a different name title, just as a random RPG, then I don't think I would have disliked it as much. However, as it came from Origins, which again was modeled after the style of Baldurs Gate, Dragons Age 2 just departed much too far from its Origins (lame pun intended). They are so different they might as well be different genres. If you never played Origins, or didn't like that gameplay, then... sure, I can see how DA2 could be a mediocre fun game. However, having loved Origins, then getting to play DA 2, that game was utter shit compared to its predecessor. Nearly every feature was gimped. Interactions, choices, tactics, gameplay. It was all simplified and dumbed down into a game that I think you can use as the epitome of "consolitis".

Compared to the game it originated from, I think I would agree that it is one of the worst games I have ever played. Sure, there are games that are "worse", indie games, and the one that shall not be named (Daikata....), but those never had a fantastic first game. The step down in.... everything, from DA:Origins to DA:2 is the biggest I have ever seen or experienced as a gamer. In terms of disappointment, I can't think of a single game that have let me down more. Sure, it is better than Duke Nukem Forever and Daika..., but I never expected much of anything from those in the end. DA 2 was hyped as being built upon a foundation I loved and ended up not containing a single bit of it. It turned the franchise from having a first game designed to appeal to one type of genre/gamer followed by a sequel that shit upon everything related to that.

But anyways, as to DA: Inquisition.... It looks fun for the game it is, but as others stated, it seems to have far more in common with Kingdoms of Amalur than Dragon Age: Origins.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The combat was just so ass dude. The inability to zoom out and up and the total lack of real control without switching entire viewpoints and shit was awful. Fuck its been awhile but the first half hour of the game the combat was so radically altered from what it should be I couldn't continue. I barely got through the tutorial before just saying "Fuck this."
I agree that the DAO style controls were better but the new control system was fine.
30mins of gameplay.Filmed with a phone. Not terrible quality though. But 30mins is 30mins. Game looks amazing.

EDIT: Fuck this a repost. My bad, didn't see Dynalisia link like 5 posts above. /facepalm

I watched until they secured the keep. The artwork looks good and overall feel is good. The goals they seem to point to sound good with making the player's choice impact the game. But it's easier to build a narrative when you're running the character on rails and peeking at everything. Sometimes the guise of choice and consequence is only shattered on a second playthrough, and sometimes it doesn't even stand that much.

I do like the idea of having a main event (keep siege) and having a bunch of supporting elements lead up to that main event. The main goal is to defend the keep and minimize losses, and the player's skill, choices and effort determined how successful you are. That's the core of what the mass effect franchise was, except that at the end you find it's all bullshit and the culmination of the galaxy is defined by a single choice with no depth or gameplay.

So yeah, it looks good but so did DA2.

Sean_sl

shitlord
Footage looks great to me. Definitely buying DAI, though I didn't hate DA2 as much as every one else.

DA2:
Combat system itself was great and the controls were so much better than DAO. It's just the encounter design was absurdly horrid. Talent trees and character ability customization was massively better.

Voiced protagonist is vastly superior, silent protagonists do not work well in more cinematic games like this. Hawke's personality wheel is way the fuck better than Shepard's Renegade/Paragon shit.

Having limited interaction with party member's equipment kinda sucked, but there was a lot more customization there than what people downplay. There were multiple armor upgrades for people and lots of socketing stuff. Plus you had full weapon/accessory control.

The shitty environmental art asset reuse was completely inexcusable and fuck Bioware for that.

The story was really pretty good up until Act 3, then it did some really retarded shit. The Templar side of things was actually pretty good sans Meredith going nuts, that was unnecessary and dumb. Anyways, the Templars were quite justified in their actions. Through out the game, no matter which side you went through and what choices you picked, Blood Mages popped up and fucked with you every damn time and came back to bite you in the ass no matter how lenient you were and how well you treated them. The Mages were 100% dickheads 100% of the time and got what was coming to them. So I enjoyed the Templar side of things. The Mages side was some really atrocious as fuck writing though.

Also, fuck Bioware for ruining Anders. Anders was a fantastic character in DA: Awakening and they just totally changed and destroyed his character and it was stupid as hell.

Seriously, almost every single Mage was a total shithead except for Bethany, who is a great sister, and Merrill who didsomestupid shit, but I love Merrill and she is totally my waifu.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
I'm glad I'm not the only person who hated the 'parachuting reinforcements' enemy encounter bullshit. Over and over and over again in the same four fucking places for an entire game. Fuck.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm glad I'm not the only person who hated the 'parachuting reinforcements' enemy encounter bullshit. Over and over and over again in the same four fucking places for an entire game. Fuck.
I don't think anybody likes the parachuting reinforcements.

I remember when the early release demo got out and they had the reinforcement wave shit and everyone was like, "Wow, did they throw this demo together in a few minutes at the end or something? I really hope the real encounters aren't like that."

Sean_sl

shitlord
I don't think anybody likes the parachuting reinforcements.

I remember when the early release demo got out and they had the reinforcement wave shit and everyone was like, "Wow, did they throw this demo together in a few minutes at the end or something? I really hope the real encounters aren't like that."
Yeah, I think DA2's waves of enemies is only equaled in revilement by Mass Effect 3's ending.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Footage looks great to me. Definitely buying DAI, thoughI didn't hate DA2 as much as every one else.

DA2:
Combat system itself was greatand the controls were so much better than DAO. It's just theencounter design was absurdly horrid. Talent trees and character ability customization was massively better.

Voiced protagonist is vastly superior, silent protagonists do not work well in more cinematic games like this. Hawke's personality wheel is way the fuck better than Shepard's Renegade/Paragon shit.

Having limited interaction with party member's equipment kinda sucked, but there was a lot more customization there than what people downplay. There were multiple armor upgrades for people and lots of socketing stuff. Plus you had full weapon/accessory control.

The shitty environmental art asset reuse was completely inexcusable and fuck Bioware for that.

The story was really pretty good up until Act 3, then it did some really retarded shit. The Templar side of things was actually pretty good sans Meredith going nuts, that was unnecessary and dumb. Anyways, the Templars were quite justified in their actions. Through out the game, no matter which side you went through and what choices you picked, Blood Mages popped up and fucked with you every damn time and came back to bite you in the ass no matter how lenient you were and how well you treated them. The Mages were 100% dickheads 100% of the time and got what was coming to them. So I enjoyed the Templar side of things.The Mages side was some really atrocious as fuck writing though.

Also, fuck Bioware for ruining Anders. Anders was a fantastic character in DA: Awakening and they just totally changed and destroyed his character and it was stupid as hell.

Seriously, almost every single Mage was a total shithead except for Bethany, who is a great sister, and Merrill who didsomestupid shit, but I love Merrill and she is totally my waifu.
110%. This entire post, but especially in bold (and I would change party customization kinda sucked to FUCKING LAME AS HELL but I digress) were main factors of disappointment for me personally.